survivor
Member+

survivor's Forum Picture

Name: Jess
Default Re: Understanding Autism

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Narwhal View Post
Thanks CharlieGirl for raising awerness of the subject

I have mild Aspergers myself, and while most of the symptoms are not as bad as they once were, I still have problems with communication and I still have major OCD-like symptoms and I still have to follow my regular patterns.

Due to my condition I used to struggle with my self confidence for a while.
However, I soon realised something.

I have a piece of advice for anyone suffering with autism or any other simerlar condition:

Our conditions may make us different, but they help make us who we are. People may think of us being different but in reality we are all different. Our conditions may make us unique, but being unique makes us normal.

I hope this advice helps
I also have autism. I am an autistic savant with aspergers syndrome. My condition was severe as a young child but I have learned to cope. My autism has made me who I am. I am a savant; even my math teacher is surprised my the math I can do in my head. I could multiply polynomials in third-grade. I'm on a path to a scholarship. Without my autism I wouldn't be on this path, this journey. I may have more problems to deal with, but I'm special because of my autism.

You are absolutely right.
survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM   #22
Rocketsnail
Member+

Rocketsnail's Forum Picture

Name: Sam

This probably isn't relevant but my younger brother has been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome, he doesn't talk, he can only say about 3-4 words. And he gets so frustrated with Boone knowing what he's saying that he screams and shouts. I get really stressed and just go and lock myself in my room and cry on my bed
Rocketsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:46 AM   #23
NTTHRASH

Name: Nick

I was diagnosed with Asperger's two years back, and I love the way I am. I retain so much information, no matter how useless, and I think it's cool! I used to organize thousands of toy cars at a time; just because I could, and then now I organize files by the 20GB chunks. ASD forever!
NTTHRASH is offline   Reply With Quote