Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2020, 11:07 AM   #1
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator
 
Sailor Mars's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 26, 2015
Location: State of constant stress and anxiety
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Default Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today issued an Executive Order recognizing Juneteenth as a holiday for state employees, in recognition of the official emancipation of African Americans throughout the United States. The Governor will also advance legislation to make Juneteenth an official state holiday next year.
Read more: https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...tate-employees

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...tate-employees

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 08:54 PM   #2
ShineintheDark
Banned
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

I honestly don't know why it wasn't a public holiday beforehand and, though I do think his use of executive power was questionable in this case, if the state legislature vote against it when the bill comes to their floor, it would look awful if the proposal was rejected, especially since the date celebrates such an enormous constitutional and historical event in the nation's history.
Likes: (1)
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 09:24 PM   #3
Zika
Frozen
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

I'm all for another day off school or work, though it would be outside the school year....unfortunately.

But, I have no respect for politician who stick their finger in the air and move with the wind direction.

This juneteenth thing has been around for several years, but hasn't built up any steam.
Now that there's all this violence and vandalism in the name of Blacks, mayors and governors across the country can't hop on board fast enough.

It's like Klobucher withdrawing from consideration for VP, so that a Black woman can have that position. Why didn't she feel this way a month ago? Because the wind wasn't blowing in that direction.

Pandering politicians.
Likes: (1)
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 10:53 PM   #4
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: July 7, 2016
Location: Bananna Republic of Trumpistan
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

I have literally never heard of Juneteenth before today. From what I've gathered it's a day in which memorises the end of slavery in America. A good thing, and I'll put it with other memoric holidays like D-Day, 9/11, and Passover. But Juneteeth has never expanded much beyond small local celebrations, and honestly seems greatly overshadowed by MLK Day and Black History Month. I could list many more days which receive more public attention than Juneteeth. Being both a redundant holiday (obviously it's important but MLK Day basically celebrates the same things) and being of such low participation I don't see a point to recognize it, besides political brownie points.

I know via my Jewish family members in NY that Jewish holidays like Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur are big deals up there. I bet more people attend those celebrations than Juneteeth ones. Yet there is not a single public holiday for Jews. And you know what really surprised me? St Patrick's Day is not a public holiday. Even the non-Irish heartily celebrate it and there are huge events yet it's not a public holiday. But I think we all know the difference. The Jews and the Irish don't have a particularly strong tendency to riot and destroy cities. Now if the Jews start walking around the cities then we might have cause for concern, but that's not an immediate problem.
Likes: (2)
PlasmaHam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 12:30 AM   #5
HeyCameron
Awesome Poster
 
HeyCameron's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cameron
Join Date: August 15, 2016
Location: Orange County, CA
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

I do think a lot of the call to recognize Juneteenth is due to virtue signaling and political opportunism, but that doesn't mean I think the recognition is a bad thing. It's just sad that it takes massive unrest for this recognition to happen. It would be nice if politicians made moves that were not pandering and virtue signaling, but that's the language we speak with them.

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel".
Likes: (1)
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 01:35 AM   #6
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator
 
Sailor Mars's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 26, 2015
Location: State of constant stress and anxiety
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

@Previous posts regarding not knowing about it/not being big: Juneteenth is a recognized holiday in 47 of the states, either as an observance or state wide holiday, but it isn’t a national holiday. Many of these states recognized this day before 2002, or between 2000 and 2009. That being said, I do agree with the fact that politicians pander to current situations. But then again, I don’t see why that’s totally a bad thing? People are supposed to change based off of new information, new things happening, and adapt (at least the way I see it). I don’t think someone should bend over or be biased or anything, but it happens all the time, be it politicians or corporations or whoever.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 06:59 AM   #7
Snowfox
Nice Poster
 
Name: Pyry
Join Date: May 23, 2017
Location: Finland
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I'm all for another day off school or work, though it would be outside the school year....unfortunately.

But, I have no respect for politician who stick their finger in the air and move with the wind direction.

This juneteenth thing has been around for several years, but hasn't built up any steam.
Now that there's all this violence and vandalism in the name of Blacks, mayors and governors across the country can't hop on board fast enough.

It's like Klobucher withdrawing from consideration for VP, so that a Black woman can have that position. Why didn't she feel this way a month ago? Because the wind wasn't blowing in that direction.

Pandering politicians.
I bet whole idea is to create annual violence and looting and rioting day in name of blacks. Since rioting and looting and burning property is only point in all of this.

