Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Default Social Anxiety Disorder

Anyone else been diagnosed with this? I've always known I've had it since I was a kid but I never got the panic attacks I do now. I've been put on Prozac to help with my mood and calm me down a bit but for those of you who have this...

What have you done to help cope/deal with it?

Personally, I've tried to just get out of the house. But sometimes it is definitely too much. I have been taught several energy work techniques but a lot of them are highly noticeable and obviously with SAnD, I don't want to stand out or make anyone think I'm strange.

I know therapy helps but I'm looking for more tips when I'm actually out in a social environment.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith
Default Re: Social Anxiety Disorder

I was diagnosed with it a bit ago when I was diagnosed with OCD. The psychiatrist who did so whoever did nothing at all about it, and went on treating my bipolar disorder. So I've never been on anxiety meds.

I'd like to say that getting out and being around people is what you should do, but when it gets to a certain point you really can't do that anymore. It gets worse and worse, to the point where you become this hermit and you can't handle even going to the grocery store. It's why I don't live on campus, I have brief classes I attend then I'm straight home.

My last episode was last summer when Jay took me out bowling. I completely freaked out. We spent the rest of the time playing laser tag in that cool room. No people there, and it was dark. Perfect place for me

When I do have to go out to places like that though, it's all about convincing myself that they aren't looking at me, and they don't give a damn about me. My main problem is that every stare, every laugh, every whisper... I believe is about me. It gets to the point where I completely freak out because of it. It sucked when I was still in public school, especially when I was in the cafeteria.

Truth is, I know that they aren't laughing at me. I know they aren't looking at me. But when I get in that situation, I can't help myself.

Also, distracting myself is good. Like, while I was visiting my family for Christmas, I had Jay come with me on my walks down town. For the most part, I was so busy talking to him and goofing off that I paid very little attention to how many cars are around that area. I still tensed up when we passed someone on the street, but I didn't notice the cars too much. I usually do worry about drivers staring at me too :/

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Jenna.
Nice Poster

Jenna.'s Forum Picture

Name: Jenna

I haven't officially been diagnosed, but I am almost 100% sure I have it. I don't enjoy being around big groups of people, I'm reserved and quiet unless I'm completely comfortable around someone, I hate doing anything to draw any sort of attention to myself and I would much rather hang out alone or with a couple other people then in a group.
Honestly I can't give a lot of advice because at times I let it control me. :/ For example...public speaking. I will go to any length to avoid speaking in front of people, even if it means failing an assignment in school.
I try to push myself in other aspects though, I'll kind of set goals in my head. Like, I'll say "today I'm going to strike up a conversation with someone I don't know as well" to try and help myself get over my fear of interacting with new people.
That has helped me quite a bit in the past few years, I'm much more outgoing than I was even two years ago.
Jenna. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
RAWWR
Nice Poster

Name: Charlie

I haven't actually been officially diagnosed, but me and my therapist are pretty sure I have it. I really hate crowds and struggle with going anywhere, groups of more than about 3 people scare the hell out of me.

If you ever Need advice, or even just a chat, feel free to PM or VM me
RAWWR is offline   Reply With Quote