Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Ambrosia
Awesome Poster

Ambrosia's Forum Picture

Name: Lexi
Default OCD or badly superstitious?

This is not me asking if this is OCD because I'm sure none of you are registered doctors who ca honestly diagnos someone via internet but I do want some opinions.

COULD it be counted as OCD (if a doctor were to exam the behavior) when a person finds themselves doing the exact same thing in order to prevent bad things from happening? For example, using the exact same body wash every night in fear that not doing so will cause something very bad to happen the next day. Not wearing certain items because the person fears touching them will result in something bad happening. Having to strongly touch something that has been stared at or has had a sound made on it in fear of something bad happening...

Now all of these can be related to very very strong superstition. I'm not sure. I just tell people I'm horribly superstitious and get on with my day. It disrupts a lot of my life because I find myself unable to go on unless I keep to the routine I set up to keep everything from going wrong. I lable it as such because I feel that if I do everything that certain way then things will get better.

Just give me feedback.

-Retired Global Moderator-
Ambrosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy
Default Re: OCD or badly superstitious?

Obsessive compulsive disorder includes two things- Obsessions or compulsions.
An obsession is an irrational thought that does not just dissappear. Such as the thought that something bad will happen if you don't do a certain thing.
A compulsion is what you must do in order to keep those thoughts away, such as used the same bodywash etc.
Of course we can't diagnose you have you have said but yeah, it does sound like it could be a problem.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3
Kiko

Kiko's Forum Picture

Name: Kori

I agree with Kathy.

You also mentioned that it disrupts your everyday life which is usually a sign of a mental disorder. I would definitely go see a doctor

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #4
Ambrosia
Awesome Poster

Ambrosia's Forum Picture

Weird. I still prefer to claim I'm way over-the-top superstitious. Claiming a fear of OCD would bring my mother to figurativly beat me with the "No one in this household has any sort of sickness!" stick. It's been a problem of mine for quite some time only originally it was just that I absolutely HAD to touch something that I've looked at for more than a second. If I would walk away without doing so it would eat at me and I would end up having to run back and do so. I'm a bit better about it now, though.
These days my bathroom is littered in half-used bottles of body wash that I can not use because if I don't use the specific one then the next day will go completely wrong. Whats worse is the stupid body wash I do use isn't even a good brand...Uhg.
FML much? lol.

Thanks btw.

Old December 28th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
Kiko

Kiko's Forum Picture

Name: Kori

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLikeWinter View Post
Weird. I still prefer to claim I'm way over-the-top superstitious. Claiming a fear of OCD would bring my mother to figurativly beat me with the "No one in this household has any sort of sickness!" stick. It's been a problem of mine for quite some time only originally it was just that I absolutely HAD to touch something that I've looked at for more than a second. If I would walk away without doing so it would eat at me and I would end up having to run back and do so. I'm a bit better about it now, though.
These days my bathroom is littered in half-used bottles of body wash that I can not use because if I don't use the specific one then the next day will go completely wrong. Whats worse is the stupid body wash I do use isn't even a good brand...Uhg.
FML much? lol.

Thanks btw.
Definitely an FML A lot of parents will put away the stick if you simply give them time. Tell your mom what you've told us and that it's interfering with your daily life and you'd like to see a doctor. She may deny it at first, but eventually most parents come around after they've had some time for it to really sink in.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Ambrosia
Awesome Poster

Ambrosia's Forum Picture

My mother and fathers siblings all seem to have at least one type of mental illness each. OCD is a common symptom in my fathers side and very very bad addiction problems are on both sides. The problem is that these problems have caused all their siblings to pretty much not be allowed in our lives (Because they are some screwed up people) so I'm pretty sure that's why my mom refuses to believe anything could be wrong with me. I fear that Self-Harm may be part of whatever the problem is because it goes along the thought process of "I have to do this to keep this from happening" often times.

I've seen how my mother reacts to anyone being mentally sick. It's not pretty and it's the reason why I fear ever letting her know my fears of anything along those lines. I know exactly what she would tell me, "It's just hormones" or "Your just going through a phase(Note that this would be one hell of a long phase-all my life)" or "You think I have the money to afford to take you to a doctor to tell you your just overreacting?"

Yeaah. I can deal with it alone. =P

Old January 6th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #7
Ultima

I'd say obsession but you should probably see someone about it.
Ultima is offline   Reply With Quote