Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 22nd, 2021, 08:10 PM   #21
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Default Re: What will be the likely outcome of the Derek Chauvin trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
I do think this case brings up the question of the extent to which jurors are blank slates immune to outside influences (which was never really true to begin with). There's no evidence they were swayed by threats of violence or "caved to pressure", but it's an interesting question. In the era of social media and "trial by Twitter" can any jurors really be impartial or have no preconceptions about a high profile case like this unless they live under a rock? Even a change of venue wouldn't have solved that.
I wouldn't say it's a flaw of a jury system, but you cannot really have impartial legal proceedings with lynching mobs on the loose.

Still, despite George's criminal history, he never stood a chance at a fair trial because Chauvin took his life away. Chauvin might be sentenced, but the problem of police brutality still persists in the US.

VT's most likely to become president of 2017, 2019 & 2020
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2021, 04:57 AM   #22
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I fear the appeals process will force a mistrial.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2021, 12:03 PM   #23
Eivor

Eivor's Forum Picture

Name: Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
I fear the appeals process will force a mistrial.
Mistrial how?
Itís all there on multiple video recordings
He murdered that man
Eivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2021, 09:39 PM   #24
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivor View Post
Mistrial how?
Itís all there on multiple video recordings
He murdered that man
Defence can argue that jury wasn't impartial due to media coverage. It wasn't about oif he did or did not do it anymore, it's the technicalities and semantics. Although, raising the sentence so high from the average what killer cops get is good because after the appeals the sentence will probably get shortened but will still be longer than usual.

Old April 25th, 2021, 10:42 PM   #25
Eivor

Eivor's Forum Picture

Name: Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Defence can argue that jury wasn't impartial due to media coverage. It wasn't about oif he did or did not do it anymore, it's the technicalities and semantics. Although, raising the sentence so high from the average what killer cops get is good because after the appeals the sentence will probably get shortened but will still be longer than usual.
I get that, but any retrial would have the same issue
I heard because he has no previous criminal record he wouldnít get a max sentence but at the same time as a cop should be held to a higher standard so would get more than minimum

Itís disgusting to watch the video
Eivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2021, 10:32 AM   #26
HeyCameron
Awesome Poster

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
I wouldn't say it's a flaw of a jury system, but you cannot really have impartial legal proceedings with lynching mobs on the loose.
But then what's the best way to ensure impartial legal proceedings? Even if the jury had been sequestered from the beginning and had not known anything of Maxine Waters' statements or the state of protests in the city, they could've accurately assumed that there would be potentially violent backlash to an acquittal given everything that happened following Floyd's death and the start of the trial. To me it seems there is no way to ensure that a jury is not taking the reaction of the public into consideration.

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. Those who lack humor are without judgment and should be trusted with nothing".
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2021, 08:04 AM   #27
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
But then what's the best way to ensure impartial legal proceedings? Even if the jury had been sequestered from the beginning and had not known anything of Maxine Waters' statements or the state of protests in the city, they could've accurately assumed that there would be potentially violent backlash to an acquittal given everything that happened following Floyd's death and the start of the trial. To me it seems there is no way to ensure that a jury is not taking the reaction of the public into consideration.
There isn't. You have so many cases of people being tried for the same crime and it happened in identical conditions and get differing sentences. Honestly, if the defence argues a lack of impartiality, you can always argue that no one really recieves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivor View Post
I get that, but any retrial would have the same issue
I heard because he has no previous criminal record he wouldnít get a max sentence but at the same time as a cop should be held to a higher standard so would get more than minimum

Itís disgusting to watch the video
For a retrial, the defence is risking the jury forcing a higher sentence because the jurors might be targets of lynching mobs.

