Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Name: Nick
Default Ban the terms 'noob', 'n00b' etc

Some people seem to love to talk down on other members just because they are new to VT. Cant help feeling this must give a bad impression to visitors and to new members. Surely everyone should accept that being new to the site doesnt make someone open to criticism and abuse. Maybe its time to add a rule forbidding the use of the terms "noob", "n00b" and in my opinion (different case I know) "p101er" from use in any threads, chat and the shoutbox.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #2
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark
Default Re: Ban the terms 'noob', 'n00b' etc

I've seen senior mods use the term. There can't be anything that bad with it.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM   #3
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
I've seen senior mods use the term. There can't be anything that bad with it.
So have I, but I dont see that that in itself makes it right, surely it emphasises the extent to which new members are looked down on. I just dont see that its a good thing.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:49 PM   #4
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
So have I, but I dont see that that in itself makes it right, surely it emphasises the extent to which new members are looked down on. I just dont see that its a good thing.
If you've said it then why are you saying it's a bad term and people shouldn't say it? Isn't that a little hypocritical?

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Quote:
If you've said it then why are you saying it's a bad term and people shouldn't say it? Isn't that a little hypocritical?
I dont see that. It would be hard to say "ban the term word" without actually mentioning the word.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
I dont see that. It would be hard to say "ban the term word" without actually mentioning the word.
Noob isn't harmful. Everyone is called it when they start out. It means their new. People can deal with it. And banning a word is OUTRAGEOUS. It's like me saying, "Nobody on VT can say shit anymore because shit offends me. You guys have to follow my opinion no matter what no matter you like it or not."

It's not that offensive. I'm pretty sure calling someone a noob is better and safer then telling someone they're dumb or stupid. And not all noobs are bad. Noobs can be smart. So all because they're new (A NOOB), they can be smart and this is not really offensive.

It's all in terms of words. And maybe you should ask some new users before going all judgmental on what the new users probably feel like.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #7
Ender
Battle School Kid

Ender's Forum Picture

Name: Trae

I completely agree with nick here. Its supposed to be a place where people like each other and are friends and can turn to each other for help, not where you are picked on for being new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief/Horus/Aeterna View Post
Here on VT we keep a close watch over our children. If one tries to escape from their cage, they receive a lash. There is no escaping.
Scarface is always there when I need someone.
Smartass #2
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
ShatteredWings
Under the Stars

ShatteredWings's Forum Picture

Name: Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcsoman0117 View Post
I completely agree with nick here. Its supposed to be a place where people like each other and are friends and can turn to each other for help, not where you are picked on for being new.
They're not picked on when they're not being noobs.
it's content, rather than postcount IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flames View Post
VT turned me lesbo acid wankers wtf.
~Laura Was Here~
Retired Gmod
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Cloud
Godliest God of all

Name: Calum

noob=New member
n00b=Silly person trying to say new member
P101er= A person who has mosts of their posts within the puberty 101 forums and very few anywhere else

Nicks suggestion=thought policing

Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few-Winston Churchill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiction
Oh of course. I so want you now.

~Laura was here~
~Jessi wasn't here but she should have been ~
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #10
JimSauce
Member+

Name: Jim

At all forums I'm on, the word "newb" simply means a new person (not condescending or offensive in any way) and "noob" is a derogatory word meaning stupid/ignorant.

At this forum I don't see any offense in the word noob.

Check out my blog!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Dorsum Oppel
Great Poster

Dorsum Oppel's Forum Picture

Name: Frog-queen Neknekti

I was never picked on for being new because I made valid contributions to threads and wasn't a dumbass. Noob is not a date of joining or a post count. Noob is a mentality and post quality.

Also, it's a fucking word. If we begin to band fucking words, we'd be reaching a new level of ridiculous in internet censorship. If someones feeling are hurt over being called a noob for being stupid or making poorly thought out posts, they can get the fuck over it.

Lets leave the sound of the heat for the sound of the rain
Its easy to sleep when it wets my brain
But restless is causeless and I cannot hide
So much of my mind that it spills outside

THE PARABLES
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #12
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie

Quote:
Some people seem to love to talk down on other members just because they are new to VT.
Everyone was called it one time or another. It's not looking down to new members. It's just another term. Nor is it insulting.

