Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 27th, 2020, 12:19 AM   #61
Spooky_Eli
Banned

Name: Spooky Eli.
Default Re: Proove God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCO2003 View Post
Except that you really can't. There are theories. But there is no solid, measurable proof for it at this point. Because there is no real way to measure quanta without having the measurement itself alter that which you are attempting to measure. There are a lot of opinionated self-important assholes who say otherwise. They call themselves "scientists". But we could just as easily call them Ministers. And that makes it just as much a belief system as any religion, no matter how much you want to deny it.

You cannot disprove the existence of God, especially by my definition. And therefore, you cannot "win" this argument. At best, we can disagree and hopefully respect each others' beliefs in a polite and civil manner.
�� A scientific theory is a hypothisis backed up by a collection of data. Its a fact beyond reasonable doubt.
Science is not a religon, nothing is worshiped.

I don't need to disprove it, you need to do the oppisite.
But indeed.
Spooky_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 02:39 AM   #62
Zika
Banned

Quote:
There are a lot of opinionated self-important assholes who say otherwise.

At best, we can disagree and hopefully respect each others' beliefs in a polite and civil manner.
It seems these two statements are in direct conflict with one another.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 04:36 AM   #63
knives
Banned

Name: Kaylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
Careful, or she'll accuse you of something and make stupid comments about your posts lol, of course making herself look foolish in the process.

btw, this is one philosophical question I don't find interesting. Belief in a higher power, in most religions, is about faith, which has nothing to do with proof.
When obvious trolls are trolling itís obvious

But I agree with you - itís a philosophical issue, a matter of faith that cannot be proven or disproven - Spooky Eli wasnt genuinely hoping for someone to provide him with proof so he could accept and follow a God, it was just to troll, to make people angry or defensive

Itís very rude
knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 04:40 AM   #64
knives
Banned

Quote:
At the risk of feeding what appears to be (or has become) a troll thread:

I'm going to ask you, what do you think "God" is? The common concept of some supernatural old, white, male, judgmental, bearded asshole wearing a toga? Or perhaps, could God be something else entirely? In the movie "The Ten Commandments" Moses asks God what his name is. And God replies... "I am That AM. Tell them, I AM hath sent you". This is actually very close to my Roman Catholic concept of God. Nevermind the 2,000 years of canon and tradition. That's all church. Not God.

I believe that God is everything. Now, could that be scientifically possible? How would it be? How could God be in everything, and have made everything seen and unseen? Well, there's a simple answer. Instead of looking at God as something infinitely large, look at God as something infinitely small, yet still present. Smaller than atoms. Smaller than sub-atomic particles. Smaller even than whatever they're made of. At the very core of everything that exists in the known universe, there is one thing and no one can see, but every scientist admits is there. The call it "the strong atomic force" for lack of a better name. No one knows exactly what it is. Or more importantly, WHY it is. It just...is. Or using the proper pronoun, AM. You can call it "the strong atomic force" if you like. I prefer the word GOD.

I agree thatís how I feel
You sound like youíre in Colorado so are probably more away from cities like me, if youíve had much to do with First Nations people then itís quickly apparent they have a spiritual connection to the land and nature and animals and so on that canít be explained but itís real, some of us have those connections

Itís like people didnít believe a lot of things to do with astronomy and physics, but they were still real
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:43 AM   #65
Spooky_Eli
Banned

Name: Spooky Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knives View Post
When obvious trolls are trolling it’s obvious

But I agree with you - it’s a philosophical issue, a matter of faith that cannot be proven or disproven - Spooky Eli wasnt genuinely hoping for someone to provide him with proof so he could accept and follow a God, it was just to troll, to make people angry or defensive

It’s very rude
How dare you assume what I was hoping for? Clearly you're unfamiler with the countless other atheists who think that matters of faith can be proven. I hold that same view. I asked this question, as unakwardly as I could, with the intention of holding peaceful debate. You wanna know what's rude? Derailing ah entire thread, about something the op genuinly cares about, just for shits n giggles.

And I do hope the party responsable had their fair mesure of shit.

*When obvious trolls are trolling it’s obvious* its like they say, out of the mouths of babes.
Spooky_Eli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 04:47 PM   #66
Zika
Banned

Quote:
When obvious trolls are trolling itís obvious

But I agree with you - itís a philosophical issue, a matter of faith that cannot be proven or disproven - Spooky Eli wasnt genuinely hoping for someone to provide him with proof so he could accept and follow a God, it was just to troll, to make people angry or defensive

Itís very rude
I saw this as an attempt by Spooky Eli to engage in an intelligent, respectful debate about an issue which many people feel strongly about.

