Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 28th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy
Default Hmm..

I know i've posted in here before but I don't know.

I don't think I have OCD... but maybe I do. Just thought i'd get this straight here. I have a lot of people who think I do. My parents, some friends etc.

I've always been an obsessive person. The first thing i do when i get home is tidy my room, and there are certain ways things in my room have to be.

I have a thing about the dishwasher. The different size plates ALWAYS have to go in the right places.

My school work. I always have to be way ahead on my school work. Homework and stuff. I have to do it almost as soon as I get it. I don't do it because i'm scared of getting told off, or because i care about the work, I do it because I need the.. i don't know... obsession of it I suppose? I just need it to be done. I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

The same with my folders and things. I like to have something to do, and be obsessive about. I'll spend ages putting all my sheets in plastic wallets, and thena few weeks alter spend ages putting hole reinofrcers on all my sheets. I just like to have something to be obsessive and do... I guess. The other day I looked at one of my folders that was slightly out of order and ridiculous as it sounds it made me feel suicidal. Not suicidal as though I would act on it, but I had thoughts all the same.

I'm obsessive in other areas too, like my eating disorder obviously. My councellor said something about all my compulsions being about control. My compulsions being cutting, running away, eating disorders and tidying. He never said anything about obsessions though.

Does this sound like OCD? I'm really not sure because I know i'm very obsessive but :/

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: Hmm..

I've given you my opinion before. OCD actually is largely about control, that, or the fear that something will happen if you don't do these things. I experience both of these things. I'm not exactly a control freak, but I have this addiction to being able to control things, which occurs in all areas really. Whether it's the colouring in a drawing I'm doing, or insisting that I drive when I go somewhere with a friend, to not taking my meds just because I have that choice, or my other psychiatric issues. Fear is common as well. It could be specific, like if I don't check the stove is off three times, I might burn the house down. Or just that if things are not in a set condition, something could go wrong.

Maybe directly ask him about it? Or altogether get a different professional's opinion?

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Spook
Awesome Poster

Spook's Forum Picture

Name: Caitlin

Hmm...only some of what you described sounds like OCD. Like Rith said, OCD is about control, and you fear something bad will happen if you don't do certain things. I also experience these things. So...if this is how you feel, you may have a case of OCD.

Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:09 PM   #4
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

I am the same with control I guess. I sometimes don't take my heart meds just because... I can. It's not something I do often but after my overdose I didn't take any of my heart meds for a week. I guess I was maybe compensating for the lack of control over what had happened.

I'm like that about my straighteners and my heater. Every morning before I leave for school I have to go upstairs and make sure they are switched off, even though I know they are because i only just switched them off and I remember doing it, still I think i'm going to burn my house down and will panic about it all day if I haven't checked again. I never really though of this as OCD though, since if I left my straighteners or heater on I actually could burn my house down. Iygm?

It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 03:06 PM   #5
vampireonion

vampireonion's Forum Picture

Name: Jessica

I'd say you have an obsessive personality, but more than likely these are just small quirks. We all have rituals and things we like in a certain way. Most of us have the same worries, too. Checking to makes sure appliances are shut of is an extremely common things, and most of us don't have OCD. There's no definite line between quirks and obsessions, but if it isn't interrupting your life or troubling you or others, you're fine.
vampireonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Thanks for your reply