Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3rd, 2021, 11:36 AM   #1
HeyCameron
Awesome Poster
 
HeyCameron's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cameron
Join Date: August 15, 2016
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Default Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

What would teaching "critical race theory" in schools actually look like? What specifically would students be taught? Were you taught "critical race theory"?

This has become the latest educational wedge issue in the U.S. but I'm finding descriptions of what it actually means vague and nonspecific.

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. Those who lack humor are without judgment and should be trusted with nothing".
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2021, 01:04 PM   #2
BJade
Awesome Poster
 
BJade's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jade
Join Date: May 23, 2019
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

I read what it is, but still confused it seems like a white intellectual thing of saying "black get abused because they're black, and white people like it that way"

Just seems like it was a way of looking at racism that's outdated and overly simplified. And kinda racist view of anti discrimination


Good Friend Kinda Romantic Ready to Rock

"Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair..."

"It's a smile, it's a kiss, it's a sip of wine ... it's summertime!"
Likes: (1)
BJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2021, 02:51 PM   #3
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Wtf is critical race theory?

VT's most likely to become president of 2017, 2019 & 2020
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2021, 07:11 PM   #4
jaret
Nice Poster
 
jaret's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 23, 2017
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
What would teaching "critical race theory" in schools actually look like? What specifically would students be taught? Were you taught "critical race theory"?

This has become the latest educational wedge issue in the U.S. but I'm finding descriptions of what it actually means vague and nonspecific.
As far as race is concerned, I think it might mean that we teach "real" history, not "Hollywood" history.
Also since we, in the United States are from around the world and more than 200 countries, and no longer just from Western Europe we need need to expose everyone about the "real" history not just the WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants) version of US History
version.
In regards to US History, people should read Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States , to get another view, other than what mostly exposed to.
Also remember the expression:
"Teachers should teach you how to think, not what to think"

Last edited by jaret; June 3rd, 2021 at 07:28 PM.
Likes: (1)
jaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 04:18 AM   #5
BJade
Awesome Poster
 
BJade's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jade
Join Date: May 23, 2019
Location: England
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaret View Post
Also remember the expression:
"Teachers should teach you how to think, not what to think"
I like that quote, would be nice if schools and education could be analysed against that, how you've grown as a person and how you can deal with life in the future. I'm not sure how it is in the US or other countries, but the UK everything is based on getting top marks on English and Maths, and knowing facts (most only a use after school if you go on a quiz show). Art, sports, social skills (like understanding race) are pushed to a boundary as they take time from what creates a "successful " school and end up a box ticking exercise at the minimum disruption to "education "


Good Friend Kinda Romantic Ready to Rock

"Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair..."

"It's a smile, it's a kiss, it's a sip of wine ... it's summertime!"
BJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 08:24 AM   #6
Ralph.S.G.R
Great Poster
 
Ralph.S.G.R's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ralph
Join Date: May 25, 2020
Location: Gibraltar... an Englishman abroad.
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Critical race theory should absolutely be taught as ONE WAY of looking at texts and historical issues along with a number of other critical theories like Marxism and post-modernism, as well as less critical theories like conservatism for example. The difficulty and controversy surrounding CRT comes when the statements and theories of critical race theorists like Robin Di Angelo (moron) get taught by schools as the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. That’s when, rightfully, people get pissed off.

“I think animal testing is cruel. They get all nervous and give silly answers”
- Stephen Fry

PM ME! I’m almost always bored!
Ralph.S.G.R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2021, 08:24 AM   #7
lliam
VT Lover
 
lliam's Forum Picture
 
Name: Liam
Join Date: July 29, 2015
Location: VIBCCA
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 9
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

The approach of CRT seems too academic to teach this in schools. In addition, I think there are no aspects that students aren't familiar already with on the practical side. What's missing is probably the focus on a more conscious perception of the problem in teaching to achieve a more natural but critical view.





"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."



lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2021, 09:16 AM   #8
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

I think the idea of it is good, like the spirit of telling new or overlooked moments in history that up until now we’re glossed over.

