Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 14th, 2020, 03:58 PM   #1
thewilddog

thewilddog's Forum Picture

Name: Mrs.Birthday Dog
Default Raspberry Pi

Hi there all,
I am getting a raspberry pi 3B+as the 4 wasn't in my budget. I was wondering if any of you knew of any simple projects you could do at home without extra materials...? I already have a case, mouse and keyboard as well as monitor.
Thanks all soo much!!

The Wild Dog
Tech Breakout Forum: here
I love to code PM me, I love to chat
thewilddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Jarbuckle

Default Re: Raspberry Pi

I would suggest you take a look at instructables site they have some really awesome tutorials.
HTML Code:
https://www.instructables.com/circuits/raspberry-pi/projects/
Jarbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2020, 01:32 AM   #3
KatieCO2003
Awesome Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

They can be used to run DMX networks for lighting and animatronics. I was looking into this a year ago. I'm still on the fence between a PI and an Arduino. The PI has more capabilities in the long run and seems better for lighting and sound, but it's harder to set up hardware interfaces for sensors and servos.

What kind of projects interest you? Are you more of a maker or a coder?
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 05:30 PM   #4
bonbon
Member++

bonbon's Forum Picture

I used one as a temperature monitor and fan controller for my desktop computer case. It also displays the infos on a small lcd panel.
The rpi can also make a nice tiny web server. Or you can use it as a NAS/Mediacenter. But it is most useful when using its i/o pins.
Maybe you could just use it as a workbench to learn electronic basics? It can help a great deal to measure and test many simple components and circuits. Maybe go visiting sites like Hackaday to give you project ideas!

Katie: Rpi or Arduino? ESP8266 of course cheaper than Arduinos, more powerful, wifi by default, same development environment. Only drawback: 3.3v I/O instead of Arduino's 5V.
bonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2020, 06:28 PM   #5
KatieCO2003
Awesome Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon View Post
I used one as a temperature monitor and fan controller for my desktop computer case. It also displays the infos on a small lcd panel.
The rpi can also make a nice tiny web server. Or you can use it as a NAS/Mediacenter. But it is most useful when using its i/o pins.
Maybe you could just use it as a workbench to learn electronic basics? It can help a great deal to measure and test many simple components and circuits. Maybe go visiting sites like Hackaday to give you project ideas!

Katie: Rpi or Arduino? ESP8266 of course cheaper than Arduinos, more powerful, wifi by default, same development environment. Only drawback: 3.3v I/O instead of Arduino's 5V.
I haven't gotten that far into it yet. About a year ago, it was on my mind so I watched a ton of videos and read a bunch of websites about the advantages of each. Seems like Rpi's interface was initially harder to learn and to work with, but offered more potential including running some PLC software that I may need. Unfortunately, my project is kinda stalled. There's been a lot of instability in the beef industry since COVID. And between ranch work and being sick all the time, I haven't really had the time or the energy to work on it.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2020, 04:19 PM   #6
thewilddog

thewilddog's Forum Picture

Name: Mrs.Birthday Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCO2003 View Post
They can be used to run DMX networks for lighting and animatronics. I was looking into this a year ago. I'm still on the fence between a PI and an Arduino. The PI has more capabilities in the long run and seems better for lighting and sound, but it's harder to set up hardware interfaces for sensors and servos.

What kind of projects interest you? Are you more of a maker or a coder?
Probs more of a closer, but I would be interested in making!
Thanks to everyone for your very helpful answers

The Wild Dog
Tech Breakout Forum: here
I love to code PM me, I love to chat
thewilddog is offline   Reply With Quote