Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:35 AM   #1
Kari
Banned

Name: Karina
Default Insomnia

So this isnt something I share with many people, but its worrying me alot lately. I suffer from a bad case of insomina and have a major problem falling asleep at my bed time. I usually end up on my phone or switch when I give up trying to sleep. I end up passing out waking up close to afternoon. It has affected much besides usually missing breakfast or missing time with friends. I know this doesnt seem like a huge issue but it really worrying me. Im just looking for advice or techniques to help fall asleep. Any advice would be helpful. Again thank you for listening
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 04:47 AM   #2
Lionsden04
Awesome Poster

Lionsden04's Forum Picture

Name: Chris
Default Re: Insomnia

Been on the phone doesnt really help, I have struggled before and the more you try to sleep the worse it gets, the best thing to do is just try to relax with no phone or switch, reading a book could help
Lionsden04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 12:06 PM   #3
RCT109
Banned

RCT109's Forum Picture

Name: S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari View Post
So this isnt something I share with many people, but its worrying me alot lately. I suffer from a bad case of insomina and have a major problem falling asleep at my bed time. I usually end up on my phone or switch when I give up trying to sleep. I end up passing out waking up close to afternoon. It has affected much besides usually missing breakfast or missing time with friends. I know this doesnt seem like a huge issue but it really worrying me. Im just looking for advice or techniques to help fall asleep. Any advice would be helpful. Again thank you for listening

if it gets really bad
maybe try going to bed earlier or even going to walmart and getting something called Melatonin its a pill near the vitamin C's that will help you go to sleep
RCT109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2019, 10:13 PM   #4
Shaythen
Awesome Poster

Shaythen's Forum Picture

Name: Shaythen

I’ve had insomnia since I was 13, I’ve been on different medications and melatonin over the years, all of them just made me feel like a zombie the next day. During the summer it’s not a big deal, but during school, I just shut off all electronics, lights, everything and make my room dark and quiet and eventually I fall asleep. I can’t promise it’ll work for you but you can try it.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move..........Dont Panic!
Shaythen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2019, 02:30 PM   #5
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Take sleeping pills for a few days and go to bed at the same time every of these days

I explain :
When I broke my ankle, it was really painful and I had issues to sleep. I often woke up and had issues go back to sleep. In the end i fell asleep at like 6 am
When I was about to resume school, I took sleeping pills for a few days, for 3-4 days always at 9:30 and I was sleeping at about 10
In just a few days i had the school sleeping rhythm back

However dont use them for more than a few days, ylu shouldn't get addict
Oskarr-Padawan-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 08:35 AM   #6
Wallky
Banned

Meditation before bedtime helps me a lot if I feel that my insomnia starts.
Wallky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 10:29 AM   #7
pauly
Nice Poster

pauly's Forum Picture

Name: paul

All the advice above is excellent.

But I think you should go to a doctor if the insomnia goes on for a long time.
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2019, 08:49 PM   #8
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Best advice @pauly above. Go to
a doctor and tell him of ur sleeping
problem. It could b something physical
or u just cant relax.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2019, 12:27 PM   #9
LiberalTurboprop
Nice Poster

LiberalTurboprop's Forum Picture

Name: Connor

If I need to fall asleep, I tend to turn off all the lights and get comfortable. Screens are no good for sleeping. But sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, it's because my mind just kinda keeps working and I can't relax. So I like to do things to keep it kinda occupied but relaxed to slowly ease me off to sleep. Like I like to imagine myself in comfortable scenarios like curled up in front of a fire or tuckled in while it's cold outside. Or I try to list things in a category. Or I picture a map and name the countries. Or I like to put a slow audiobook on and listen to that until I nod off.
LiberalTurboprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 02:57 PM   #10
Adamant
Awesome Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

I don't have this problem but know loads of peopel say tghat blue light from a phone is the worst you can do so no electronic stuff for 30 minutes before you sleep.
Maybe read, maybe get up and move around for a fewe minutes and then back to bed to kid yourself you have just gone to bed and try again without worrying about not having been to sleep yet.
Bit embarrassed to say it as its a different section of vT....but i know what lots of boys do to relax themselves at bedtime.
I am honestly not trying to turn this thread into something different.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 05:06 PM   #11
mercenary

Name: Gabriel

Hmm, I'm sorry to hear that but I can help you. I had this problem some time ago and these methods worked for me:
  1. Lower the Room Temperature
    Nutrition
    20 Simple Tips That Help You Fall Asleep Quickly
    If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. How this works.