What’s toxic about it is the dogmatic sense of righteousness and the oversimplification of morality, that then gets gamified into the social hierarchy of student school populace’s, workplaces, etc, and also social media clout online.

It’s like the types of people generally who are looking to still build a social-clout game of shame entity X, just didn’t change, the games rules just flipped on who gets tarred and feathered, but it isn’t any more or less just.

Just because someone might come from a privileged “racial or gender or sexual orientation” background doesn’t necessarily mean they feel lesser or need an interjector speaking in their behalf (that’s a very Hollywood film-esque trope).

Once you start making “categories” of who is what race or gender, and therefore where they line-up on the less to more privilege spectrum, you begin to run into problems:

1. People are mixed race often times

2. The culture they identify with at home might not match how they look but genetically they can make claim to be from that culture (this is where misguided attempts of blaming others of cultural appropriation and shaming them happens way to fast).


3. You have people’s likes or dislikes behind microanalyzed so as to get a read on their “content of character” so they can later be morally corrected.

That’s just to name a few reasons too. Don’t think for a second that smarter sociopaths, can’t play the system of “Critical race theory and intersectionalism”, to learn how to “rally” support against would-be rivals for popularity or good image, or to distance themselves from their own “bad deeds” that they’d like to keep quiet.


You can see traces of how many corporations too have interwoven symbolist icons into their sales marketing pitches both on online platforms and traditional media to signal artificially they care for social cause (this that and the other thing) but deep down it seems hollow.

You can see in current events too when business brands really step in moral marketing bad-taste too.

(Pepsi drink a Pepsi an everything is better commercial for example from a few years ago?)

White-colored Skittles.
Likes: (1)
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2021, 09:51 AM   #9
Ralph.S.G.R
Great Poster
 
Ralph.S.G.R's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ralph
Join Date: May 25, 2020
Location: Gibraltar... an Englishman abroad.
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post

What’s toxic about it is the dogmatic sense of righteousness and the oversimplification of morality, that then gets gamified into the social hierarchy of student school populace’s, workplaces, etc, and also social media clout online.

It’s like the types of people generally who are looking to still build a social-clout game of shame entity X, just didn’t change, the games rules just flipped on who gets tarred and feathered, but it isn’t any more or less just.


Don’t think for a second that smarter sociopaths, can’t play the system of “Critical race theory and intersectionalism”, to learn how to “rally” support against would-be rivals for popularity or good image, or to distance themselves from their own “bad deeds” that they’d like to keep quiet.


You can see traces of how many corporations too have interwoven symbolist icons into their sales marketing pitches both on online platforms and traditional media to signal artificially they care for social cause (this that and the other thing) but deep down it seems hollow.

You can see in current events too when business brands really step in moral marketing bad-taste too.

(Pepsi drink a Pepsi an everything is better commercial for example from a few years ago?)

White-colored Skittles.
All this perfectly sums up how I feel about it.
Very well written

“I think animal testing is cruel. They get all nervous and give silly answers”
- Stephen Fry

PM ME! I’m almost always bored!
Likes: (1)
Ralph.S.G.R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 08:56 AM   #10
Ragle
Nice Poster
 
Ragle's Forum Picture
 
Name: Elgar
Join Date: February 8, 2016
Location: Inmyinnerspace
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
Wtf is critical race theory?

I had such a WTF moment too. But then I remembered that Trump said at one point that he would never allow critical race theory to be taught in schools or that no tax money would be wasted on it. Has something to do with the fact that they want to promote a critical awareness that racism is still firmly anchored in the everyday American life. Even in legislation.
Ragle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 02:19 PM   #11
Blueisthecolour1
VT Lover
 
Name: Chris
Join Date: November 7, 2020
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Had to look it up and it’s seems very controversial to teach and it can cause more problems and cause more racial divide

It’s official I’m now awesome 01/01/2021

VT Lover 06/04/2021
Blueisthecolour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:43 PM   #12
julia1234
Member++
 
julia1234's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 3, 2021
Age: 13
Gender: Female
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

I dont understand why they cant just teach facts and not teach opinions. To me it is stupid. Yes things happened and we need to move beyond it instead of focusing on it to drive each other apart.
Likes: (1)
julia1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:33 PM   #13
Bart-Simpson
Member+
 
Bart-Simpson's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 21, 2021
Location: UK
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
What would teaching "critical race theory" in schools actually look like? What specifically would students be taught? Were you taught "critical race theory"?

