Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 29th, 2020, 03:34 PM   #61
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Default Re: Trump Supporters?

Keep this thread on topic please, and keep in mind that hate speech and bashing will absolutely not be tolerated. ~Mars

"The head may err, but never the blood.Ē
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~george was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:03 PM   #62
Kraken
Junior Member+

Kraken's Forum Picture

Name: Max

Lots of Americans think only in America you can get less votes and win. As someone originally from Europe, I can say it happens all the time in Europe. Totally normal to get less than 50% vote and more than 50% seats in parliament. And when you have over 50% of the seats you also get the Prime Minister. Rarely anyone gets over 50%. In Hungary (where Iím from originally), you can get 45% of the votes and 65% of the seats then you totally run the country. Same in like UK, the prime minister never get over 50% but they run the country anyway.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:47 PM   #63
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
Lots of Americans think only in America you can get less votes and win. As someone originally from Europe, I can say it happens all the time in Europe. Totally normal to get less than 50% vote and more than 50% seats in parliament. And when you have over 50% of the seats you also get the Prime Minister. Rarely anyone gets over 50%. In Hungary (where Iím from originally), you can get 45% of the votes and 65% of the seats then you totally run the country. Same in like UK, the prime minister never get over 50% but they run the country anyway.
Admittedly, I'm not at all familiar with the Hungarian election process, but I believe the point you're raising is majority vs plurality. I believe it's common to elect politicians by plurality, that is, they get more votes than any other candidate, but they don't get more than 50% of the votes, which would be a majority.

What happened in the last USA presidential election is the candidate who had the most votes, a plurality of the votes, didn't get elected, because of a simple to cure flaw in most states' electoral college system.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:29 AM   #64
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post
Well heís not a master, his appeal is only to easily led idiots, thatís not challenging
Well he did rally half of the population as they voted for him.
And they will do it again at the next election
Oskarr-Padawan-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:38 AM   #65
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I just think more people would vote if they knew their vote mattered as much as anyone elseís
Over 100,000,000 who could have voted, didnt last time
I canít wait to vote
an idiot who votes has more influence than an intelligent who doesn't
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:45 AM   #66
knives

knives's Forum Picture

Name: Kaylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskarr-Padawan-2005 View Post
Well he did rally half of the population as they voted for him.
And they will do it again at the next election
No he didnít - approximately 232 million could have voted
Of that 232 million only almost 63 million voted Trump

The amount that didnít vote for either candidate is huge
knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 01:17 AM   #67
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Wink Re: Trump Supporters?

Quote:
No he didnít - approximately 232 million could have voted
Of that 232 million only almost 63 million voted Trump

The amount that didnít vote for either candidate is huge
Allright maybe I should have said half of the voters instead of half of the population, but you get my point
Getting 63 million people to vote for you, this is still huge

100 million who did not vote at all that's huge, I agree. But that's how politics and elections work. In order to win all you have to do is gather more votes (or more strategical votes) than your opponents. The percentage of the total population that it represents doesn't matter. People who dont vote dont matter either

Of course, if one day we set up a rule saying that beyond a certain abstention rate, the election is voided, and candidates have to be replaced, that would be a change !
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:37 AM   #68
Kraken
Junior Member+

Kraken's Forum Picture

Name: Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
Admittedly, I'm not at all familiar with the Hungarian election process, but I believe the point you're raising is majority vs plurality. I believe it's common to elect politicians by plurality, that is, they get more votes than any other candidate, but they don't get more than 50% of the votes, which would be a majority.

What happened in the last USA presidential election is the candidate who had the most votes, a plurality of the votes, didn't get elected, because of a simple to cure flaw in most states' electoral college system.
Pretty sure it also happened in the UK before where they didnít even get a plurality. The party with more votes can still get less seats and canít run parliament.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 05:48 AM   #69
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Pretty sure it also happened in the UK before where they didnít even get a plurality. The party with more votes can still get less seats and canít run parliament.
It's because of electoral districts in the UK. In Serbia it is based on percentages of the popular vote. You nees 5%+1 of the popular vote to enter Parliament. This year it has been lowered to 3%+1 because the opposition massively boycotts the elections.
So when the votes of the parties that entered parliament are drawn together and percentages are determined, then you see who got how many MPs. Also small parties rarely participate in elections for legislature and government so, if there were no tampering with ballot boxes, we would have a pretty fair system.

VT's most likely to become president of 2017 & 2019
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM   #70
Bostonian

Name: Jasper

Trump seems like a terrible person to be around, and I don't like him one bit. I still think he does plenty of good things, and I'll be the first one to will him on if he's creating positive change.

Quote:
Pretty sure it also happened in the UK before where they didn’t even get a plurality. The party with more votes can still get less seats and can’t run parliament.
Adding on, in Canada, Justin Trudeau and his Liberals got less votes than Andrew Scheer and his Conservatives. That's why Westminster style systems aren't very good for popular representation.

No frills, no thrills, no fuss.
Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote