Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

My blog, or the idea of it, is about life:

The wisdom that I have grasped,
The plights that I currently endure,
And the potential of the future.
Rate this Entry

Are Things Looking Up?

Posted July 9th, 2008 at 02:34 AM by Kiros

I'm not entirely sure of the answer to that question, but things seem to be changing.

I have acquired a career opportunity with a company called Vector - a cutlery marketing company. I've never imagined that I would ever be in this kind of a business, but I'm actually excited about this. Vector isn't a tele-marketing company, nor do the products sell in stores or on informercials. The company sends sales representatives out on predetermined appointments. This means that the potential customer is actually interested in the product and expects the representative to show up. That's something that I thought was cool about Vector.

On Monday, I had two interviews:

At 1PM, I showed up at Wal-Mart Distribution Center in Robert, 24 miles away, to continue my interview (previously interrupted by an end-date confusion). After I told David, the interviewer, that I would rather work in Receiving than Orderfilling, he told me to wait until they called me - none of the interview actually took place. I returned home, disappointed.

At 5:30PM, I found myself at the Vector Office in Covington, 32 miles away. This was actually surprising, because I had not filled out an application or anything. I simply got a letter in the mail, I called to find out more about it, and the receptionist asked me to come in for an interview. That's never happened that quickly - not to me, anyway. I arrived to see two other people waiting to be interviewed. We all had to fill out a short paper about us (less than 2 minutes of work), and then we waited. This recruiter called in Beaux for about 10 minutes, and then Alena for 10 minutes, and then me. It was basically like a prescreening - putting a name and a voice to a face. After that, we were all given a peice of paper to take notes with during his 1.5-hour-long lecture. He told us a great deal of information, but he mainly focused on the company, the values, the products, the perks, and the responsibilities. He was analyzing our responses, memory, and personality the whole time. After the lecturing, he called us in to his office in the same order as he did before. This time, each person stayed in his office for about 15 minutes, after which they left. Anxiety would be a poor description as to what I was feeling before I stepped into his office, but when he called me in, I felt calm and focused. He asked me a few questions and then told me what he thought about me. Apparently, he thinks that I would be a great asset to the company just based on my personality. He also mentioned that I was the only one that could maintain eye-contact with him for the whole duration of the lecture - even while I took many notes. With everything said and done, he congratulated me on being accepted.

I left the Vector Office at 7:55PM with great satisfaction.

Sidney, the recruiter, felt I should start sooner than the other new recruits from that week, so I'll be attending a 6 hour training seminar at the Vector Office for 3 days: Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We need to bring a notebook to take notes in. The 18 hours of note-taking is going to be brutal on my hands, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'll be having to manage my own schedule and appointments, so this will give me the opportunity to work after I drop my mother off for her work and I'll be able to finish up before I even have to worry about picking her up.

I know this sounds a tad too good to be true, however, I've never been a professional business kind of guy. I'm going to have great responsibility with this, and as an avid procrastinator, I know this will not be easy - it might not even be hard, it might be hell for me. But all in all, at least this gives me a chance to grow into a more professional, responsible person.

So, are things looking up? Maybe. Only time will tell.
Views 1418 Comments 4
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old Comment
    Whisper's Forum Picture
    Thats awesome Ben!!
  2. Old Comment
    Awesome!! I'm so glad things are looking up for you :daisy: Good luck with this!
  3. Old Comment
    Maverick's Forum Picture
    I got one of those letters, too. I never did go through with finding more about it because I know I don't have the personality to do marketing and talking to customers.

Good luck.
  4. Old Comment
    Underage_Thinker's Forum Picture
    My sister was considering working for i think the same company. But then she found out you had to pay $140 something to get the demo set and didn't want to invest that much into it. It's a pyramid scheme though, so if u get enough ppl you can (suppose) make serious $$.
    Posted July 12th, 2008 at 01:39 AM by Underage_Thinker Underage_Thinker is offline