This has become the latest educational wedge issue in the U.S. but I'm finding descriptions of what it actually means vague and nonspecific.
I didn't really understand what it is :/
Bart-Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2021, 02:50 PM   #14
Dmaxd123
Nice Poster
 
Join Date: December 25, 2016
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

i think julia is right, CRT is too vague right now which leaves too many options for teachers to interject their opinion. I think we all have had or will have at least one educator that loses touch with teaching and turns to preaching pushing their opinions on the classroom and not necessarily being open to a debate against their view.

now if a teacher wants to teach some form of CRT (to my understanding of it which isn't great) where they teach about a law and what it means and how that affects different groups but it doesn't need to be race related, race is an aspect but there is also social economic groups to consider, geographic things to consider, a law in upstate NY isn't necessarily needed/pertinent to NYC nor to LA so in theory it could be taught about successfully but it would take some work and needs to be more broad than just how race affects something
Likes: (1)
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 12:21 AM   #15
Falcons_11
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: October 12, 2015
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

CRT espouses the idea that one race is better than others and promotes racial division. It harkens back to the days of Jim Crowism, the Dred Scott decision (1857) and Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) which mandated that one race was better than the other. It was wrong back then and it's still wrong now. All of us should heed the words of Dr. Martin Luther King when he said that "We must live together as brothers or perish as fools". This "theory" does the exact opposite of what Dr. King taught us. To teach this theory in school a giant step backwards into the darkness of racial division and oppression in the past. We have come a long way out of this darkness. But we still have a long way to still go for true equality and justice for all. But, CRT isn't the way to achieve this goal. All races have to work together as equals as Dr. King taught us and not as adversaries. If we cannot do this, we are truly fools and doomed as a nation.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Last edited by Falcons_11; June 11th, 2021 at 12:27 AM.
Likes: (1)
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 03:19 AM   #16
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover
 
Stronk Serb's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 3, 2012
Location: Serbia (FYR)
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
CRT espouses the idea that one race is better than others and promotes racial division. It harkens back to the days of Jim Crowism, the Dred Scott decision (1857) and Plessy v. Ferguson (1896) which mandated that one race was better than the other. It was wrong back then and it's still wrong now. All of us should heed the words of Dr. Martin Luther King when he said that "We must live together as brothers or perish as fools". This "theory" does the exact opposite of what Dr. King taught us. To teach this theory in school a giant step backwards into the darkness of racial division and oppression in the past. We have come a long way out of this darkness. But we still have a long way to still go for true equality and justice for all. But, CRT isn't the way to achieve this goal. All races have to work together as equals as Dr. King taught us and not as adversaries. If we cannot do this, we are truly fools and doomed as a nation.
I suggest you read up on it more. The basic premise is okay, it wants to increase equality of opportunities among races in the US. Still, it can be very divisive because it focuses on laws abd how they affect races. For example, an African-American from the ghetto would be more affected by the local administration not investing money in his community than by laws. Also I didn't really see them criticizing the really unfair laws regarding the Natives.

Should it be taught in schools? No, but maybe debated on in college or university. It is very divisive because in my opinion, it looks at the problem from the wrong angle and, as such, getting the wrong picture. American whites aren't in general better off than others because of laws they made. They are better off because whites hold all economic power and via distributing it unevenly and impoverishing others, they maintain their grip, not because of laws. Plus, in most societies, including the US, laws don't really apply that much to elites because of their financial power to make most things go away.

Should other forms of racial solidarity be promoted? Yes, absolutely. There should be no racial divides. Still, I think that, for example, regarding black problems, the blacks should spearhead in solving them with others helping.

VT's most likely to become president of 2017, 2019 & 2020
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 04:01 PM   #17
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronk Serb View Post
I suggest you read up on it more. The basic premise is okay, it wants to increase equality of opportunities among races in the US. Still, it can be very divisive because it focuses on laws abd how they affect races. For example, an African-American from the ghetto would be more affected by the local administration not investing money in his community than by laws. Also I didn't really see them criticizing the really unfair laws regarding the Natives.

Should it be taught in schools? No, but maybe debated on in college or university. It is very divisive because in my opinion, it looks at the problem from the wrong angle and, as such, getting the wrong picture. American whites aren't in general better off than others because of laws they made. They are better off because whites hold all economic power and via distributing it unevenly and impoverishing others, they maintain their grip, not because of laws. Plus, in most societies, including the US, laws don't really apply that much to elites because of their financial power to make most things go away.

Should other forms of racial solidarity be promoted? Yes, absolutely. There should be no racial divides. Still, I think that, for example, regarding black problems, the blacks should spearhead in solving them with others helping.
American USA Whites, are taking their microcosm of truth (that of the 2000-4000 Billionaires or millionaires) on the planet, because the concentration of those are mostly white, that therefore the entire race has more equity and is therefore privilege, IS a half-truth strawman argument.

That’s why it’s flawed but it’s based in some truth.

The problem is because you’re taking a small percentage of the population, looking at their wealth and power, and then equating it to an entire race (or in some cases not even race, just on their appearance on the outside, and not really their environment in how they were raised or their genetics persay).


It’s an unfair foundational argument. The reason being TONS of poor-whites live in absolute squalor poverty in conditions that are very similar to poor Latin American, Asian, and African american populations.

The struggle is more equitable to be honest, and for those who have a lot the issue and conversation needs to come from the job-support and job-training angle so diversity CAN be achieved but also naturally strengthen the nation’s workforce’s skill set.


What’s happening is a bastardization of that concept, where diversity-hires, are happening in some industries (some more than others) where it’s being combined with the cheap-side values of capitalism where business-supply chains or manufacturing processes are cutting corners of quality (in the product or in job skilled workers at the hiring-screening process).

They’re fitting racial quotas of diversity to report back to US Dept. of Labor, and to virtue signal in marketing campaigns in commercials to try to change image and capture Millenials and Gen Z to say “their brand stands for something buy product X” and in some respects that’s working.

People follow the moral or herd mentality of the “right thing” to do.

But it’s also come at a cost, such as what’s happen with some of the big movie studios and their brands out of Hollywood.


This video below mentions one dynamic combined with a tangential aspect of CRT which is “moralization” message within media products, in a global-trade environment. (Warning: the video is about 50 minutes long to listen to)


https://youtu.be/muO5fy7lOOM



I should also note that on youtube, and in various other websites about entertainment journalism (marketing in some ways), this youtube channel carries the stigma of being labeled “alt-right or hateful”.

But you take a listen for yourself and see if they’re truly hateful, or if they’re just really critical in thought, but analytical with valid perspective?

Then think about if because of the strength of their argument if their opponents who feel threatened by their channel and voice, are being metaphorically slandered so as to product a image or brand they’re criticizing?

————

This might seem off topic but it isn’t. CRT and intersectionalism, starts in schools and colleges, but it’s beginning to seep into business structures, products, and therefore the revenue streams of businesses in ways that threaten a business’s profitability and therefore household income of a country’s populace (b/c layoffs when businesses experience shrinking revenues).


You need to see the connection from A to B to C to D, to see the overall causal effects of why teaching CRT and intersectionalism in the dogmatic way it’s been going, has been hurting more than helping.
Likes: (1)
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 07:05 PM   #18
Falcons_11
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: October 12, 2015
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

I think Uniquemind's post is spot on. I also listened to the YouTube video and completely agree with it's premise. Major American corporations, especially Hollywood, have been corrupted by China and Chinese money. Unfortunately, the Biden Administration is unwilling to confront the Chinese over their intrusion into American business. China is getting a bigger and bigger control of many major USA corporations and the CEOs and boards of these corporations are allowing this to happen because of profits and markets in China. If this isn't stopped, the USA loses and China wins China isn't the USA's friend. They are the USA's #1 competitor and enemy. They seek world supremacy. Their master plan is to surpass the USA by 2050. And, in this endeavor, they have the support of many USA corporations. Unless the USA wakes up and takes steps to stop this Chinese plan, we better start learning Chinese. We will be just another satellite nation under Chinese hegemony.

President Biden said that the biggest threat to American democracy is white supremacy (then later he said global warming). The threat isn't the buttholes with Confederate flags or Swastika flags of Nazi Germany in their basements that's the problem, it's President Xi-Jinping and the Chinese Communist Party that are the biggest threat to American democracy. C'mon, Man! Wake up and smell the Chinese Oolong tea!

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 07:49 PM   #19
HeyCameron
Awesome Poster
 
HeyCameron's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cameron
Join Date: August 15, 2016
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
American USA Whites, are taking their microcosm of truth (that of the 2000-4000 Billionaires or millionaires) on the planet, because the concentration of those are mostly white, that therefore the entire race has more equity and is therefore privilege, IS a half-truth strawman argument.
But is that what is meant by "privilege"? It's a common misconception of "privilege" that it means everyone in a particular race is "better off". To me that's an oversimplification and a misrepresentation of the issue. What is meant by "privilege" is that white people can take their race for granted in a way that black people cannot: a black man being thought of as a criminal or (ironically) being suspected of being a diversity hire is an example of a lack of privilege. I think this kind of privilege gets intertwined with wealth, but they are not the same thing.

I think the goals are noble even if the methodology isn't. What we're looking at here are statistical averages: statistically, black people are the poorest demographic in the U.S., the least educated, the most likely to be incarcerated. So the question is why and how can we fix it?

I don't think CRT is the answer. CRT places too much emphasis on the stratification of the races when these issues are not always strictly racial (and the solutions can benefit people of all races). But I understand where it comes from.

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.

"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing. Those who lack humor are without judgment and should be trusted with nothing".

Last edited by HeyCameron; June 11th, 2021 at 08:04 PM.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2021, 09:47 PM   #20
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Should "critical race theory" be taught in schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons_11 View Post
I think Uniquemind's post is spot on. I also listened to the YouTube video and completely agree with it's premise. Major American corporations, especially Hollywood, have been corrupted by China and Chinese money. Unfortunately, the Biden Administration is unwilling to confront the Chinese over their intrusion into American business. China is getting a bigger and bigger control of many major USA corporations and the CEOs and boards of these corporations are allowing this to happen because of profits and markets in China. If this isn't stopped, the USA loses and China wins China isn't the USA's friend. They are the USA's #1 competitor and enemy. They seek world supremacy. Their master plan is to surpass the USA by 2050. And, in this endeavor, they have the support of many USA corporations. Unless the USA wakes up and takes steps to stop this Chinese plan, we better start learning Chinese. We will be just another satellite nation under Chinese hegemony.

President Biden said that the biggest threat to American democracy is white supremacy (then later he said global warming). The threat isn't the buttholes with Confederate flags or Swastika flags of Nazi Germany in their basements that's the problem, it's President Xi-Jinping and the Chinese Communist Party that are the biggest threat to American democracy. C'mon, Man! Wake up and smell the Chinese Oolong tea!
Well thanks for the compliment that i made an interesting and important discussion. But with your bottom paragraph I don’t 100% agree, each of these issues are interconnected. (Global warming) more than directly impacts livable land spaces that nations (globally) can build homes and businesses on, if such areas are flooded you can have a “supply shortage” on multiple areas of every nations economy.

Such supply shortages on land, would only worsen localized household income problems as each dollar would be stretched thinner.

If businesses can’t build factories and storage facilities in places where product can be safely stored (away from floods, storm damage, and other disasters like humidity (computer server farms for data storage which many businesses need), you’re gonna see more nations in conflict with each other on a warfare-posturing over whatever resources are left.

There are going to be pocket booms in the economy (like transatlantic routes for shipping being opened up) but then that also means the artic is going to be polluted for energy and it’s a lost national defense buffer geographic space.

So please see how A connects to B connects to C and D issues. You’re still thinking of each issue in isolation and in competition with each other, not how they are dynamic and synergistic with each other.

——-

That response being said I’ll respond to Cameron below if character counts allow. I might in this case have to break a rule, and double post if what i want to say isn’t within character limit...



Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
But is that what is meant by "privilege"? It's a common misconception of "privilege" that it means everyone in a particular race is "better off". To me that's an oversimplification and a misrepresentation of the issue. What is meant by "privilege" is that white people can take their race for granted in a way that black people cannot: a black man being thought of as a criminal or (ironically) being suspected of being a diversity hire is an example of a lack of privilege. I think this kind of privilege gets intertwined with wealth, but they are not the same thing.

I think the goals are noble even if the methodology isn't. What we're looking at here are statistical averages: statistically, black people are the poorest demographic in the U.S., the least educated, the most likely to be incarcerated. So the question is why and how can we fix it?

I don't think CRT is the answer. CRT places too much emphasis on the stratification of the races when these issues are not always strictly racial (and the solutions can benefit people of all races). But I understand where it comes from.

You’re correct they aren’t the same thing 100%, but as you’ve said and I’m rephrasing for meaningful discussions sake there’s overlap significantly so.

I’m not saying systemic racism doesn’t exist, it 100% exists, but wealth is that one bottleneck which determines education outcomes, psychological outcomes, the stability of home life (remember any parental fights about money and time management?).

There definitely needs to be some reparations and general national income infrastructure building with things like childcare etc. But as we’ve seen with deficit spending to stimulate the economy (which is a conservative criticism before stimulus spending was approved, voted on, and passed into law) would happen and would set the USA and global financial world up for a disaster around the corner. Inflation is more heavily felt by the poor (in this case minorities so they’re screwed either way).

But it’s cyclical, and the elephant in the room nobody talks about is why do those stereotypes exist in the first place? Back in the era of the 1960’s and beyond there was definitely more overt racism going on, but now on average I think people just are really seeing violations of meritocracy.


There’s also very valid reasons too that have been told under the table about the issues about “diversity hires and diversity retention of various groups as well”.

In high school there was this teacher who was a bit, shall we say lecherous, he’d leer at the girls a little bit too long, seat them according to his seating plan (basically a metoo movement issue) kinda thing. Grapevine rumor was this was his reputation and there were rumors told generation to generation student to student about this dynamic.

But one of the other grapevine rumors (and when i say rumors I mean someone working on the inside in the HR department broke confidentiality and told my parents who then told me) that the school district was worried about optics and diversity quota if they fired him because this teacher was black man.

Part of the issue to is the education and job-training system, the private sector has always cut corners in terms of job-training because they want immediate hires working on projects that generate cash flow, job-training drains revenues and value from a company, so they do the minimum for HR to say they “technically” trained their employees. But then consumers are also mad due to poor work ethic or product/service.

This is part of another issue, that’s causes the reputation of “subpar employee” diversity hires. Is it right? No, but that’s at least an answer to “where these views come from”.


The good thing is that there are things that can be done once the root cause is identified if it’s a business operations problem or societal operations problem.


But herein lies the next layer of the issue....what is racial in terms of behavior patterns and cultural customs in a society that traditionally (and in a positive sense) thrived and derived strength from sharing aspects of cultures (like art, food or recipes etc.) amongst each other.

I started noticing it around 2011, but i didn’t have the words for it then, I do now. You might’ve seen “cultural appropriation optics fights and blame games on twitter, facebook, other websites, youtube arguments” etc..

We started as a culture to micromanage and say X person doesn’t have the right to behave with this that or the other thing because it’s offensive and disparaging.

It’s effected comedy, art, it’s disrupted many ad campaigns, it’s motivated people to slander and defame businesses on sites like or similar to Yelp. The quality of journalism fact verification check has eroded. Nobody checks to verify reviews or the legitimacy of an accuser’s claims. This is partially what got CNN sued over the the Washington D.C. coverage of the ”Covington kids” lawsuit just because a young white guy had a smirk on his face. (They lost that lawsuit I think to that kid and his family by the way).

