Lionsden04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 06:15 AM   #103
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Coronavirus news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionsden04 View Post
Just seen a tiger in new York is showing symptoms
Did it jump species again via a mutation?
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2020, 11:03 AM   #104
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

poor cat

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:18 AM   #105
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

https://www.dailywire.com/news/lockd...ultiple-states
Numerous states are starting to experience protests against the continued lockdown. Here in North Carolina has one of the strongest movements, arguably because we have an unpopular Democratic governor in a pretty conservative state. I'm not saying that the protesters are right or wrong, but here's their main arguments:

1. Hospitals across NC are not anywhere near capacity; in fact many hospitals and medical offices are having to furlough staff since most elective medical procedures have been prohibited (NC has a large medical presence).

2. Despite being the 9th most populous state with numerous metro-areas, the state has one of the the lowest number of cases per population, and very few deaths (we just crossed 100 over the weekend).

3. Businesses have been suffering from a lock down since mid-March, and while it is set to expire the end of this month, the governor has been hinting at wanting to extend it further, or even increase the lockdown restrictions. Just today a new executive order went into affect mandating that all essential business limit their capacity to 20% of their max.

4. People fear our actively anti-Trump governor will/is using their pandemic to further political means, by hurting the economy to the point where it could be a factor in the 2020 election (NC is a swing state that went narrowly to Trump in 2016). As well as fears that the governor will use this as an excuse to take power away from local governments.

I've heard of significant movements across multiple states against the quarantine. Michigan, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Ohio are all having or planning to have protests to reopen the economy. I imagine this will spread to many more states as this goes on.
PlasmaHam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 11:45 AM   #106
Jrunner
Nice Poster

Name: James

It was only a matter of time before the "lockdown" just became unworkable, we can't just hide under our beds and expect the govt to print money to keep people from starving until a vaccine is developed.
Jrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 03:34 PM   #107
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/lockd...ultiple-states
Numerous states are starting to experience protests against the continued lockdown. Here in North Carolina has one of the strongest movements, arguably because we have an unpopular Democratic governor in a pretty conservative state. I'm not saying that the protesters are right or wrong, but here's their main arguments:

1. Hospitals across NC are not anywhere near capacity; in fact many hospitals and medical offices are having to furlough staff since most elective medical procedures have been prohibited (NC has a large medical presence).

2. Despite being the 9th most populous state with numerous metro-areas, the state has one of the the lowest number of cases per population, and very few deaths (we just crossed 100 over the weekend).
The first two reasons are bizarre and beg the question of these peoples' reasoning ability. The purpose if the quarantine is to avoid doctors' offices being filled with people.

If that state has such a low rate of covid, they're doing something right. To drop it now until it gets out of hand is just ridiculous.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 07:26 PM   #108
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
The first two reasons are bizarre and beg the question of these peoples' reasoning ability. The purpose if the quarantine is to avoid doctors' offices being filled with people.

If that state has such a low rate of covid, they're doing something right. To drop it now until it gets out of hand is just ridiculous.
Not really. The purpose of the quarantine is to "flatten the curve", which means to prevent hospital over crowding. We are experiencing the exact opposite problem. As I said hospitals are so empty they are having to furlough staff. Because of mandates that they are to not do any elective procedures (aka nothing that isn't an immediate health risk, which can include brain surgeries) a lot of staff has nothing to do, and thus laid off. To note, North Carolina has numerous renown hospitals and medical research/development is a significant part of the economy.

For example, my father works in IT for a big national medical research and testing organization. You would think that they would be raking in the dough because of all the demand for Coronavirus tests. But in reality, no. Because they are required to put off almost all their non-Coronavirus related work, they are actually doing far less tests and are making far less profit than they were. As a result a significant number of staff are being furloughed, and almost everyone else is experiencing a pay cut. I know it goes against what you would think, but the medical field is suffering just as much as the rest of the economy.

As for the second reason, people are largely protesting due to the governor wanting to increase restrictions. As I mentioned just today a new executive order went out further restricting movement. You could argue that the current restrictions should be kept in place, but its hard to see a reason for increasing restrictions.And to be entirely frank, we do have to admit that reopening the economy needs to be a priority, and unfortunately we can't wait until the virus is eradicated. Appropriate precautions are fine, but indefinite quarantine is going to do more harm than good.

UPDATE: About the protests in North Carolina, police recently broke up a protest outside the NC General Assembly building, arresting one person, with this as their justification: "Protesting is a non-essential activity"

Last edited by PlasmaHam; April 14th, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Old April 14th, 2020, 08:39 PM   #109
Zika
Awesome Poster

@PlasmaHam : the problem is, at this point, they don't know what constitutes "having this contained;" there are no guidelines. They still aren't sure how long it remains alive on various surfaces and exactly how it's being transmitted.

"Flattening the curve" is not really about preventing hospital overcrowding. It's more complicated than that and I'm too tired to explain it cogently, but it's about reducing the rate of increase in cases to the point that it's under control.

The question is, how few new cases per day/week would be safe to loosen some of the restrictions?

The public health experts have no reason to keep this going longer than necessary; it doesn't benefit them, so it's probably more reasonable to consider their opinion, than the opinion of economists and business people.

Reopening the economy is important, but should not compromise control of this pandemic.

I may not have understood, but it sounds like the regular work your Dad's company does is not considered "essential," so those workers not necessary for Covid testing are being furloughed, as are people in all kinds of businesses which are not considered essential.

There's no doubt, this is hurting the medical field financially tremendously. Several hospital groups have held back part of doctors' wages. Most non-essential doctors visits have been cancelled. It's absolutely adversely affecting the medical community financially.

As for additional restrictions, I don't know the situation in your area; you may be right that it's not necessary.

The police were absolutely right in breaking up a group of greater than 10 people (or how ever many it is in your state), regardless of their self-righteous motivation. An uncle (second, or somewhat removed, whatever they call that) died last week and only five people were allowed at the funeral, despite him having a large family and many friends and associates.
If just One of those people protesting outside the state capital building has covid, they could have infected any number of people. It was totally irresposible.
Old April 16th, 2020, 04:57 PM   #110
Uniquemind
VT Lover

You can still protest online.

It sucks but there is a reasonable and logical explanation why that right can’t be exercised in a certain way. The dogmatic view of the bill of rights is showing internal contradictions.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020, 07:33 PM   #111
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
@PlasmaHam : the problem is, at this point, they don't know what constitutes "having this contained;" there are no guidelines. They still aren't sure how long it remains alive on various surfaces and exactly how it's being transmitted.

"Flattening the curve" is not really about preventing hospital overcrowding. It's more complicated than that and I'm too tired to explain it cogently, but it's about reducing the rate of increase in cases to the point that it's under control.
No offense, but it sounds like you are just restating what I said. Flattening the curve is to keep the cases under control, just like you said. What constitutes "under control"? In my definition keeping it under control is keeping it at a level at which hospitals and other treatment facilities are able to handle the amount of patients in would produce. You see my point? Its not that important, just pointing out that despite what you hear about New York and California hospitals being overcrowded, that's far from the case most elsewhere.
Quote:
The police were absolutely right in breaking up a group of greater than 10 people (or how ever many it is in your state), regardless of their self-righteous motivation. An uncle (second, or somewhat removed, whatever they call that) died last week and only five people were allowed at the funeral, despite him having a large family and many friends and associates.
If just One of those people protesting outside the state capital building has covid, they could have infected any number of people. It was totally irresposible.
I have mixed feelings on the whole protest. It could have been handled better, I've heard of protests elsewhere which both made their message clear and were very clearly abiding by social distancing guidelines. The part that surprised me was the police department's wording with handling it. They could have said that the protesters weren't abiding by social distancing guidelines or that they were causing a public health risk, but nope they had to claim it was because a constitutional right is now not allowed. Whoever wrote that post is probably not on social media duty anymore.

Unrelated(in some ways), here's a new article I stumbled across today:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/healt...XN4mQAO4M0YR3M

I am by no means a medical professional (I absolutely hated biology in high-school) but this increasing talk that we'll have to stay at some levels of quarantine until a vaccine arrives just seems ridiculous. Any vaccine is going to take atleast a year to get approved, and then having to produce and distribute it on an international level will add on more months. We can't wait until the coronavirus is as eradicated. I'm sure I sound like an awful person when I say this, but I'm going to: "If it could prevent just one death", is an awful policy position, and we shouldn't be basing our coronavirus response on it.
Old April 17th, 2020, 05:38 PM   #112
Diable rouge
Awesome Poster

Diable rouge's Forum Picture

Name: Pseudo

Lift the quarantine with people still infected and you will get a second wave.

To each his own. This is not my style to pile up dead bodies.
Diable rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2020, 07:38 PM   #113
Zika
Awesome Poster

@PlasmaHam: Maybe we are saying the same thing, but it doesn't sound like it to me. Yes, it's important to keep the number of patients below the healthcare system's capacity, but 'flattening the curve' is about more than that.

The more people who get the virus, the faster it spreads. It's not just about being able to treat those who get it, it's about reducing transmission of it. It's the rate of transmission which can get out of control.
This is where the issue of hospital capacity isn't directly related. Many people who have it don't require hospitalization or are even aware they have it, but they can be prolific it spreading it.

As for reducing restrictions because there is some reduction in its spread, it reminds me of a meme I saw (but don't know how to copy here):

This is an appropriate analogy:

"The curve is flattening; we can being lifting restrictions now" = "the parachute has slowed our rate of decent; we can take it off now."

I realize the analogy isn't perfect. Reducing restrictions is not the same as removing them, but until it's under control, reducing restrictions will increase the rate of transmission, negating any positive effect it had.