Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 16th, 2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Abcde1234

Default ADMIN... Europeans Right to Erasure

I just found out today Virtual Teen does not have any way of deleting accounts.

In Europe, this is breaking the law. Europeans have many new rights under GDPR which apply to any website operating in Europe. The one here is the “Right to Erasure”. If I wish to have my account erased, Virtual Teen is withholding that right.

I merely say this as many people probably would like to have the option of deleting their accounts when they don’t want them online anymore. I hope any admin who reads this would take it on board. It is the law I suppose.
Abcde1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 08:44 PM   #2
ShineintheDark
Banned

Name: Magnus
Default Re: ADMIN... Europeans Right to Erasure

This website is at least a decade older than that law and can only be changed by the original creator who hasn't been on in years I think so there's really nothing Mods can do
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:51 PM   #3
Croconaw
Water Type

Croconaw's Forum Picture

Accounts are never deleted just in case you want to return to the site. You can ask a staff member to freeze your account and delete all of your posts. That is another option.

Los Angeles Kings Fan Los Angeles Dodgers Fan
Croconaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 12:03 PM   #4
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

I think the GDPR rules also apply outside of Europe, if its collecting data on any EU country and citizen then its to apply.

It does matter how old VT is, I think they've got to comply, regardless of in house rules etc.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 03:12 PM   #5
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek

I'm not sure what Val is doing, and I'm no longer sure how to contact her, but short of someone else somehow acquiring the rights to the site and taking over adminship, or for her to come back, I don't really think there's any way to implement it

Former and current mods' hands are kind of tied. IIRC they don't have that power.

Ren
Old fart
Feel free to check out my Tumblr
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 10:08 AM   #6
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

GDPR does apply to non-EU based web services. Basically any web service which allows people in EU countries to use their site must comply to them. So unless you want to ban any traffic from Europe, you basically have to comply by GDPR or risk legal action. In my opinion that's a little far-reaching, but that's the way it is.

As for implementing this change, the admins are indefinitely AFK. Val just disappeared, the owner of the site has basically stated that besides paying hosting bills, he isn't going to be involved in the site anymore. So yeah there really is no route to implement this change. Mods don't have the power to change the site, and the admin are out.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 01:35 AM   #7
TheMatrix
Retired G(M)od

TheMatrix's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas

None of this is true. According to a recent EU court decision, the right to be forgotten (as well as the rest of GDPR, presumably) only applies within Europe.

VT is hosted in the US and therefore does not and most likely never will be in compliance with EU rules. They do not have to block EU traffic either; as a concerned and responsable EU citizen your correct course of action would be to never use VT again, but that wouldn't be very fun would it?

Also the admins haven't completely vanished, I have two of them on Facebook and they post stuff from time to time

Signature by Jon 'n Mike
Formerly at your service as GD Moderator(2011-2012) and Global Moderator(2012-2014).
Quote:
Originally Posted by The chat, sometime in November 2011
4:22 PM [idkgay] what does infract men i mesan realy ppl use english
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsethfitz
You are so foolish and "OFF TOPIC" as you mods always like to jump at stuff about.
~Ron was here~
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #8
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
None of this is true. According to a recent EU court decision, the right to be forgotten (as well as the rest of GDPR, presumably) only applies within Europe.

VT is hosted in the US and therefore does not and most likely never will be in compliance with EU rules. They do not have to block EU traffic either; as a concerned and responsable EU citizen your correct course of action would be to never use VT again, but that wouldn't be very fun would it?

Also the admins haven't completely vanished, I have two of them on Facebook and they post stuff from time to time
Well, you can't blame me for not noticing that change, given that it just happened a few days ago and over turned a long-assumed precedence. Surprised I haven't heard about that before now, I guess the Trump impeachment inquiry has dominated US media, but hey I'm supportive of the change.

No one is saying the admins have been raptured off planet Earth or what not. Just that they don't seem to have any presence on the site, despite multiple requests from users to respond to issues.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2021, 01:51 PM   #9
RolfDavidson
Banned

Name: Vaughn

This website is at least a decade older than that law
RolfDavidson is offline   Reply With Quote