Old May 4th, 2021, 10:03 PM   #28
Falcons_11
Legendary Member

Derek Chauvin's attorneys filed motions to have his murder convictions by a Minneapolis jury overturned. The reasons cited by defense lawyers were jury misconduct and intimidation, refusal of the judge to sequester the jury and refusal of the judge to entertain defense motion for change on venue. They are alleging that Chauvin was denied his Constitutional right to a fair trial as provided under Amendment VI. The defense is seeking to thrown out Chauvin murder convictions and have the Appeals Court order a new trial in another jurisdiction.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:43 AM   #29
Blueisthecolour1
VT Lover

Name: Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
Derek Chauvin's attorneys filed motions to have his murder convictions by a Minneapolis jury overturned. The reasons cited by defense lawyers were jury misconduct and intimidation, refusal of the judge to sequester the jury and refusal of the judge to entertain defense motion for change on venue. They are alleging that Chauvin was denied his Constitutional right to a fair trial as provided under Amendment VI. The defense is seeking to thrown out Chauvin murder convictions and have the Appeals Court order a new trial in another jurisdiction.
Itís hard to get a fair trial when its all over social media what happened, but the evidence is there for all to see, if it goes to a re trail he might get off the serious charge of murder and get a lesser conviction

Itís official Iím now awesome 01/01/2021

VT Lover 06/04/2021
Blueisthecolour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2021, 09:45 PM   #30
Falcons_11
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueisthecolour1 View Post
It’s hard to get a fair trial when its all over social media what happened, but the evidence is there for all to see, if it goes to a re trail he might get off the serious charge of murder and get a lesser conviction
Yes, that is true and I think that the prosecution put on a rock solid case against Chauvin and the jury did return the correct verdict. But, the actions of some outside influences, plus the fact that the judge did not sequester the jurors and denied a change of venue brief, left the door open for the defense to file an appeal to throw out the murder convictions and possibly get a new trial outside of Hennepin County . In American jurisprudence, the right to have a trial by a fair and impartial jury is sacrosanct. A jury must consider the evidence without any outside influences or personal prejudices. If the defense can prove that the jury was tainted by outside influences or personal prejudices, then the conviction can be thrown out. It is possible that if the appeals court throws out Chauvin's murder convictions and orders a new trial, Chauvin could get off with a lighter sentence or even get acquitted despite all the damning evidence against him.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Last edited by Falcons_11; May 5th, 2021 at 09:51 PM.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2021, 08:07 AM   #31
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Quote:
Yes, that is true and I think that the prosecution put on a rock solid case against Chauvin and the jury did return the correct verdict. But, the actions of some outside influences, plus the fact that the judge did not sequester the jurors and denied a change of venue brief, left the door open for the defense to file an appeal to throw out the murder convictions and possibly get a new trial outside of Hennepin County . In American jurisprudence, the right to have a trial by a fair and impartial jury is sacrosanct. A jury must consider the evidence without any outside influences or personal prejudices. If the defense can prove that the jury was tainted by outside influences or personal prejudices, then the conviction can be thrown out. It is possible that if the appeals court throws out Chauvin's murder convictions and orders a new trial, Chauvin could get off with a lighter sentence or even get acquitted despite all the damning evidence against him.
Well, the only way I see him getting off with a lesser sentence or scot-free is if the jury gets filled by members of the KKK or Charlie Kirk and Ben Shapiro who somehow managed to clone themselves.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #32
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Adding to this, it came out that one of the jurors did attend or participate in a black lives matter protest group, which calls into his question of impartiality in the trial, as well as how he answered questions about himself during the pre-trial stage of Jury selection.

So we’ll see what happens.

@Eivor the responses you got from others in response to replying to my post explain my perspective well. The others explained why I still fear what the appeals court does in response to these complaints.

I do think the judge should’ve sequestered the jury immediately to do everything possible to be “above reproach” to the appeals process, it’s not perfect but like why not take every precaution possible and available to the court’s process?

This is largely a downside of social media kinda creating a climate inviting people to be so outspoken on stuff, it can actually harm a lot of the legal processes meant to demonstrate impartiality when it comes to court stuff.

——
But that being said, there’s updates in the case that Justice Cahill might add extra prison time to Derek Chauvin’s conviction due to “aggravating factors” surrounding the prosecution and conviction of Chauvin.

Last edited by Uniquemind; Yesterday at 05:07 PM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote