Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old March 11th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
AlessandroXVIII

Name: Joe
Default Ask Questions

The Q&A Session is done.

“This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.” -St. Augustine

Last edited by AlessandroXVIII; March 13th, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: the thread was not going as originally planned.
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #2
Mortal Coil
Queen of Spam

Mortal Coil's Forum Picture

Name: Ellen
Default Re: Ask Questions

What does the Catholic Church say about genetic modification, e.g. to prolong human life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcharkteeth View Post
Omg I love bread
So dam tasty
Do you know what happens to people who go to the seventh circle of hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Cobain
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonite View Post
when two old people have sex, they become dust, which is naturally dry.
Old March 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Neptune
Nice Poster

Neptune's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

Thanks for the chance to ask questions to a catholic (teenager one at that!) I'm Pentecostal, but, I don't really practice it. It's pretty much a family thing, you ''follow'' it or your in trouble. Basically, don't denounce it. Eventually, I'll have to study about it.

Question 1: Do you have to pray to mary before you pray to God?
Question 2: Do Catholics support gay marriage?
Question 3: Are you sexually active or are you waiting for marriage?
Question 4: If you are sexually active, do you use condoms?

I'm Nikolas, call me Nick though. Wanna talk? Leave a message on my profile or you can private message me.

Formerly known as: HeyItsNick
Old March 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
AlessandroXVIII

Default Ask Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil.angel View Post
What does the Catholic Church say about genetic modification, e.g. to prolong human life?
The Church's stance on that is that one should not mess with the human DNA, since it is a creation of God. Plus, we will all die sooner or later, and no matter how long we try to prolong our lives, we will still have to meet our Maker. It is different though, from surgery to save someone's life. That is acceptable. We are not big fans of eugenics and such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsNick View Post
Thanks for the chance to ask questions to a catholic (teenager one at that!) I'm Pentecostal, but, I don't really practice it. It's pretty much a family thing, you ''follow'' it or your in trouble. Basically, don't denounce it. Eventually, I'll have to study about it.

Question 1: Do you have to pray to mary before you pray to God?
Question 2: Do Catholics support gay marriage?
Question 3: Are you sexually active or are you waiting for marriage?
Question 4: If you are sexually active, do you use condoms?
1: Ah yes, one of the most interesting misconceptions about us Catholics. To put it simply, no, we do not pray to Mary before we pray to God. We do NOT worship Mary for she isn't God. We venerate her, veneration meaning honor. But worship is exclusively for God the Father†, Son†, and Holy Ghost†. We have a special word that means veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary, "hyperdulia". When we pray to Mary, or to any other saint, we do not believe that they themselves do the miracles. We merely ask them to intercede on our behalf, similar to asking a friend or a relative to pray for you. And there are Biblical proofs of this practice (sorry no particular references come into mind right now).
2:Well, I'm sure you might be hearing alot about us in the news about this issue. To put it simply, no. We condemn this idea of gay "marriage." We Catholics believe that marriage is a sacred institution, in fact a Sacrament in the Catholic Church, and it is only between one man and one woman. It says so in the Bible. And the purpose of marriage is procreation, and homosexuals can't create children, can they? Even nature says two people of the same sex being together is unnatural. NOW, after reading that I would sound anti-gay, but no, please do not take me or my Church as such. We love all people, of all races, creeds, and sexual tendencies. We view homosexual acts as a sin, but homosexual tendencies as spiritual burdens. We all have our crosses to bear. As St. Augustine put it so well, "love the sinner, hate the sin."
3:No, I am not. I am waiting for marriage, or might not even have sex at all since the priesthood is a possibility for me. Sex is a sacred act in the Church, showing that unity between husband and wife (no pun intended), and is not condemned, unless outside of marriage.
4:If I was sexually active, which I am not, I wouldn't use condoms. But that's just me being a stubborn Catholic

Please don't double post, use the multi-quote or edit buttons to add something. ~TheMatrix

“This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections.” -St. Augustine

Last edited by TheMatrix; March 11th, 2012 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Double posts merged
Old March 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Electra Heart
Awesome Poster

Electra Heart's Forum Picture

Name: Electra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotStandUp View Post
You don't represent all Catholics, so please stop saying "we Catholics don't this, we that."
That is very true. I'm Roman Catholic, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything you say.
Old March 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
Jess

Name: Jessica

Quote:
It says so in the Bible. And the purpose of marriage is procreation, and homosexuals can't create children, can they?
nor can couples that can't have children or don't want any. what are your thoughts on people like that?

In other words, what do you like of people that don't want children whatsoever (like me)?
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

Name: Mrs. Sir

So acts between a man and a man,or a woman and a woman are sins? Please explain to me that if "god" says it is against nature to be homosexual that there are over 100 species of homosexual animals.
Old March 11th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #8
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
You don't represent all Catholics, so please stop saying "we Catholics don't this, we that."
I'm sorry if that was misleading, but I am only taking what the Church teaches, plus there is actual meaning when I use "we." I do not represent individual Catholics who, of course, have differing opinions on teachings. What I do represent is the teachings of the Church, and what she teaches. You think in terms of individual Catholics, I think of all aspects of the Church, including her members. I did not in any way say that you had to agree on this, I was merely telling what the Church teaches on these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
That is very true. I'm Roman Catholic, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything you say.
Right, that is not what I meant when I referred to the Church as we. I was stating what the Church teaches on these matters, which happens to also be my point of view. Whether you agree with the Church's teachings or not, that is for you to decide. When I say "we," it carries theological meaning in Catholicism, because, "we are many parts, but one Body in Christ." That is why I say "we"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
nor can couples that can't have children or don't want any. what are your thoughts on people like that?

In other words, what do you like of people that don't want children whatsoever (like me)?
I am not here to judge you, I have no authority nor right to do so. The purpose of the union of a man or woman is to procreate. When there are circumstances where the couple cannot conceive children, they can adopt. But in concept, they are naturally "made for each other", as in made to reproduce with both man and woman. Two men together and two women together cannot reproduce sexually, so it is incompatible with natural law. Couples who do not consummate their marriage live an empty/useless marriage. I hope that answers your questions. BTW, this may be random, but I like your profile picture

Quote:
Also, in the Catholic wedding vows:

Why is there no mention of promising to procreate if the supposed purpose of marriage is to procreate?
It is not said in the vows of marriage, but when the couple sign the contract of marriage at a Catholic church, part of the contract is that they promise to consummate the marriage, or try (for those who cannot conceive a child) or the marriage is invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Droppings View Post
So acts between a man and a man,or a woman and a woman are sins? Please explain to me that if "god" says it is against nature to be homosexual that there are over 100 species of homosexual animals.
The behavior is there, as in homosexual behavior, but still in accordance with natural law, they cannot reproduce sexually.

Edit(Thor): Please don't post consecutively. Use the 'multi-quote' feature of this site next time you want to quote multiple people.

Last edited by Commander Thor; March 12th, 2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: 5 consecutive posts merged.
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessandroXVIII View Post
The behavior is there, as in homosexual behavior, but still in accordance with natural law, they cannot reproduce sexually.
And that is a sin because...
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #10
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
And that is a sin because...
We, as in the Church and I do not believe that homosexual tendencies themselves are sinful, but it is when one acts upon it, as in commits homosexual acts, that is when it becomes a sin. Just like in temptation. When someone is tempted to do something bad, it is not necessarily a sin, it is when one commits this act after giving into temptation it becomes a sin. I hope that answers your question friend.

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #11
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

Quote:
We, as in the Church and I do not believe that homosexual tendencies themselves are sinful, but it is when one acts upon it, as in commits homosexual acts, that is when it becomes a sin. Just like in temptation. When someone is tempted to do something bad, it is not necessarily a sin, it is when one commits this act after giving into temptation it becomes a sin. I hope that answers your question friend.
I'm an atheist, and I'm trying to see things from a Christian perspective, but it's not working out. Sorry friend
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #12
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
I'm an atheist, and I'm trying to see things from a Christian perspective, but it's not working out. Sorry friend
I know it's difficult, just as it is difficult for me to understand issues from an atheist's perspective. This is what the Catholic Church tries to promote. We try to promote dialogue between peoples of all faiths, and nonbelievers. There is no harm in questioning the teachings of the Church, it is important that one knows why he believes in such things. What I don't like is when people tell me I'm wrong, or what I believe is stupid, and I don't like it when people do that to other people. People have a misconception that we Catholics are the most narrow-minded people in the world, but it was us who founded the science of genetics, the concept of the scientific method, and scientific theory (did you know that a Catholic priest came up with the Big Bang Theory?) I have an atheist friend, and he's not bad at all (he can be annoying sometimes though haha). So I hope there aren't any hard feelings between us and that more dialogue can be fostered between believers and nonbelievers.

