Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM   #1
growingjudy
Junior Member+

Name: JudyAdams
Default I am looking to find an atheist!

An atheist is someone that reveiwed all the proofs that there is a God and disproved them. Otherwise you might be an agnostic. Come on atheists I want to hear how you figure you are sure you are one.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Default Re: I am looking to find an atheist!

There's also mono- and polyatheism and agnosticism. So to be an atheist, one does not need to review every single belief there is. Also, what if some guy in his basement makes some belief and gets 15 followers. Technically then, I wouldn't have reviewed his belief because I wouldn't know it even exists, so then I may not be an atheist?

You won't necessarily be an agnostic because the philosophy for atheism and agnosticism is different.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Oblivion
Retired Mod

An atheist is one who does not believe in any god because they believe there is no proof of one. They don't necessarily have to prove every religion wrong, just basically believe in evolution, the big bang, etc.

Agnosticism is just the thought that there might not be a god. It's possible to be a Christian agnostic, or an atheist agnostic or any other religious agnostic.

I am agnostic atheist for instance, because i thoroughly believe that there is only a very minute chance that any god exists. I firmly believe in the science theories regarding how we got here, but I realize there is a possibility we are wrong, thus making me agnostic whilst an atheist.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Sage
Banned

Name: Sage

Isn't this really nothing more than semantics?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM   #5
growingjudy
Junior Member+

How can they beleve there is no proof of God if they didn't go through the proofs. Just beleiving in a big bang without looking into anything is not an atheist
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #6
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingjudy View Post
How can they beleve there is no proof of God if they didn't go through the proofs. Just beleiving in a big bang without looking into anything is not an atheist
For monoatheism, the atheist usually would have reviewed the belief and concluded that they disbelieve. However, for polyatheism, you generally find that there are specific reasons for disbelieving the beliefs that were examined and some global reasons for all theistic beliefs.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:51 AM   #7
growingjudy
Junior Member+

To tell you the truth I don't know what you are talking about. I'm a little kid, and you are a wise proffesor. I am just looking for truth and life and interesting things about how things work. I am fasinated how I grow and how everything else grows. I see a God.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by growingjudy View Post
To tell you the truth I don't know what you are talking about. I'm a little kid, and you are a wise proffesor. I am just looking for truth and life and interesting things about how things work. I am fasinated how I grow and how everything else grows. I see a God.
Monoatheism is the disbelief of a specific theistic belief, god or goddess. So, this could be disbelieving in Christianity. Polyatheism is the disbelief in all theistic beliefs, gods and goddesses. When you flip through a dictionary, usually the definition that is given is for polyatheism, not monoatheism.

For polyatheism, it is not required for the polyatheist to examine every single belief in order to disbelieve it. They may have reviewed a few, and for the remaining ones, they give more general reasons for why they disbelieve in those.

It's great that you're interested in how things work, however, believing in a God will not get you those explanations. Science explains how things work. You can believe in god and still use science, that is perfectly fine. However, you'll run into a problem when you use your god to try to examine science and vice-versa.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:37 PM   #9
ThatCanadianGuy
Awesome Poster

ThatCanadianGuy's Forum Picture

Name: James

It isn't up to atheists to "prove" god doesn't exist. Until you can put forth any valid evidence or arguments to support the belief, we don't have it. Simple as that. Atheism says nothing about the big bang, evolution, etc. Atheism is just a stance on the "god question"

Believe in god? No. *BAM* that's an atheist.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

I agree. I think that you always need to prove the existance of something before the need to disprove it. Consequentely, since there's no real evidence for the exitsace of God, we should assume that there's no such thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #11
antimonic
Banned

In all honesty, there is not certain answer as to whether he exists or not. There is always a counter argument to whether he exists or not, for example:

Where did those first/ that original substance, that produced the big bang eventually, come from? some would say God provided it.

New research indicated that antimatter formed the original activation energy, so that anwered question one. but where did the antimatter come from? energy can not be produced from nothing, so what was it? again, some would argue god, though so far this evidence is non-falsifiable.

It all routes down to personal belief, if you believe in a God, then believe in a God, if not, then dont.

On a lighter note, there are attempts to disprove certain theories (being scientific here, no theory is proved, you merely provide refuting evidence for all other theories [Karl Popper, 1959]) relating to god, and some attempt to use mathematics to explain certain phenomena - such as the film PI.

I think pythagoras also said that if you believe in God, live your life believing and being a good person, when you die there are two options, he exists or he doesnt. If he does and you believed and where a good person, eternal bliss awaits. if he doesnt, then you share the same fate as everyone else.

Or you can live your life believing he doesnt exist and go and live a "devilish" life. Then when you die, same two possibilities, if he exists, you burn for all eternity, if he doesnt, than you dont.

So he concluded, surely its better to believe and play it safe? hehehe

http://www.artmusicdance.com/vaspi/proof.htm this is an interesting read, There is also the argument that for God to be Scientifically refuted, there woud have to be something manipulatable (such as the basis of the scientific method, to manipulate a quantifiable variable). Since no essence of God ca be quantifiable, can the notion be scientifically disproved? it is a problem of non-falsifiability (Like some freudian psychodynamic theories of psychology, cant be proved or disproved)

Geuss its therefore down to pure choice and opinion what you believe.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #12
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

So you're agnostic then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:48 AM   #13
antimonic
Banned

No, im saying "there is the argument." its impersonal, im contributing to the thread impersonally.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM   #14
ThatCanadianGuy
Awesome Poster

ThatCanadianGuy's Forum Picture

Name: James

Quote:
Originally Posted by antimonic View Post
1. Where did those first/ that original substance, that produced the big bang eventually, come from? some would say God provided it.

2. Or you can live your life believing he doesnt exist and go and live a "devilish" life. Then when you die, same two possibilities, if he exists, you burn for all eternity, if he doesnt, than you dont.

3. So he concluded, surely its better to believe and play it safe? hehehe

4. Guess its therefore down to pure choice and opinion what you believe.
1. Some could say, then what "provided" God? Infinite regression, then you posit magic. Not gonna cut it.

2. That's Pascal's Wager, made hundreds of years ago, and refuted since the time it was created.

3. No, its better to take the most rational stance on the issue based on evidence.

4. No, its not down to pure "choice". I can't "choose" to believe in fairies and pixies, since no matter how much I may FORCE myself to "choose" I still can't truly believe in something I know can't exist since it blatantly contradicts all known evidence on the issue. You should CONSTANTLY evaluate what you believe, and why. I make an effort to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things. God and religions happens to fall under false.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:00 AM   #15
antimonic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCanadianGuy View Post
1. Some could say, then what "provided" God? Infinite regression, then you posit magic. Not gonna cut it.
Thats the point im trying to make, that there are always going to be questions, and always going to be possibilites as to the answers. try READING my posts and not picking out certain things and being all high and mighty. I'm speaking hypothetically, not certainly.

Quote:
2. That's Pascal's Wager, made hundreds of years ago, and refuted since the time it was created.
so what if it was refuted? i didnt say it was the COMPLETE ABSOLUTE TRUTH IT MUST BE TRUE WE SHOULD ALL DO THIS, all i said was "this was said on the matter" because its related to the thread and serves some amusing relevance.

Quote:
4. No, its not down to pure "choice". I can't "choose" to believe in fairies and pixies, since no matter how much I may FORCE myself to "choose" I still can't truly believe in something I know can't exist since it blatantly contradicts all known evidence on the issue. You should CONSTANTLY evaluate what you believe, and why. I make an effort to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things. God and religions happens to fall under false.
You believe God and Religion to be false, but thats not exactly the global acceptance is it? if it was so easy to put religion and God down as bollocks than why do religion and the concept of God still exist? its more complicated than "no evidence therefore doesnt exist therefore all that stemmed from it is error carried forward" as you seem to claim

You dont Have to believe anything, there is no knife at your neck telling you to believe. People can choose what they believe or disbelieve for whatever reason, an individual can still believe something even if evidence is brought forward refuting it all, its their personal choice and opinion.

Some people believe because they choose to believe, they LIKE the idea that they are being watched over and that there is something to look forward to when they die. they LIKE believing in an almighty spiritual entity no matter what the religion. They LIKE believing in a God regardless of evidence put forward to refute or support. Just like you seem to LIKE not believing in God.

And by all means, if you want to believe in pixies and fairies because that makes you happy then go for it, if you dont want to because you think its ludacris and there is no evidence etc then thats your opinion and belief.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #16
Sage
Banned

Quote:
Or you can live your life believing he doesnt exist and go and live a "devilish" life. Then when you die, same two possibilities, if he exists, you burn for all eternity, if he doesnt, than you dont.
That doesn't take into account any religion aside from Christianity. What may be a sin in one religion may be just fine in another.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #17
antimonic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
That doesn't take into account any religion aside from Christianity. What may be a sin in one religion may be just fine in another.
So take it up with pascal? im just passing on what he said, not condoning it.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #18
Sage
Banned

Quote:
So take it up with pascal? im just passing on what he said, not condoning it.
I may as well add then that it's a waste of your own time to post an opinion on the debates forum, written entirely by someone else, whom you neither condone nor condemn.
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #19
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
Actually it seems to work well for a number of religions simultaneously.
For example: Christianity, Judaism and Islam all state that murder is wrong and they all view adultery and pre-marital sex as sinful.

EDIT
What's wrong with contributing while being impartial in a debate?

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *

Last edited by Sapphire; May 24th, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #20
antimonic
Banned

Quote:
I may as well add then that it's a waste of your own time to post an opinion on the debates forum, written entirely by someone else, whom you neither condone nor condemn.
Its not an opinion, its a suggestion It was relevant to the topic and is something i thought may interest the op, aswell as others. If thats a waste of time then ah well, a mod can delete that post (and all that follows for that matter).

I was unaware that the stating a view meant you had to either condone or oppose it and that there is no middle ground. Why dont you relax and stop being so black and white if your taking this to heart you should really take a chill pill and do something relaxing, like go swimming!
Closed Thread