Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old February 18th, 2019, 04:23 PM   #1
Max the Disenchanter
Nice Poster

Max the Disenchanter's Forum Picture

Name: Max
Default Canadian Violations Of Human Rights

Here's a list of atrocities committed by the Canadian government and its people. Below is a selection.

Quote:

1. Eugenics

Eugenics, a branch of science concerned with the genetic improvement of the human race, was very popular during the 19th and 20th centuries. In Canada, this science was put into practice in an utterly horrifying way in the province of Alberta. In 1928, the Alberta government passed the Sexual Sterilization Act, which created a eugenics board to force those soon to be released from mental hospitals to be sterilized against their will as a condition of their release. An amendment to the act in 1937 permitted the sterilization of “mental defectives” without their consent.

Unbelievably, the program and the board lasted until 1972. During that time, they recommended sterilization in 99 percent of the 4,795 cases they oversaw, which were overwhelmingly women and Aboriginal people. It was only under Premier Peter Lougheed that the act was finally repealed and the board disbanded. David King, one of the politicians who introduced the bill to kill the act, said at its reading “I come finally to the last [reason] which, for me personally, is the most compelling. That is, simply, that the act violates fundamental human rights. We are provided with an act, the basis of which is a presumption that society, or at least the government, knows what kind of people can be allowed children and what kinds of people cannot . . . It is our view that this is a reprehensible and intolerable philosophy and program for this province and this government.”

Leilani Muir, one of the victims of the practice, sued the government of Alberta in 1995 and was awarded $1 million Canadian in damages. This led to a flood of lawsuits against the government over the next few years, which raised public awareness of the horrible program. Due to the sheer volume of lawsuits, the Alberta government tried to impose a limit on the amount that could be claimed by victims of the eugenics board of $150,000 Canadian. Public outcry killed this law within 24 hours, and eventually, the government settled for a lump sum of $80 million Canadian to be paid out to the victims.

2. Slavery

Like America, Canada was built in part by slave labor, centered mainly in New France, which is now known as the province of Quebec. Thousands of African and Aboriginal people were sold into bondage, either bought from traders overseas, traded between the French and the British, or even sold by Aboriginal people themselves, who had little other use for those captured in wars between various tribes.

Between 1671 and 1833, around 4,000 slaves were held captive in Canada, two-thirds of whom were First Nations people and the rest mainly African. Most of those held in captivity were very young, between the ages of 14 and 18 years old. All were forced to serve the political and social elite of the times, and although their treatment was much better than that endured by American slaves, they still enjoyed little freedom and endured the pain of being separated from their families and culture.

The main reason the slave trade in Canada did not balloon to the proportions seen in the United States was the principle differences in industry between the two nations at the time. Canada’s main source of income was the fur trade, an industry served primarily by hunters, and Canada’s farming industry was not focused on exportation, unlike the massive cotton industry in the US. Slaves were also very expensive during this period—even an unskilled slave cost as much as four times an average person’s annual income. That said, the abhorrent practice did exist in Canada and affected thousands, leaving an often unmentioned scar on the nation’s psyche.

3. Concentration Camps

In times of war, the paranoia of a ruling government can be almost boundless. During World War I, Canada’s leaders fell to this mentality and imprisoned thousands of “enemy aliens” in concentration camps dotting the country. Most of those who were rounded up were of Eastern European origin, mostly Ukrainians, though the Poles, Italians, Russians, Turks, Jews, Austrians, Romanians, and many others were subjected to the camps as well. Around 8,000 people suffered brutality and hardship under Canadian law.

Those who fell under the suspicious eye of the government at the time had all of their valuables confiscated and were sent to the most distant parts of the country to be held as prisoners and used for forced labor. They were even forced to build the very camps in which they were to be imprisoned. Afterward, they were used for labor—building railroads, clear-cutting forests, or mining—and afforded very little in the way of food or rest. Escape attempts, riots, and suicides plagued the camps due to conditions which were almost unendurable.