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

Quote:
I know it's difficult, just as it is difficult for me to understand issues from an atheist's perspective. This is what the Catholic Church tries to promote. We try to promote dialogue between peoples of all faiths, and nonbelievers. There is no harm in questioning the teachings of the Church, it is important that one knows why he believes in such things. What I don't like is when people tell me I'm wrong, or what I believe is stupid, and I don't like it when people do that to other people. People have a misconception that we Catholics are the most narrow-minded people in the world, but it was us who founded the science of genetics, the concept of the scientific method, and scientific theory (did you know that a Catholic priest came up with the Big Bang Theory?) I have an atheist friend, and he's not bad at all (he can be annoying sometimes though haha). So I hope there aren't any hard feelings between us and that more dialogue can be fostered between believers and nonbelievers.
I'm just going to return to the section where you say that a Christian Preist came up with the big bang theory. I believe that it was Albert Einsteins theory. I give credit to those who deserve
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:27 AM   #14
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
I'm just going to return to the section where you say that a Christian Preist came up with the big bang theory. I believe that it was Albert Einsteins theory. I give credit to those who deserve
Oh, well then both of them came up with it, and even then Einstein was a devout Jew.

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

Quote:
Oh, well then both of them came up with it, and even then Einstein was a devout Jew.
Both of them? I don't know if Christians are allowed to hear cursing so I'll abbreviate it, but WTF?!
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #16
kenoloor
hookworm

kenoloor's Forum Picture

Quote:
Both of them? I don't know if Christians are allowed to hear cursing so I'll abbreviate it, but WTF?!
Einstein: "so the other day I had this theory about the beginning if the universe. Everything was in this little thing and then it went BANG and everything started expanding."
Catholic guy: "No way, same here!"

Parables and Parasites
Old March 12th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

This is officially my favorite thread.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #18
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flames View Post
Einstein: "so the other day I had this theory about the beginning if the universe. Everything was in this little thing and then it went BANG and everything started expanding."
Catholic guy: "No way, same here!"
Alright then, let me answer this as much as I can, since a Q&A session turned into a debate. Fr. Georges Lemaitre, a Belgian priest, is credited to be the father of the Big Bang Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre)

No, Einstein was not the only one responsible for the Theory, so he was one of the people responsible for it.

For the one who argues that I know all of this, I don't. I take my stance based on what the Catechism of the Catholic Church and Canon Law say. And for your information, I do have been studying the Catechism since the 2nd grade, and Canon Law since the 9th grade. So your ad hominem argument is invalid, sir.

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Dragon_Droppings
Banned

A: One could say it began with Einsteins general theory of relativity. It involves some very complicated mathematics. A possible solution to the equations of this theory is an expanding universe. A catholic priest named Lemaitre. He calculated backwards and came up with the idea of "a big bang". Later on an astronomer (Hubble) observed that the galaxies were moving away (Universe expanding). Several other consequences of Big bang was worked out by various scientists (Background microwave radiation, distribution of atoms), and those have later been verified by observations.

So a Preist was mentioned with coming up with a name. Many rounds of applause to him.
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #20
AlessandroXVIII

Quote:
A: One could say it began with Einsteins general theory of relativity. It involves some very complicated mathematics. A possible solution to the equations of this theory is an expanding universe. A catholic priest named Lemaitre. He calculated backwards and came up with the idea of "a big bang". Later on an astronomer (Hubble) observed that the galaxies were moving away (Universe expanding). Several other consequences of Big bang was worked out by various scientists (Background microwave radiation, distribution of atoms), and those have later been verified by observations.

So a Preist was mentioned with coming up with a name. Many rounds of applause to him.
at this point you are just arguing against me and my beliefs, and belittling those who have contributed to science. PM me if you want to talk more about this, because this is getting too long and the mods aren't too happy with that.
Oh, and by the way, Fr. Lemaitre did more than that. If you actually read on, you would've found out that he actually came up with a solution to Einstein's field equations, calculated a numeric value of the Hubble Constant and one of the inventors of the Fast fourier transform algorithm.

Last edited by AlessandroXVIII; March 12th, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Closed Thread