Good sleep is incredibly important.

It helps you feel good and makes your body and brain function properly.

Some people have no problem falling asleep. However, many others have severe difficulty falling and staying asleep through the night.

Poor sleep can have negative effects on many parts of your body and brain, including learning, memory, mood, emotions and various biological functions (1Trusted Source).

Here are 20 simple ways to fall asleep as fast as possible.

Your body temperature changes as you fall asleep. Core temperature decreases, while the temperature of your hands and feet increases (2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source).

If your room is too warm, you might have a hard time falling asleep. Setting your thermostat to a cool temperature between 6075F (1523C) could help (4Trusted Source).

Individual preferences will vary, so find the temperature that works best for you.

Taking a warm bath or shower could also help speed up the body's temperature changes. As your body cools down afterwards, this can help send a signal to your brain to go to sleep (5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source).
  2. Use the "4-7-8" Breathing Method
    Nutrition
    If you buy something through a link on this page, we may earn a small commission. How this works.

Some people have no problem falling asleep. However, many others have severe difficulty falling and staying asleep through the night.

Poor sleep can have negative effects on many parts of your body and brain, including learning, memory, mood, emotions and various biological functions (1Trusted Source).

Your body temperature changes as you fall asleep. Core temperature decreases, while the temperature of your hands and feet increases (2Trusted Source, 3Trusted Source).

If your room is too warm, you might have a hard time falling asleep. Setting your thermostat to a cool temperature between 6075F (1523C) could help (4Trusted Source).

Individual preferences will vary, so find the temperature that works best for you.

Taking a warm bath or shower could also help speed up the body's temperature changes. As your body cools down afterwards, this can help send a signal to your brain to go to sleep (5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source).

The 4-7-8 method is a simple but powerful breathing method that promotes calmness and relaxation. It might also help you unwind before bed.

It consists of a breathing pattern that relaxes the nervous system. It can be practiced anytime you feel anxious or stressed.

Here are the steps:

First, place the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth.
    Exhale completely through your mouth and make a whoosh sound.
    Close your mouth and inhale through your nose while mentally counting to four.
    Hold your breath and mentally count to seven.
    Open your mouth and exhale completely, making a whoosh sound and mentally counting to eight.
    Repeat this cycle at least three more times.

This technique can relax you and help you fall asleep quickly.
  3. Get on a Schedule
    Many people find that setting a sleep schedule helps them fall asleep easier.

Your body has its own regulatory system called the circadian rhythm. This internal clock cues your body to feel alert during the day but sleepy at night (7Trusted Source).

Waking up and going to bed at the same times each day can help your internal clock keep a regular schedule. Once your body adjusts to this schedule, it will be easier to fall asleep and wake up around the same time every day (8Trusted Source).

It is also important to get seven to nine hours of sleep each night. This has been shown to be the optimal sleep duration for adults (7Trusted Source).

Lastly, give yourself 30 minutes to an hour to wind down in the evening before getting in bed. This allows your body and mind to relax and prepare for sleep (9Trusted Source).
  4. Experience Both Daylight and Darkness
    Nutrition

The 4-7-8 method is a simple but powerful breathing method that promotes calmness and relaxation. It might also help you unwind before bed.

It consists of a breathing pattern that relaxes the nervous system. It can be practiced anytime you feel anxious or stressed.