Despite this, many Ukrainians remained loyal to Canada during the war and even enlisted to fight overseas. Of course, they had to lie about their heritage to the government for the chance to fight, going so far as to enlist under false names, although any who were discovered fighting under false identities were expelled from the army and sent to the camps. Even after the war ended, hundreds more prisoners remained in the camps due to the political atmosphere that gripped the nation as a result of one of history’s most brutal conflicts. To this day, the Canadian government has made little effort to recognize or atone for the unfair practice it instituted during and after the war.

4. Genocide

Canada’s first prime minister, John A. MacDonald, is a historical figure akin to the founding fathers of the United States. He has had many monuments erected in his honor and even adorns the Canadian $10 bill. However, many don’t know that he instigated a campaign of forced starvation against the Aboriginal peoples of Canada during his term as the head of the newly founded nation. Under his tenure, he oversaw a government policy to withhold food from Aboriginal peoples until they moved to dictated reservations. Even after they complied, their food supply was stored in ration houses and still denied to them, left to rot as the people starved.

The man himself was known as a virulent racist and alcoholic, yet his views on Aboriginals were as complicated as the politics of the times. Paradoxically, he also enacted legislation to extend the vote to First Nations people under his reign as the country’s leader. To many Canadians, he is a hero and a shining example of good governance. To the many Aboriginals who have inherited the tales of misery he was responsible for from their elders, he is simply a monster. Recently, pressure from many First Nations leaders within Canada has caught the eye of the United Nations, who have sent an envoy to examine the historical treatment of their people in Canada.
Old February 18th, 2019, 07:36 PM   #2
Ethan19
Member+

Name: Ethan
Default Re: Canadian Violations Of Human Rights

I'd actually like to discuss this, before it gets banned for stupidity or something.

I don't think research into eugenics is an atrocity. Their reasoning may have been, so was the scientists that Hitler hired. However, it's lead to fenonomenal developments in modern genetics that have saved millions.

In a way, hasn't MEDCs enslaved LEDCs for product for decades? Again i think it's a context based thing.
Old February 20th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #3
NoLimitGuy
Member+

I can't see any crimes here, actually.. Maybe concentration camps and slavery only...
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Dav1d

Dav1d's Forum Picture

Name: David

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitGuy View Post
I can't see any crimes here, actually.. Maybe concentration camps and slavery only...
But not genocide? lol
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:16 PM   #5
TristanM
Member+

TristanM's Forum Picture

Name: Tristan

Eugenics is bad. It led to a world war and created Khan Noonien Singh. It was on Star Trek and Star Trek is on the internet now so it must be true.
Old February 21st, 2019, 12:04 PM   #6
NoLimitGuy
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1d View Post
But not genocide? lol
Someone usually dies. Too many humans anyway...
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:59 PM   #7
EvaNL
Nice Poster

Name: Goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Disenchanter View Post
Here's a list of atrocities committed by the Canadian government and its people. Below is a selection.
I'm wondering what the purpose of this thread is.

Gone because of excessive trolling
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Zika
Awesome Poster

Perhaps to see if people can be objective about their country, like the "US is the dumbest country in the world" type threads.
Old February 21st, 2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Zika
Awesome Poster

Many of the actions listed in the link were common in many countries of the day. That doesn't make it right, but, like those who identify wrong past actions in the US, as though the US was the only country doing it, it's a bit disingenuous, although not much different than the 'better than thou' attitude of many Canadians and other nationals toward the US.

Under the heading of not learning from history, the recent Danish law requiring special 'education' of people living in the Muslim 'slums,' as they call it, is frighteningly similar to #6 in that list, "residential schools." Of course there is a legitimate goal to educating foreigners and getting them to assimilate to a workable degree, but that law reeks of racism and xenophobia.

