Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Charleigh
Awesome Poster

Charleigh's Forum Picture

Name: Charleigh
Default Understanding Autism

What are Autism Spectrum disorders?
Children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders have particular difficulties:
 in communicating
 being around people socially and with their
 behaviour

They have a range of intellectual ability from having severe learning disabilities, to being more academically able and in mainstream education. About 10% of people with autism may also have some special skills and abilities.

For a diagnosis of autism, there must be evidence of unusual development in the first 3 years of life. Asperger's syndrome is a term used for some higher functioning people on the autism spectrum who have intellectual ability in the average range and no delays in learning to talk. Many often have intense interests such as train timetables, buses or dinosaurs.

What are the characteristics?The characteristics of children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders will vary depending upon their age, developmental level and how severely they are affected.

The difficulties are also likely to change over time. Parents are usually (but not always) the first to have some concerns about their child’s development, and difficulties may be noticed from as early as infancy. Overall, the problems and behaviours can be divided into three main areas:

 Difficulties with communication

Children and young people with Asperges Spectrum disorder have difficulties with both verbal communication (speaking) and non-verbal communication (eye contact, expressions and gestures). Some children may not be able to talk at all or have very limited speech.

Some have good speech and language skills, but still have difficulty using their speech socially or to sustain a conversation. Their use of language may be overly formal or 'adult-like'. They may talk at length about their own topics of interest, but find it hard to understand the back and forth nature of two-way conversations.

 Difficulties with social interaction

Children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders have difficulty understanding the 'social world', for example, they often have difficulty recognising and understanding their feelings and those of people around them. This in turn can make it difficult for them to make friends. They may prefer to spend time alone, or appear insensitive to others because of their difficulties understanding social rules and expectations.
Difficulties with behaviour, interests and activities
Children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders often prefer familiar routines (e.g. taking the same route to school every day, putting their clothes on in a particular order), and tend to have difficulties dealing with change, which they find difficult and distressing.

They may also have unusual intense and specific interests, such as in electronic gadgets or lists of dates. They might use toys more like 'objects' to line up, for example. They may have unusual responses to particular experiences from their environment such as tastes, smells, sounds and textures. For example, they could be very sensitive to the sound of a hair dryer, or the feel of certain materials against their skin.

Some children show unusual repetitive movements such as hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complicated whole body movements.
Difficulties with behaviour, interests and activities
Children and young people with Autism Spectrum Disorders often prefer familiar routines (e.g. taking the same route to school every day, putting their clothes on in a particular order), and tend to have difficulties dealing with change, which they find difficult and distressing.

They may also have unusual intense and specific interests, such as in electronic gadgets or lists of dates. They might use toys more like 'objects' to line up, for example. They may have unusual responses to particular experiences from their environment such as tastes, smells, sounds and textures. For example, they could be very sensitive to the sound of a hair dryer, or the feel of certain materials against their skin.

Some children show unusual repetitive movements such as hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complicated whole body movements.

What are the causes?The exact cause of Autism Spectrum Disorders is still unknown, although research shows that a combination of genetic and environmental factors may account for changes in brain development. There is an increased risk of Autism Spectrum Disorder and other developmental difficulties in the brothers and sisters of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The reason i have posted this, is because i have a 3 year old autistic brother and i just want people to understand autism thank you for reading x

Source:http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/mentalhealthandgrowingup/autismandaspergers.aspx

FREEZE mother fucker..

Last edited by Patchy; December 11th, 2010 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Editing in source
Charleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Lasky
Junior Member+

Lasky's Forum Picture

Name: Cory
Default Re: Understanding Autism

Yeah I take psychology, we learned all about this. Some people with autism have exceptionally high IQ's, its the communication aspect of their intelligence that is crippling. Kind of sad, really.

"We all need to decide how much sin we can live with."
Lasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Sith Lord 13
The Force

Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasky View Post
Yeah I take psychology, we learned all about this. Some people with autism have exceptionally high IQ's, its the communication aspect of their intelligence that is crippling. Kind of sad, really.
Only for certain kinds of Autism. Asperger's syndrome has no verbal impairment.

If you ever need to talk, you can PM me. I can't promise I'll solve your problem but I'll do my best to help.
"You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!" - Han Solo
Awesome People: Country-Cowgirl, Goose, RodeoGirl, Maliza, ShatteredWings Thanks to Kaius for the awesome sig.
Puppy <3 Kitty
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Kaius10/Alex-1.png
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #4
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

I stickied this because I thought it was a very useful and helpful post.
Also, I think it will help a lot of people to understand autism, as a lot of people don't, and I think it will be very helpful for those people that are autistic or think they might be.

Very well written, well done
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Fact
Banned

Fact's Forum Picture

Name: Symone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
Only for certain kinds of Autism. Asperger's syndrome has no verbal impairment.
One of my friends who I was very close to has Asperger's. Even though he had no verbal IMPAIRMENT, he still found it difficult to communicate his feelings through his point of view and so would spent long lengths of time churning out facts and opinions and becoming extremely off the point.

His intelligence is off the scale though, he makes me feel like I don't know anything every time we talk just because of all the mindless crap he retains o_O that's why he's practically my brother. ^^

EDIT: I think making this thread was a good idea. People often make the wrong assumption that just because someone has autism they are stupid because they don't communicate the same as the majority.
Fact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Sith Lord 13
The Force

Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fact View Post
One of my friends who I was very close to has Asperger's. Even though he had no verbal IMPAIRMENT, he still found it difficult to communicate his feelings through his point of view and so would spent long lengths of time churning out facts and opinions and becoming extremely off the point.
I know. I have AS so trust me, I know. I just felt it important to say that just because they're not sitting in the corner rocking doesn't make a person not autistic.

