Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 21st, 2019, 07:58 AM   #1
hayley2003
Great Poster

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley
Default Movie: Free Solo

WOW.... this is an amazing movie. There is a lot more to this movie than most people might think. Its largely about getting into the mind of a guy who feels compelled to push his skills to the limit, putting his life on the line where slightest error will result in death.

Imagine playing a video game where if you die in the game, you would die in real life. How much practice would think you would need, and would you really ever be willing to take that risk in real life; betting everything you will win every single game, or die in real life? No do-overs, or try again next game.

This is not a movie about a being a thrilling seeker (thrill seeking can actually be very low risk). Its about a guy who wants to perfect his climbing skills to the highest level, and tests himself by "Free Soling"; rock climbing without ropes or any kind of backup plan if things go bad. Its do or die!

One kinda interesting thing arises, he has been single of many years, and for over 7 years he never been injury, then he get a serious gf, and suddenly within 30 days he has two semi-serious injuries during training. It could be just bad timing, but the movie suggests that what he does required 100% of his focus, 100% of the time, any distraction is likely to lead to his death. 99% is not good enough, because 99% mean an error will happen, any error means falling his death.

WOW!

Last edited by hayley2003; February 21st, 2019 at 08:06 AM.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:34 AM   #2
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita
Default Re: Movie: Free Solo

Heh, from just reading the title I first thought it was about freeing a captured Han Solo. xD

This looks interesting, why someone would do this to themselves and take such high risks is more than I understand, but I'll definitely watch this when it's available.

Thanks for the tip!

I see myself as a diplomat. Got a problem with that, asshole? Huh??
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultost View Post
Heh, from just reading the title I first thought it was about freeing a captured Han Solo. xD

This looks interesting, why someone would do this to themselves and take such high risks is more than I understand, but I'll definitely watch this when it's available.

Thanks for the tip!
Some people do it for the adrenaline. Some people do it for the challenge. Seeing how far you can go physically and mentally. I rock climb and boulder, my brother and dad do, my uncle does and works as a climbing guide and at a gym. I can definitely see why someone would be inclined to keep climbing to higher levels (pun intended).

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:02 AM   #4
hayley2003
Great Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mars View Post
Some people do it for the adrenaline. Some people do it for the challenge. Seeing how far you can go physically and mentally. I rock climb and boulder, my brother and dad do, my uncle does and works as a climbing guide and at a gym. I can definitely see why someone would be inclined to keep climbing to higher levels (pun intended).
You probably would like this movie. I thought it was going to be just one of those fun & cool movies like watching people skydive or surf, and other fun stuff. But, it was lots more about getting into to his mind. Kinda asking "Why does he push himself past normal limits". Not just normal limits, but past limits even his friends and climbers can't understand. In the movie, they have other climbing people say they are bewildered by how he can do what they can't do, and they are already the top rock climbers in the world.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:14 AM   #5
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Quote:
I do hope you're using ropes or the likes, at least, and don't take the literal "do or die" path.

Old February 21st, 2019, 01:48 PM   #6
hayley2003
Great Poster

Quote:
I do hope you're using ropes or the likes, at least, and don't take the literal "do or die" path.
That is what is super scary about Free Soling, there is no turning back. Imagine being 2000ft off the ground and getting to a point where you can't go further; there is no turning back or rescue.

The movies does point out that he does many practices runs with ropes. The movie doesn't say how many practice runs, but I got the impression it so many times with ropes that he knows every single step and hand hold. When the day comes when he feels 100% ready, he has done it so many times there is zero doubt in his mind that he will be successful. During practices runs part of what is going on in his mind is reaching that mental state where all doubt is gone, so when he climbs without ropes its no different than going for a walk or any other non threatening activity. Its like he has reach a point where he has no fear, even through a single error means he will fall to his death. He has to be laser prefect, or he dies.

Last edited by hayley2003; February 21st, 2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:54 PM   #7
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

It's a very scary thought, that would definitely be the worst time ever to get too tired to go on.

Ah, well then he at least has a pretty good idea of how to reach the top in one piece, but yeah, even professionals can slip up, no guarantees.