I don’t think society is at a point where it can define what “covert” racism is, or when it happens or any other ism or phobia is quite yet. I think we know it exists but it’s being used in an “excuse” to lash back at a very legitimate reason of why the positive desired outcome didn’t occur for some people.

Thirdly, on the violence problem too correlating with racial lines, society has built a system to try to discourage drug dealing and crime behavior, in return for access to student loan help, and bolster minorities access to education, which they lose if say they enter the court system for such crimes. Everyone who takes financial aid actually has to read up on these terms and conditions before receiving financial aid etc.

A lot of this is a work ethic problem, it’s a poverty problem partially caused by inflation and gentrification.

But you can’t blame businesses for being skittish on hiring or trying to start shop in a town or region’s who poses risk of financial harm to success of business. You get what “Cup Foods” (the location of George Floyd’s tragedy) got for initially calling the police. Is the answer the businesses are supposed to take crimes on the chin out of sympathy and turn a blind eye? How’s that supposed to work?

Another example of this is if you’re asian, (because recently a lot of the violent assaults on asians have been done by fellow minorities), what the current cultural climate is saying that the natural tendency to flinch, or get defensive around someone who might look like someone who previously robbed you or assaulted you, you’re the bad guy for having those biases, that’s covert racism. But it’s also a very understandable fear psychological response knowing what we know of how the brain works. Are we on the cultural cusp of saying those feelings are invalid?


In another wider perspective, perhaps white people (who are also criminals for the same reasons due to poverty) are given a blind eye too much and that’s why this double standard exists.

Because I don’t see large swaths of people nowadays that think white people are “superior”.


No what i think is going on, is we’re seeing racial correlations along wealth and opportunity lines, because of a stronger correlation to financial-education and financial-literacy along educational lines.

I think once society changes this, once middle and upper management in a lot of companies invest in society you’ll see a rising of all tides, (some more than others) but a rising nonetheless.


But the blame game that’s going on now, the violence and destruction of property has to stop as well as excuses given for it. Such situations escalate so fast and it creates bad blood.



Fifthly, the other reason I think is USA lacks mental health resources. That plays a deep role into grudge holding on all sides, that kinda psychologically left on it’s own just builds up a lot of anger and resentment and that causes misbehavior which often gets one into the criminalization system. Teaching people how to be productive members of society is important and i support educational programs that do such, but some are pathological and have given up on themselves and don’t care who they hurt.

I’ve talked to people in debates elsewhere who IRL told me to my face “it’s a dog eat dog world” and they really don’t care who they scam because they need money and that’s just the way it is. (Indian tech support call centers type dynamic that we all watch on youtube) is another example of this.

It isn’t racism, a lot of this is classism, it just happens to correlate on racial lines is my TL;DR, and the anger surrounding this topic, is blurred so as to distract from true classism reform in the USA, which is the root of the problem in modern day in my humble opinion.



——
This next link below is also another datapoint of well-meaning industry reform in entertainment industry but at the cost of a meritocracy of potentially good well written original scripts for TV or film. Even if for TV on an episodic basis, if every episode of a show is movie is micro-analyze to the point of equality = equity, it ruins an author or storyteller’s ability to tell the stories they want to, to use writing techniques to build up character entrance or exits at their discretion as a tool to build flow within a plot.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...standards.html

The fear too is that if you’re a creator (youtube or traditional Hollywood) if you in good faith in your attempt to be more diverse in the end-product (so you’re work can get picked up and published versus binned in the trash), you could end up “misappropriating” something and catching bad career damaging criticism from places like Twitter and also ultimately harm the image of the parent company.


And in my opinion to Disney stock along with other traditional media companies has not been doing well, in a year where everyone should’ve been at home. Former CEO Bob Iger revealed he sold tons of shares of his holdings rather than keeping them liquid.


I should point out that, there were rumors, that some companies use computerized software to determine if a script meets diversity quotas or not, I haven’t and can’t verify if this is true or not, but it would make sense that software tools are being used as a statistical heuristic for business expediency.

Last edited by Uniquemind; June 12th, 2021 at 03:39 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2021
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2020, VirtualTeen.org