Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old April 13th, 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
lee

lee's Forum Picture

Default new psychologist, hopefully not so stupid

Has anybody ever been to SAFE Alternatives? What's it like? I'm going to see a psychologist soon (my parents are idiots, it's a general one who doesn't specialize in adolescents or SI) and I think he might suggest it or something. I went to their website but they didn't really say much. I just wanna know what I might be getting into.

Rivers belong where they can ramble
Eagles belong where they can fly
I've got to be where my spirit can run free
Got to find my corner of the sky
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #2
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

I used to have a book that was helped written by some of the doctors there, It was called "Bodily Harm". It seemed really good. Your in that area?

Anyways, I hope your new psychologist isn't an idiot.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.
-Calvin & Hobbes.
-Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #3
lee

lee's Forum Picture

I'm in New York but I know they have a residential treatment thing. Thanks, I'll check out the book (hopefully without my mom noticing... )

Old April 13th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #4
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

I don't know what exactly you read on the site. Did you see this?
--
A) Patients are admitted to the inpatient S.A.F.E. ALTERNATIVES® program when their pattern of self-harm behavior escalates to a level which poses imminent danger to their lives and safety, and threatens the outpatient therapeutic alliance. In these cases, the patient's work within the outpatient setting has been unsuccessful in working through the repeated self-destructive behavior.

Q) Who's appropriate for admission?

A) Females and males that meet the criteria described above, who are at least twelve years of age and not actively psychotic or suicidal, are appropriate for consideration for admission. We do not accept involuntary patients.

Q) How long is the program?

A) The optimal length of treatment is 30 days, utilizing a combination of inpatient and partial day hospital services. Adult patients who do not live in close proximity to the hospital can, for a reasonable cost, be provided with housing. Patients will transition to the day hospital when they are stable and safe enough to handle the step down. The program is considered brief enough to stem regression, but lengthy enough to foster more self-control and autonomy through a complete, multi-model therapeutic treatment approach.

Q) What are the basic ingredients of the program?

A) All patients are expected to voluntarily sign and adhere to a No-Harm contract, which states that they will not self-injure while in the program. While we do not believe that refraining from self-injury for 30 days constitutes a "cure" we do view self-injury as a form of self-medication, providing immediate relief for intolerable feelings. Our philosophy is such that one cannot attend to the issues underlying self-injury while relying on the "quick fix" of this behavior

Q) Do most insurance plans cover this treatment program?

A) Most commercial insurance companies as well as Medicare can fund this type of hospital treatment. Each insurance company has its own criteria for inpatient admission and each policy has its own unique benefit package. Our intake coordinator can aid in the determination on an individual's policy.

Q) How do I get admitted?

A) The admission process begins with either an in-person or phone assessment by one of our clinical team members. All interested parties should call 1-800-DONTCUT® (1-800-366-8288)
http://www.safe-alternatives.com/treatment.html

--
Found this also:
--
S.A.F.E. (Self Abuse Finally Ends) Alternatives is a 30-day inpatient program for adults and adolescents. S.A.F.E. Alternatives has received national and international recognition for its treatment approach and educational resources for helping people to end self-destructive behavior. Individual and group therapy, impulse control management, education and journaling exercises are used to help the person cope with emotional distress. In order to participate, individuals are required to sign a promise agreement to stop deliberate self-harm during treatment.
http://www.edward.org/services/behavioralserv.asp#a3j
--
Last One:
--
Treatment
SAFE Alternatives, located at Linden Oaks Hospital in Naperville, is the only program in the country dedicated specifically to treating self-abuse. The 30-day inpatient and outpatient program for patients ages 12 and up was begun by Karen Conterio, with the help of Lader, in 1985. It includes both group and individual therapy.

It isn’t just about stopping the self-abuse; it’s about finding out what’s triggering it. “We do believe that it’s a form of coping and what we do is figure out the reasons why they’re doing it,” Lader says. Most of the people who seek treatment are middle to upper class, bright, but lacking in self-esteem. Lader estimates that up to 90 percent of the patients she sees are depressed and have been discouraged from expressing their anger and sadness.

Patients talk about their anxieties, stresses, and concerns in hopes of understanding and overcoming them. “What’s the point of talking about, ‘I took a razor out and cut myself 20 times?’ That’s mental masturbation,” Lader says. “It becomes a pissing contest; who cut more times, the deepest. We don’t glorify it.”

Treatment for self-abuse takes time and dedication, and it can only succeed if the patient is motivated to make the change. For this reason, SAFE Alternatives doesn’t take patients who are forced or coerced by their parents or friends. Program directors feel that patients benefit only if they agree to come for treatment. It’s the first step to taking back control of their lives.

It can take time for people to admit to self-abuse and seek help. “I wasn’t ready to talk to anyone about what I was doing. It was mine,” Pszotka recalls. “When I did talk to anyone about it, I told them what they wanted to hear. I wasn’t in that place yet.” She has yet to seek treatment. Although it has taken her several years, Pszotka has worked hard at getting to the source of her anxieties; the things that pushed her to cut. Cutting isn’t such a prominent part of her life anymore. John, too, still struggles with cutting and with substance abuse.

But SAFE Alternatives’ many successes have convinced Conterio and Lader that people can overcome self-abuse. They keep a binder full of letters written by former patients who credit the program with helping them stop hurting themselves. Their records show that 72 percent of their
former patients are injury-free two years after completing the program.It’s not easy to overcome the urge toward self-abuse, but it certainly can be done. “[We] don’t believe that once a cutter always a cutter,” Lader says.
http://www.echomagonline.com/back/fall04/features4.html

Hopefully that helps atleast some?

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.
-Calvin & Hobbes.
-Silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #5
lee

lee's Forum Picture

Yea, a little. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

Old April 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie

I'm seeing a dumbass free from the goverment he specalises in marital hes only treated one other kid that I know of and he's dead

♫♪Κodie♪♫
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #7
lee

lee's Forum Picture

Dead as in...existentially challenged?

Old April 14th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #8
Waiting
VT Lover

Waiting's Forum Picture

apparently after i od'd im a priority case to see sum1...
it happened 15th march..
first appointment 25th april...
yea real priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplemagne
18. Come back when you stop failing.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 06:03 AM   #9
Whisper
Ancient Gmod

Whisper's Forum Picture

Name: Kodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
Dead as in...existentially challenged?
As in commited suicide

Yea thats common patch I had a 6 week wait for a psyciatrist but I was already seeing a psycologist, a psycologist that cost the company my dad works for 600$ an hr

♫♪Κodie♪♫
Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #10
<-Dying_to_Live->
VT Lover

<-Dying_to_Live->'s Forum Picture

why did your dads company have to pay? jw
<-Dying_to_Live-> is offline   Reply With Quote