While this may not be a human rights violation, it's an interesting result of the publicly funded health care system, of which Canadian seem to be very proud. They won't grant resident's visas to people with Down's Syndrome (and of course that means their families can't move there either) and a whole list of other conditions because they don't want to be responsible for the cost of their healthcare. The whole picture is rarely as rosy as the parts people choose to focus on. That's not to say I wouldn't like universal healthcare in the US, just that there's a downside to it as well.

Last edited by Zika; February 21st, 2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:13 PM   #10
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaNL View Post
I'm wondering what the purpose of this thread is.
Someone didn't like my criticism of the Israeli government and tried to fire back with false equivalences

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:37 PM   #11
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
While this may not be a human rights violation, it's an interesting result of the publicly funded health care system, of which Canadian seem to be very proud. They won't grant resident's visas to people with Down's Syndrome (and of course that means their families can't move there either) and a whole list of other conditions because they don't want to be responsible for the cost of their healthcare. The whole picture is rarely as rosy as the parts people choose to focus on. That's not to say I wouldn't like universal healthcare in the US, just that there's a downside to it as well.
Well we do have the best and easiest system in the world.

The federal government sent the RCMP beat up indigenous people who were peacefully protesting in BC so they can build a useless pipeline on their land. The provincial conservative parties of Ontario and New Brunswick are openly discriminating and hating on french people, but you choose to go with people suffering from Down's Syndrome can't immigrate to Canada.

Quote:
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:38 PM   #12
EvaNL
Nice Poster

Name: Goodbye

Oh ok, pathetic childish flame wars.
Good luck with that.

Gone because of excessive trolling
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:48 PM   #13
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaNL View Post
Oh ok, pathetic childish flame wars.
Good luck with that.
So far the only pathetic and childish response has been yours. The rest of us are engaging in a respectable discussion.
btw, why did you change your sig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Well we do have the best and easiest system in the world.

The federal government sent the RCMP beat up indigenous people who were peacefully protesting in BC so they can build a useless pipeline on their land. The provincial conservative parties of Ontario and New Brunswick are openly discriminating and hating on french people, but you choose to go with people suffering from Down's Syndrome can't immigrate to Canada.
And your point?
Yes, Canada commits a lot of human rights violations, too. I don't disagree with you.
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:54 PM   #14
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
And your point?
Yes, Canada commits a lot of human rights violations, too. I don't disagree with you.
My point being you picked the wrong example.

Quote:
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:57 PM   #15
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Someone didn't like my criticism of the Israeli government and tried to fire back with false equivalences
I don't see where the OP mentioned your comments about Israel in this thread. He has raised a valid issue, which may or may not have come to mind because of your comments in the other thread, but he's made no false equivalences what so ever. You've fabricated that.

Just like reading the link he posted made me think of the Danish law I recently read about and I may make a thread trying to get people to discuss it. It doesn't mean I'm saying they're equivalent.
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:04 PM   #16
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
I don't see where the OP mentioned your comments about Israel in this thread. He has raised a valid issue, which may or may not have come to mind because of your comments in the other thread, but he's made no false equivalences what so ever. You've fabricated that.

Just like reading the link he posted made me think of the Danish law I recently read about and I may make a thread trying to get people to discuss it. It doesn't mean I'm saying they're equivalent.
It was in one of all those post that were deleted earlier

Quote:
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:14 PM   #17
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
It was in one of all those post that were deleted earlier
Ah, I wasn't aware any posts were deleted. Apparently I stand corrected.
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:26 PM   #18
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
My point being you picked the wrong example.
And why is that a "wrong" example? I said it wasn't an example of a human rights violation. In any case, it was a valid point.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:45 AM   #19
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Quote:
And why is that a "wrong" example? I said it wasn't an example of a human rights violation. In any case, it was a valid point.
Its a wrong example if you want to criticise the country they are better options.

Quote:
Old February 22nd, 2019, 08:11 AM   #20
Jinglebottom
VT Lover

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

This thread was obviously not made for any constructive discussion.

*Mars was here*
Closed Thread