Here are the steps:

First, place the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth.
    Exhale completely through your mouth and make a whoosh sound.
    Close your mouth and inhale through your nose while mentally counting to four.
    Hold your breath and mentally count to seven.
    Open your mouth and exhale completely, making a whoosh sound and mentally counting to eight.
    Repeat this cycle at least three more times.

This technique can relax you and help you fall asleep quickly.
    3. Get on a Schedule

Many people find that setting a sleep schedule helps them fall asleep easier.

Your body has its own regulatory system called the circadian rhythm. This internal clock cues your body to feel alert during the day but sleepy at night (7Trusted Source).

Waking up and going to bed at the same times each day can help your internal clock keep a regular schedule. Once your body adjusts to this schedule, it will be easier to fall asleep and wake up around the same time every day (8Trusted Source).

It is also important to get seven to nine hours of sleep each night. This has been shown to be the optimal sleep duration for adults (7Trusted Source).

Lastly, give yourself 30 minutes to an hour to wind down in the evening before getting in bed. This allows your body and mind to relax and prepare for sleep (9Trusted Source).
    4. Experience Both Daylight and Darkness

Light can influence your bodys internal clock, which regulates sleep and wakefulness.

Irregular light exposure can lead to disruption of circadian rhythms, making it harder to fall asleep and stay awake (10Trusted Source).

During the day, exposing your body to bright light tells it to stay alert (11Trusted Source, 12Trusted Source).

At night, darkness promotes feelings of sleepiness. In fact, research shows that darkness boosts the production of melatonin, an essential hormone for sleep (13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source).

Get out and expose your body to sunlight or artificial bright light throughout the day. If possible, use blackout curtains to make your room dark at night.

Shop for blackout curtains online.
  5. Avoid Naps During the Day
  6. Listen to Relaxing Music
  7. Exercise During The Day
  8. Get Comfortable
  9. Turn Off All Electronics
  10. Limit Caffeine and Drink a Soothing Beverage
  11. Adjust Your Sleep Position
  12. Read Something
  13. Focus on Trying to Stay Awake
  14. Try Sleep-Enhancing Supplements

I'm not going to copy-paste anything, just jump on this site and you will get better soon.

Sorry for giving a hyperlink to the site but I wanna help this teenager.

Good night!

16 - male - bisexual
Happy to chat with everyone, just pm me!
mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2020, 07:55 PM   #12
AustinAw3some

AustinAw3some's Forum Picture

Name: Austin

Quote:
Definitely try to cut out screen time, or at the very least get a blue light filter for them because that's what makes it difficult to fall asleep.
AustinAw3some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2020, 02:05 AM   #13
Emilyfox
Banned

Name: Emily

Have you tried getting in a bedtime routine and doing something reading a book you’ve already read and like?
That way it’s chilling your brain out and not leaving you in suspense of what’s next
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 03:17 PM   #14
Damon06
Junior Member+

Damon06's Forum Picture

Name: Damon

You should probably just put away the devices at bedtime.
Damon06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2020, 02:00 AM   #15
Surfergirl
Banned

Name: L

Routine, no caffeine after lunch, orgasm, hot shower, heavy blanket and cool air in the room
Devices off before bed
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 12:00 AM   #16
Ala5ka
Banned

Name: Alaska

I don’t know about insomnia but it takes me a long time to get to sleep and then I wake up early
4-5 hours tops most nights
Any advice?
Ala5ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2020, 10:14 PM   #17
scotthouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCT109
if it gets really bad
maybe try going to bed earlier or even going to walmart and getting something called Melatonin its a pill near the vitamin C's that will help you go to sleep
I have tried Melatonin and it doesn do jack!!!!!

I still cant get to sleep......... I have been under alot of stress and havent been able to sleep well in months,its very aggravating and scary...... I usually like the OP finally fall asleep around 5am and wake up around 11.... (And not really a good sleep either)

I cant believe all the sleeping pills I have tried this last week AND NONE OF THEM WORK!!
scotthouse is offline   Reply With Quote