Those who are open-minded, no matter how strongly they feel one way or the other, are able to do so. Those who aren't, find these kinds of exercises a form or trolling, done to make people angry or defensive.
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:36 PM   #67
knives
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I saw this as an attempt by Spooky Eli to engage in an intelligent, respectful debate about an issue which many people feel strongly about.

Those who are open-minded, no matter how strongly they feel one way or the other, are able to do so. Those who aren't, find these kinds of exercises a form or trolling, done to make people angry or defensive.
I dunno, one of his early comments was to say ďfaith is bull, nothing moreĒ and rarely does an atheist want a pleasant debate about something they refuse to be convinced of or think intelligent people can have or believe in

Itís insulting to a great many people
Old May 27th, 2020, 05:40 PM   #68
Zika
Banned

Quote:
I dunno, one of his early comments was to say ďfaith is bull, nothing moreĒ and rarely does an atheist want a pleasant debate about something they refuse to be convinced of or think intelligent people can have or believe in

Itís insulting to a great many people
Yes, a great many snowflakes in the world.

The good news is, anyone who finds the discussion insulting, doesn't have to participate in it.
Old May 27th, 2020, 06:32 PM   #69
logan2002
Nice Poster

Name: logan

God did not make man
Man made gods
logan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:01 PM   #70
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_Eli View Post
Dude, you've just used science to disproove spirituality. Congratulations, I think.
Can't be. I studying Arts and Design. So there's no way I could even accidentally or not even to an certain extent explain stuff in a scientific way.

So it must be you who got me wrong.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:38 PM   #71
Ben7
Member++

Quote:
More or less, in some way or another. For instance, if i look at my couch, i know, through observation, what it is, but knolage of how it is can only be derived from the scientific method. Not that it needs to, because it is an unextrodinary thing and the empirical evedence of my senses, is enough evidence.
Science is the only illusion against the obvious subjectivity of the universe, if you will.
I'm no longer sure that I understand the point you're trying to make here with your last response.

In any case, I'll just leave you with what I noted in my first response in this thread, which is that science is limited in that you can only observe/study natural phenomena or events. However, any higher power (i.e. God) is a supernatural being and thus science is inherently incapable of either proving or disproving its existence (no matter how badly you may be hoping for such proof or refutation to come from science). So if you are waiting for science to "prove" the existence of God then you'll be sorely disappointed.
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2020, 11:27 PM   #72
HeyCameron
Awesome Poster

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

The furthest you can get is proving or disproving certain claims about a higher power (e.g. if a higher power exists, then humans were created in their present form and did not evolve from earlier hominids). Of course not everyone believes such an implication, but a many do believe the existence of God hinges on such implications, and an implication like that can be evaluated with physical evidence. (Because you're making a claim about the physical world to support a metaphysical claim).

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel".

Last edited by HeyCameron; May 27th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 01:11 AM   #73
CarrieOC

Name: Carrie

I believe in God but that is through faith. I dont want to prove to people because its utterly your right to choose not to believe.
Not saying i believe every word in the bible but I believe in God.

God and science can get along. I believe in evolution but why could that not have started with God.
CarrieOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 12:59 AM   #74
Oskarr-Padawan-2005
Awesome Poster

Name: Oscar

Quote:
Right, the idea is simple, we start with the idea that God, does not exist. This is the idea that the Atheist (I) hold.
What I would like to do is ask people who belive in a God, to, in a word, attempt to change my mind. Please🙃

And if you convince me you'll win a no-prize, so
I dont try ro convince anyone that God exists, that's something inside of you
Oskarr-Padawan-2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2020, 03:38 PM   #75
Emerald Dream
Forever Green

Emerald Dream's Forum Picture

Name: Allison

You're probably not going to get an answer, because people are going to be set in their beliefs....one way or another.

Maybe a better question be to ask is - can God coexist with science?

One is fact, that's able to be proven, and the other is idk...hoping and believing?
Emerald Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2020, 08:50 PM   #76
Bostonian

Name: Jack

Well, as I'm not an evangilist, I don't attempt to convince others.

I can't prove God. I believe in God because of my faith.

One of Marriam-Webster's definition of faith describes it as: "firm belief in something for which there is no proof"

I finally hit 100 posts! Feel free to shoot me a DM!
Bostonian is offline   Reply With Quote