If you ever need to talk, you can PM me. I can't promise I'll solve your problem but I'll do my best to help.
"You're all clear kid. Now let's blow this thing and go home!" - Han Solo
Awesome People: Country-Cowgirl, Goose, RodeoGirl, Maliza, ShatteredWings Thanks to Kaius for the awesome sig.
Puppy <3 Kitty
http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Kaius10/Alex-1.png
~Kyle Was Here, and Was Awesome~
Sith Lord 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Jean Poutine's Forum Picture

Name: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiamay View Post
I stickied this because I thought it was a very useful and helpful post.
Also, I think it will help a lot of people to understand autism, as a lot of people don't, and I think it will be very helpful for those people that are autistic or think they might be.

Very well written, well done
glad to know vt supports intellectual theft

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...aspergers.aspx

Jean Poutine, LL.B.
Jean Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Fact
Banned

Fact's Forum Picture

Name: Symone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
I know. I have AS so trust me, I know. I just felt it important to say that just because they're not sitting in the corner rocking doesn't make a person not autistic.
XD Haha, yes! I think you got that point across too.
Fact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchimata View Post

The OP never claimed ownership of the writing, although I admit neither did she give references.

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
Its your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Patchy
Former G-Mod

Patchy's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchimata View Post

Glad to know that members decide not to report these things but instead criticise VT....

Edited in source.

- Patrick
(The Ginger Scot!)

~Laura was here~
Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #11
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Jean Poutine's Forum Picture

Name: Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction View Post
The OP never claimed ownership of the writing, although I admit neither did she give references.
not citing sources amounts to the same as claiming ownership. anyway, let us not derail this any further.

Quote:
Glad to know that members decide not to report these things but instead criticise VT....

Edited in source.
i never said i wasn't a douche.

Jean Poutine, LL.B.
Jean Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12
Charleigh
Awesome Poster

sorry guys i should of put the source in. my fault!

FREEZE mother fucker..
Old January 2nd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #13
Triceratops
VT Lover

So many people are quite ignorant or misunderstand this condition. One of my friends has Asperger's, and you would never be able to tell he had anything wrong with him. He looks normal and he acts normal. Most say that those with Autism have really bad social skills, but this guy's social skills were absolutely fine, and he was very popular. He just suffered with the anxiety/depression side of it. The people that have this condition are all extremely different to each other: some have it mild and some have it really bad; some are intelligent and some have learning difficulties; some have no social skills and some are just as social as any other "normal" person and so on.

I remember reading about this like ages ago, and I convinced myself that I had it, lol. I don't have it though.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #14
chargersfan

Name: Lukas

I have aspergers, its one of those things that the older you get the less noticeable it is, atleast thats how it has been for me.
chargersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #15
amscramhick
Junior Member+

Name: Amber

My sister has Autism, she is on the severe end of the spectrum. She is 20 years old, is illiterate and pretty much depends on my mom. She throws fits all the time and screams when she doesn't get her way, and repeats herself constantly. But there are also less severe cases where they can live on their own, fend for themselves and in some instances have families of their own. There are also people with Autism, who unlike my sister who is mentally a little kid, are extremely intelligent. Particularly autistic savants have one thing they are SPECTACULAR at. It's fascinating really.
amscramhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #16
JaredIsStupid
Banned

i have aspergers and heres a few things i hate about it

. I always find it hard to talk to people my own age
. i have to go to speicial classes at school
. teachers in school treat my different saying ''hes so adorable'' or ''hes realy fun''
. my perants treat me like a baby
. I get picked on
.i cry al the time
-im a big baby
JaredIsStupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 12:11 AM   #17
antiabort
Member++

antiabort's Forum Picture

Name: John

My best friend's little bro has asbergers, and aside from rambling a lot, he is pretty normal.
antiabort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #18
Theone15
Junior Member+

Theone15's Forum Picture

Name: Michael

I found out I had aspergers recently, people are treating me differently, I don't like it, just because I find out I have form of autism doesn't mean I have to be treat like a different person.

thanks to Kaius for the sig

If you need to talk or rant pm me
Theone15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #19
Charleigh
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theone15 View Post
I found out I had aspergers recently, people are treating me differently, I don't like it, just because I find out I have form of autism doesn't mean I have to be treat like a different person.
Doesn't chance who you are, or make you different from anyone else. It just means you are fighting a bigger battle than some people keep your chin up hun, and never be ashamed of who you are..

FREEZE mother fucker..
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #20
The_Narwhal

The_Narwhal's Forum Picture

Thanks CharlieGirl for raising awerness of the subject

I have mild Aspergers myself, and while most of the symptoms are not as bad as they once were, I still have problems with communication and I still have major OCD-like symptoms and I still have to follow my regular patterns.

Due to my condition I used to struggle with my self confidence for a while.
However, I soon realised something.

I have a piece of advice for anyone suffering with autism or any other simerlar condition:

Our conditions may make us different, but they help make us who we are. People may think of us being different but in reality we are all different. Our conditions may make us unique, but being unique makes us normal.

I hope this advice helps

I have left VT.

You may still be able to contact me through email or Skype though.
The_Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote