Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Default Pathological liar?

I always take things... Simple things about me and exaggerate them or even sometimes outright lie. Sometimes it's to make myself more interesting. Sometimes it is to get my way or just defend myself. I also have a bad memory so I'll say things happened and I don't really know and I'll get hugely upset and offended if someone questions it.

Anything here on VT- my cutting, social anxiety, depression, etc- are all the truth. I can tell the truth easily to people I trust or people who I know won't judge me but places like school, I'll just start making things up.
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: Pathological liar?

I'm actually the same way. The things that can come out of my mouth, most often it's around acquaintances or friends, no one super close, are quite strange. I never lie about anything big, like you said, it's just conversational things that automatically come out of my mouth without even a thought about it. Like, I've told stories to people about a dream I had that I really didn't have, but it's like a conversation piece. No clue why.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

I think everyone has an element of this; although I think it's something people gradually grow out of. I do it a lot less than I did when I was younger.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Ali_Cat

Ali_Cat's Forum Picture

Name: Ali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
I think everyone has an element of this; although I think it's something people gradually grow out of. I do it a lot less than I did when I was younger.
I agree with this.

I use to lie a ton. And not just about small things. Huge things, and often, things that were technically impossible. Granted, at the same time I was very young and still haden`t been diagnosed. But anyhow, I do believe many people lie to make themselves 'look' better. After all, what is one little lie going to do? Like the above poster said, many people grow out of it.

I don`t think your a pathological liar, but it seems as though your lying upsets you? I know it did me. I woulden`t even realize that I was lying in the process of doing so, but when I would take note of it afterwards, I often felt like, well, like crap. Its not only untill you actually start trying to NOT lie, that you realize you`ve done it so much. If it really bothers you, try to make it an effort to stop. Just start small. Its when the saying 'think of what you`re going to say, before you say it' really comes into play. Even if you can catch yourself from one little lie, its a huge step in the right direction.

Ex: A friend asks you what you ate for lunch. You really had a PB&J, but you tell them you had subway, or spaghetti. Catching yourself, or even better, realizing it before you say it, in something this simple is really good. You`ll get the satisfaction of knowing you DIDN'T lie, and it should motivate you to continue on from there.

Hope I`ve helped =]
If you need to talk more, I`m here.

"Has anyone ever been far even as decided to want to do look more like?"
Old February 5th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Brayden

Name: Brayden

Just a quick shout out to the OP, I love your post. "I'm a pathological liar. Everything I've told you is the truth." Deeee-lightful.

We all exaggerate and lie a bit. This isn't a big deal. If you find yourself unable to tell the truth about anything ever, because if you're honest something abstractedly 'bad' will happen, then perhaps there we have problem. But if your lies are in the "Ooohh, I'd like a bit of attention" or they're minor and of the "I did it with some sexy lad on the beach last summer. His tongue was pierced"-variety, I'd say there isn't really anything abnormal about your behaviour.

We all want ourselves to be viewed in some way, and that way doesn't always mesh up with how we actually 'are'. So we exaggerate and stretch the truth, lie a bit, so as to put off the persona we want people to see. It's the most normal thing in the world, especially for teenagers who aren't exactly sure who they are or who they want to be yet. It's a harmless method of testing the waters and seeing what you like, as long as you or any you're talking to isn't getting hurt in the process.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #6
HeroesAndCons
Awesome Poster

HeroesAndCons's Forum Picture

Name: Heather

Same here
in vt ppl dont judge u so i freely say what i am and who i am

but w other ppl i exaggerate
Old February 27th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Apollo.
Awesome Poster

I think the best way to live life is if they don't like me for who I am, fuck them. I'm not going to lie to impress anyone
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #8
IDon'tLikeUsernames
Junior Member+

God, this hits close to home. I never thought I'd find a story so similar to mine, except I don't have a single friend I can say I told the truth to. I feel like an awful person, and now I think I have a social anxiety disorder because of it. Don't know how to deal with it though.

I'm not anything

"Take on me,
Take me home,
I'll be gone,
In a day or two"

In the Lost Astoria with Pete and Patrick (If you don't know what this means, talk to me more often)
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #9
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Can a mod please lock this thread? It's getting old and I've gotten the answers I wanted. Thanks.
Old May 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #10
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immer Leiden View Post
Can a mod please lock this thread? It's getting old and I've gotten the answers I wanted. Thanks.
Will do.
Closed Thread