Who is John Galt
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:04 AM   #8
Snowfox
Nice Poster
 
Name: Pyry
Join Date: May 23, 2017
Location: Finland
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I have literally never heard of Juneteenth before today. From what I've gathered it's a day in which memorises the end of slavery in America. A good thing, and I'll put it with other memoric holidays like D-Day, 9/11, and Passover. But Juneteeth has never expanded much beyond small local celebrations, and honestly seems greatly overshadowed by MLK Day and Black History Month. I could list many more days which receive more public attention than Juneteeth. Being both a redundant holiday (obviously it's important but MLK Day basically celebrates the same things) and being of such low participation I don't see a point to recognize it, besides political brownie points.

I know via my Jewish family members in NY that Jewish holidays like Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur are big deals up there. I bet more people attend those celebrations than Juneteeth ones. Yet there is not a single public holiday for Jews. And you know what really surprised me? St Patrick's Day is not a public holiday. Even the non-Irish heartily celebrate it and there are huge events yet it's not a public holiday. But I think we all know the difference. The Jews and the Irish don't have a particularly strong tendency to riot and destroy cities. Now if the Jews start walking around the cities then we might have cause for concern, but that's not an immediate problem.
Irish people and jewish people have wrong skincolor.
Also anti jewish sentiment is strong with "Liberal" circles.
You see its goes like this.
Black person is better person= Many blacks are muslim so muslim are better people= Jews are inferior cause of Israel and what ever happens there= Hate Jews and everyone who happens to have white skin.

Who is John Galt
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 05:37 PM   #9
Zika
Frozen
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I have literally never heard of Juneteenth before today. From what I've gathered it's a day in which memorises the end of slavery in America. A good thing, and I'll put it with other memoric holidays like D-Day, 9/11, and Passover. But Juneteeth has never expanded much beyond small local celebrations, and honestly seems greatly overshadowed by MLK Day and Black History Month. I could list many more days which receive more public attention than Juneteeth. Being both a redundant holiday (obviously it's important but MLK Day basically celebrates the same things) and being of such low participation I don't see a point to recognize it, besides political brownie points.

I don't agree that juneteenth celebrate the same thing as MLK Day. Juneteenth celebrates the end of slavery. MLK Day celebrates a man who advocated for peaceful means to change. It might make sense do have juneteenth (renamed of course) be celebrated in February, Black History Month, where it would have more context.
Boy, could we use MLK's means of promoting change today. In fact, what's going on today is a slap in the face to what he stood for.


I know via my Jewish family members in NY that Jewish holidays like Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur are big deals up there. I bet more people attend those celebrations than Juneteeth ones. Yet there is not a single public holiday for Jews. And you know what really surprised me? St Patrick's Day is not a public holiday. Even the non-Irish heartily celebrate it and there are huge events yet it's not a public holiday. But I think we all know the difference. The Jews and the Irish don't have a particularly strong tendency to riot and destroy cities. Now if the Jews start walking around the cities then we might have cause for concern, but that's not an immediate problem.
There shouldn't be a public holiday for Jews, as the USA has a separation of church and state (I have no good answer for Christmas). There shouldn't be official public holidays for any ethnicity. Let them celebrate, sure, but why is a legal holiday appropriate (for an interesting story about St. Pat's day, look up what Boston did)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mars View Post
@Previous posts regarding not knowing about it/not being big: Juneteenth is a recognized holiday in 47 of the states, either as an observance or state wide holiday, but it isn’t a national holiday. Many of these states recognized this day before 2002, or between 2000 and 2009. That being said, I do agree with the fact that politicians pander to current situations. But then again, I don’t see why that’s totally a bad thing? People are supposed to change based off of new information, new things happening, and adapt (at least the way I see it). I don’t think someone should bend over or be biased or anything, but it happens all the time, be it politicians or corporations or whoever.
A 'recognized holiday' in not the same as a legal holiday. Only four states have juneteenth as a legal holiday. Requests can be made of state and federal legislatures to 'recognize' any holiday. It's not uncommon when a state employee of long duration and who has served well retires, a particular date is 'recognized' as "That Person's Day."

I agree it's important to be open to changing your view of matters, based on lifes' experiences and what's going on in society. The problem with pandering is, it isn't based on principle. That's one of the things which bothers me the most about many people who hold very strong political views. It's all about their political agenda, not any principle, which can be applied to a different situation. Virtue signaling, or changing your position with the change in the wind direction are not respectable means for politicians, or anyone else, to make decisions.

Flexibility and a willingness to change your view over time is a positive trait. Having no backbone and doing what's politically beneficial is not.

Likes: (1)
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:00 PM   #10
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator
 
Sailor Mars's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 26, 2015
Location: State of constant stress and anxiety
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I agree it's important to be open to changing your view of matters, based on lifes' experiences and what's going on in society. The problem with pandering is, it isn't based on principle. That's one of the things which bothers me the most about many people who hold very strong political views. It's all about their political agenda, not any principle, which can be applied to a different situation. Virtue signaling, or changing your position with the change in the wind direction are not respectable means for politicians, or anyone else, to make decisions.

Flexibility and a willingness to change your view over time is a positive trait. Having no backbone and doing what's politically beneficial is not.
Agreed. I don’t think modern day politics or politicians, or very many in history at all, have the people’s best interests at heart. It’s always agenda over principle, as you said. I don’t think all cases are of politicians pandering, but no doubt most of them are, just so they stay on the “good side” of the public. I think maybe Cuomo’s decision is partly pandering, but not completely.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Likes: (1)
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 07:44 PM   #11
Zika
Frozen
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Mars View Post
Agreed. I don’t think modern day politics or politicians, or very many in history at all, have the people’s best interests at heart. It’s always agenda over principle, as you said. I don’t think all cases are of politicians pandering, but no doubt most of them are, just so they stay on the “good side” of the public. I think maybe Cuomo’s decision is partly pandering, but not completely.
It's not just politicians; it's people in general.
I'm pro-abortion, strongly. But I'm appalled at the restriction of free speech imposed on anti-abortion protesters (particularly prior to the supreme court reversing some of it). When I would ask pro-choice people about applying the same restrictions to other protests, they objected. It was all about their agenda, not principle.

I was walking down the street today and saw a police officer walking toward his car. Two White guys in a passing car flipped off the officer. I thought to myself, "that's exactly the same type of prejudice as passing a Black person and for no reason at all, calling him a "n****r." But those who support the rioting would say it doesn't apply. (Of course the magnitude of prejudice and the history of prejudice against the two groups are very different).

As for Cuomo, it's possible to agree with a politician and still believe she/he is doing it to pander, while you yourself support it for more respectable reasons. I think in this case, the question as to whether he's entirely pandering or not, is to see what he had to say about this prior to the past few weeks.
None the less, if you support juneteenth, it's fine to support him on this, regardless of his motives.

Last edited by Zika; June 22nd, 2020 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Censored
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2020, 08:09 PM   #12
ShineintheDark
Banned
 
Name: Magnus
Join Date: April 11, 2017
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Being both a redundant holiday (obviously it's important but MLK Day basically celebrates the same things)
It really doesn't though - MLK Day celebrates the life and work of MLK as well as the general advances made during the Civil Rights Movement; Juneteenth specifically celebrates the day that Union soldiers marched into the state capitol of Texas (the last state to implement the 13th Amendment) and forced slave owners to free their slaves with immediate effect and therefore the holiday celebrates the first time the national government not only backed abolition with words, but also with military action. They both celebrate different major events in black history in the US, yes, but they celebrate 2 very different points with very different changes being made. Conflating them is like saying 'Pick Passover or Hannukah, they're pretty much the same thing'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
I know via my Jewish family members in NY that Jewish holidays like Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Yom Kippur are big deals up there. I bet more people attend those celebrations than Juneteeth ones. Yet there is not a single public holiday for Jews.
And you know what really surprised me? St Patrick's Day is not a public holiday. Even the non-Irish heartily celebrate it and there are huge events yet it's not a public holiday.
Both are religious holidays and the US has a constitutional commitment to the separation of Church and State. As you yourself mentioned, states with large Jewish and Irish populations frequently do mass public celebrations for those days but they can't be made formal public holidays without violating constitutional law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
But I think we all know the difference. The Jews and the Irish don't have a particularly strong tendency to riot and destroy cities.
Eeeeeeee, I don't know about that one chief. Do you really want to state that black people 'have a particularly strong tendency to riot'?
Likes: (1)
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2020, 11:30 PM   #13
Snowfox
Nice Poster
 
Name: Pyry
Join Date: May 23, 2017
Location: Finland
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineintheDark View Post
Eeeeeeee, I don't know about that one chief. Do you really want to state that black people 'have a particularly strong tendency to riot'?
Yes I would state that since there is strong cultural tendency towards violence in black community. Gang culture is one part of it. Also one part of it is that what ever negative happens in black persons life it is always not because he has screwed up or he had bad luck its because he is black.

Who is John Galt
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2020, 11:25 AM   #14
Falcons_11
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: October 12, 2015
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: Gov. Cuomo Issues Executive Order Recognizing Juneteenth as a Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
Yes I would state that since there is strong cultural tendency towards violence in black community. Gang culture is one part of it. Also one part of it is that what ever negative happens in black persons life it is always not because he has screwed up or he had bad luck its because he is black.
Careful, Pyry. You are stepping on the "third rail" of political correctness.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2020
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2020, VirtualTeen.org