Old February 21st, 2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Bouldering is when your climbing low walls/rocks without ropes, but you do have mats (crash pads) underneath. Top roping and stuff yeah

Quote:
It's a very scary thought, that would definitely be the worst time ever to get too tired to go on.

Ah, well then he at least has a pretty good idea of how to reach the top in one piece, but yeah, even professionals can slip up, no guarantees.
There’s a lot of ways to rest while you’re climbing. Finding places where you can shake off your arms, or catch your breath is critical. These guys don’t go on free solo climbs without finding a path for it already.

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Quote:
Bouldering is when your climbing low walls/rocks without ropes, but you do have mats (crash pads) underneath. Top roping and stuff yeah

Theres a lot of ways to rest while youre climbing. Finding places where you can shake off your arms, or catch your breath is critical. These guys dont go on free solo climbs without finding a path for it already.
That's good to hear, got to have something at the bottom to break the fall.
And that makes sense, I can't imagine anyone can make such a climb in one go, they'll have to find a spot or two to rest on at some point.

I know next to nothing about climbing. xD

Old February 21st, 2019, 03:17 PM   #10
karacoustic
Bad Wolf

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley2003 View Post
You probably would like this movie. I thought it was going to be just one of those fun & cool movies like watching people skydive or surf, and other fun stuff. But, it was lots more about getting into to his mind. Kinda asking "Why does he push himself past normal limits". Not just normal limits, but past limits even his friends and climbers can't understand. In the movie, they have other climbing people say they are bewildered by how he can do what they can't do, and they are already the top rock climbers in the world.
This sounds so fascinating and INTENSE, Hayley!! Just to get a glimpse into his head and what drives him. People who put death on the line for sake of a hobby. That is crazy to me!! But so interesting. You would say he considers it more than simple "hobby" though?

Quote:
I was thinking Hope Solo myself.

Quote:
I am not so sure about rock climbing!! But bouldering seems like a fine place to start. I would try that. beyond that who knows? I am sure i am capable of far more then i think i am.

"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams."
-The Doctor

Last edited by karacoustic; February 21st, 2019 at 03:31 PM.
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2019, 03:20 PM   #11
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
I was thinking Hope Solo myself.
Glad I'm not the only one. xD

Old February 25th, 2019, 06:08 PM   #12
ashleigh7
Awesome Poster

ashleigh7's Forum Picture

Name: ashleigh

Awesome movie!!!! A little terrifying...But totally awesome!
ashleigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 10:44 PM   #13
Ashley2004
Awesome Poster

Ashley2004's Forum Picture

Name: Ashley

This was just on TV tonight so I decided to watch. That guy is crazy! Can't believe someone would want to try that but good for him for doing it. Very unique story. I can't help but wonder if they would have released it if he fell though.
Ashley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:45 AM   #14
hayley2003
Great Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2004 View Post
This was just on TV tonight so I decided to watch. That guy is crazy! Can't believe someone would want to try that but good for him for doing it. Very unique story. I can't help but wonder if they would have released it if he fell though.
Last summer I took a film class just for fun, but it turned out to be really interesting about how movies and documentaries get made.

First off, they never start editing the movie until they have filmed everything, and its the the final footage that decides what stories can be told. The means that often many different stories can be told depending on which stories make for the most compelling movie. And some stories can't be told or don't fit well together.

In the case of "Free Solo" if he had died, they clearly would had made a very different movie, or decided not to make one at all. If they did make a movie, most likely it would have been about his entire climbing career and all the amazing climbs he had done in the past, leading up to the climb where he dies. My best guess, is they never would have included any footage of his final death climb, the movie might have just ended as he is about to start his final climb, then have some concluding text saying something like: 'Alex Honnold lost his footing while climbing El Captian, and fell to his death on June 4th, 2017."

... but who knows what they would have done if he had died, and because he succeeded, that other movie will never be made about this climb. It might be made in the future if he continues to push the limits until, like they say in the movie, he finds the edge where he can't go any further. Free soloing requires elite climbing skills, but all skills diminish with age, so a person can't keep pushing the limits because the limits only get harder and harder, while skills will start to fade.