Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 19th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #1
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

Allover Kelly's Forum Picture

Name: Kelly
Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family
Default Hanging out with Dad and learning about him.

On Friday night my Dad asked me if I want to go with him to his VFW. I said sure, funny how when you don't party much you have a lot of time. When we were on the way all he asked was not to ask much of the people there. We got there and it was people of all ages like other then me the youngest was the Bartender she told me she was 28 and a Vet. I was told I could drink off the AA menu. Yea, soda, coffee, water or if I want to get wild, Tea. The oldest was a guy I thing was like 90.
I found out so much about my Dad there. We walked in and I heard, "Hey Chief who's the Cutie" and another guy called out, "Chief, how the fuck you doing" Then they all started to talk to me and wanted to know what I was doing with this 'Old Fart". By the end of the night I found out my Dad was in Desert Storm and Iraq Freedom and a few other places. Dad really does not talk much about what he did. But here one guy said "If some one brags about killing someone. He never did". We went to the Gold Star. Then dad told me it was for the members that died. I learned so much that night about my Dad. I knew he was a SEAL but he never talked much about it. He did something that night that surprised me. He asked if I ever saw the numbers on his back. I said I never really looked. One of the guys with us told my Dad to show me and tell me what it was for. He took off his shirt and on his right shoulder was a line of 9 numbers. He asked if I knew what it was for. I said no. One of the other guys said, " That is your Dads service number, it was there cause if the body was blown up that part with be one of the biggest parts left and it can be IDed that way." I started to cry when other guys showed their numbers. Or other ways they could be IDed if they where blown up. We were there for like 4 hours. These guys liked to talk and do what they called swap lies.
You might not know much about your parents or Grandparents, but talk to them and let them talk and you sit back and really hear what they are telling you. I'm 15 but at times I feel so old from all the shit I have done. In a bad way. Well we had a fun time shooting pool and learning to play darts. I want to talk to everyone there and hear their stories.

Thanks for letting me have this place to talk
Allover Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:46 PM   #2
karacoustic
Bad Wolf

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara
Default Re: Hanging out with Dad and learning about him.

Wow! Yeah It makes sense though that to really learn some things about someone you talk to their old buddies too. But i am with you, so sad about the numbers. i am not sure i could keep it together either. glad to hear it was a positive eperience and you have definitely encouraged me to spend some time some of my own family members and learn more stories. Thanks for sharing, Kelly.

"I am and always will be the optimist, the hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams."
-The Doctor
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family

Here is something to think of, ALL the Classic Rock that we like, our parents and grandparents heard it first. I have seen pictures of my step Mom in her teens and when she meet my Dad. She was hot and I would love the clothing she wore.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:09 PM   #4
ska8er
Frozen

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allover Kelly View Post
On Friday night my Dad asked me if I want to go with him to his VFW. I said sure, funny how when you don't party much you have a lot of time. When we were on the way all he asked was not to ask much of the people there. We got there and it was people of all ages like other then me the youngest was the Bartender she told me she was 28 and a Vet. I was told I could drink off the AA menu. Yea, soda, coffee, water or if I want to get wild, Tea. The oldest was a guy I thing was like 90.
I found out so much about my Dad there. We walked in and I heard, "Hey Chief who's the Cutie" and another guy called out, "Chief, how the fuck you doing" Then they all started to talk to me and wanted to know what I was doing with this 'Old Fart". By the end of the night I found out my Dad was in Desert Storm and Iraq Freedom and a few other places. Dad really does not talk much about what he did. But here one guy said "If some one brags about killing someone. He never did". We went to the Gold Star. Then dad told me it was for the members that died. I learned so much that night about my Dad. I knew he was a SEAL but he never talked much about it. He did something that night that surprised me. He asked if I ever saw the numbers on his back. I said I never really looked. One of the guys with us told my Dad to show me and tell me what it was for. He took off his shirt and on his right shoulder was a line of 9 numbers. He asked if I knew what it was for. I said no. One of the other guys said, " That is your Dads service number, it was there cause if the body was blown up that part with be one of the biggest parts left and it can be IDed that way." I started to cry when other guys showed their numbers. Or other ways they could be IDed if they where blown up. We were there for like 4 hours. These guys liked to talk and do what they called swap lies.
You might not know much about your parents or Grandparents, but talk to them and let them talk and you sit back and really hear what they are telling you. I'm 15 but at times I feel so old from all the shit I have done. In a bad way. Well we had a fun time shooting pool and learning to play darts. I want to talk to everyone there and hear their stories.

Thanks for letting me have this place to talk
Kelly great story of the experience u had at the VFW. Usually the guys after they had a few too many drinks in them start fighting the war all over but it is an experience to listen to them cause they like to talk-usually the WW2 Vets which there r not too many left. The VietNam Vets don't seem to want to talk about what they went through there so even if u ask them a question they will some how change the subject. I never experienced this in a VFW though my GrandDad is a vet and likes his VFW. The most time I talked at length with a
veteran was in A Veterans Hospital where sometimes my Dad would do a rotation there. The men and women always like company cause they r boxed in all day and like to hear what either is happening at home or in ur life. I listened to this one VietNam Vet who was playing folk and hippie music on cassette tapes and I said that I like that kind and Classic Rock. It was a good entertainment and we bonded. If anyone wants to do something good visit a Veterans Hospital and talk to some of them. I don't get there too often now cause my Dad no longer works in government but on his own. But it was a great post again Kelly-Loved it.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

I know my Dad will open up when he is ready, but meeting his friends has been cool. Try all stress over and over to be your own person. We have a stack of wood that Dad goes out to split ans do what he calls "Alone Time". One day he was pissed and he split a bunch of wood. He also goes to the work out gym where his friends go and work out a spar, I really want to go there just to see how they are. One guy saw his tattoo on his arm and ask what it was, It is an Just a date. I know it is the date he made Chief, but he told the guy it was just a date. I asked why did me not tell him what it meant. All he said was he would not understand why someone would put a date on your arm.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 03:20 AM   #6
dawson123
Banned

great story, thanks for sharing
dawson123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #7
rgconrad23
Member+

rgconrad23's Forum Picture

Name: Richard

That’s awesome and I agree. I love to hear my grandparents tell their stories about their life.

"Why fit in when you were born to STANDOUT!"
- Dr. Seuss

16 - Male - Bi
Let's chat!
rgconrad23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2019, 07:32 AM   #8
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

In May my dad will be going to a reunion with guys he was in the Navy with. in Norfolk, VA He asked everyone here at home who would like to go with him. All of the others said no. So it will be the first trip with just us. It will be nice to see where he worked and guys he was with.
Old March 9th, 2019, 02:15 PM   #9
Dmaxd123
Nice Poster

the trip in may sounds fun, hopefully decent weather in Virginia that time of year
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:07 PM   #10
Emilyfox
Banned

Name: Emily

He sounds like an amazing man
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 09:12 PM   #11
Pyromaniac27
Member+

Pyromaniac27's Forum Picture

Name: Cody

I totally agree, people tend to spend a lot of time on their phones and computers and rarely talking with their parents. Its amazing what you can learn by sitting down and having a conversation with your family

Hi i'm cody, i used to be a really unpleasant, depressed person, but i've gotten over that

Feel free to msg me if you ever are in a bad situation in life and want some advise, or if you just wanna chat.
Pyromaniac27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2019, 11:39 PM   #12
KatieCO2003
Great Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

My Grandpa died from Agent Orange poisoning when I was 3. I never got to know him. But I've since learned that he was an artilleryman in Viet Nam and served in all of the pivotal battles in 1967 & '68 including Khe Sahn. Most of what I've learned has been from vintage news reports that have been posted on YouTube. Daddy says Grandpa never really talked about the war and even he was surprised by some of the things we're learned. We were watching one where helicopters were supplying a place called Gio Linh, when a big artillery gun rolled by in the background of the frame. Daddy sat straight up in his chair, then started to choke up. I asked him what was wrong and he pointed out the name of the gun painted on the side. The gun that went by was one of my Grandpa's.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:49 PM   #13
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

My Dad has a chest that I would love to open and check out. But if I did he would not trust me after that. It is one of the few things I can't open that he has.
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #14
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilyfox View Post
He sounds like an amazing man
He is. But I have seen the scary side of him. A few days ago. We were at a School to drop off some things. 5 or 6 students saw he had on a Red hat, just red. The biggest one started on him. I did not hear a lot but I saw Dad was getting pissed. I saw him walk up to the student and ask him to call a Cop and a EMT. The kids asked why. Dad took off his coat and said, he might get arrested but they will need a ER. They backed right down. He got in the truck and I asked him if he meant what he said. He looked at me said "Yes". He then said no one will mess with the family. I guess I missed something.
I'm so happy I found him.
Old March 11th, 2019, 04:27 PM   #15
Emilyfox
Banned

Name: Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allover Kelly View Post
He is. But I have seen the scary side of him. A few days ago. We were at a School to drop off some things. 5 or 6 students saw he had on a Red hat, just red. The biggest one started on him. I did not hear a lot but I saw Dad was getting pissed. I saw him walk up to the student and ask him to call a Cop and a EMT. The kids asked why. Dad took off his coat and said, he might get arrested but they will need a ER. They backed right down. He got in the truck and I asked him if he meant what he said. He looked at me said "Yes". He then said no one will mess with the family. I guess I missed something.
I'm so happy I found him.
Were they MAGA hat goons or something? Or just douchebags?
He means what he says and thats important, not just all talk
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:30 PM   #16
Allover Kelly
Nice Poster

I think they saw the red hat and thought MAGA, but once they started they might have thought they could have fun. WRONG