Quote:
Cant help feeling this must give a bad impression to visitors and to new members. Surely everyone should accept that being new to the site doesnt make someone open to criticism and abuse.
It doesn't give an impression nor is it name calling. Don't mean to be a dick or anything, but I just don't see the harm in it. n00b= new member. It happens on every forum I have visited and/or been on.

Quote:
Maybe its time to add a rule forbidding the use of the terms "noob", "n00b" and in my opinion (different case I know) "p101er" from use in any threads, chat and the shoutbox.
Should we ban "fuck" and "shit" too because it shows vulgarity and may be offensive to others even though it may be a form of venting? It's just a term... It's nothing to make a big deal out of. It's not like they use it ALL the time in an abrasive manner. Hell I was called a n00b. It never bothered me.

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #13
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

Tbh words only become derogatory when one gives them that meaning. The word n00b is not really that offensive they are just new people. It depends on the level of sensitivity of the user and the context of the post but then again if the context of the post is insulting the member then that will be dealt with as it is a separate issue. The word in itself is not really insulting and should not be taken in such a way. Some n00bs that i've met since i joined have been extremely intelligent but they are still n00bs being new to the site

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #14
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
I was never picked on for being new because I made valid contributions to threads and wasn't a dumbass. Noob is not a date of joining or a post count. Noob is a mentality and post quality.
I have to agree on this. If someone is directly calling you a noob to offend you (which it shouldn't because it's such a weak word) it's probably because you don't spell that well, don't know the rules that well (most new people don't), and based on posts that are contrary to the topic and not spam.

Of course I have explained what the word noob means in the first couple replies, but Cloud's definition are pretty much perfect.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:14 PM   #15
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

I raised this because of the contents of the shoutbox tonight. Despite the answers above, and I understand some of the points, I believe this gives a very bad impression. Members who are fairly new themselves soon learn that its cool to be rude about even newer members. Doesnt seem a healthy thing to me.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #16
Obscene Eyedeas
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I raised this because of the contents of the shoutbox tonight. Despite the answers above, and I understand some of the points, I believe this gives a very bad impression. Members who are fairly new themselves soon learn that its cool to be rude about even newer members. Doesnt seem a healthy thing to me.
As i said if it is purposely used for insulting then that is a separate issue as anyone could just as easily say a different curse word to insult them, it's not the word that is the problem and from the context of this reply your problem isn't with one word but a general attitude in the forums. You can't control a general attitude as much as one would want to.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. ~ Stephen F. Roberts
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #17
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Quote:
Like we've said a billion times, someone called a noob isn't always meant to be rude. And it's not even that offensive. OH NO SOMEONE CALLED ME NEW WHAT DO I DO NOW? Like anyone's going to complain about being called new. At least I wouldn't think so.
It's not like your calling someone an idiot. And I do think you haven't read most of the replies above you because it seems like you're just saying the same thing again and again, but just in a different context of words.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:24 PM   #18
nick
Legendary Member

nick's Forum Picture

Quote:
Like we've said a billion times, someone called a noob isn't always meant to be rude.
A billion times? Isnt always - which means is sometimes or even maybe is often. The term is used in a way that implies new=stupid=not worthy of attention. I struggle to think when it doesnt mean that. I just think its wrong.

Quote:
it seems like you're just saying the same thing again and again, but just in a different context of words.
Likewise
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:25 PM   #19
-Silence
...La De Dah!

-Silence's Forum Picture

Name: Heather, Duh.

Quote:
Is this what you are refering to?

Quote:
[Today 04:10 PM] justalovestruckteen: Oh look a n00b, oh wait thats an ant (wow I'm so far off)
[Today 03:57 PM] TootsiePop: So many n00bs, so little time...
[Today 03:29 PM] [[chickaroo92]]: I'm multi tasking ^.^
[Today 03:29 PM] Mford199X: Full Metal Alchemist
[Today 03:26 PM] Mford199X: So many noobs
*TootsiePop sighs at n00bs*
If so, I think you are just being silly. No one was insulted and you a raising an issue? It's just a word. Too many rules is never a good thing. The first thing that came to my mind like Cloud had said - The Thought Police.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #20
Camazotz
Seor Waddles

Camazotz's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

If anyone is offended by being called the term "noob," it's probably time to turn off the internet and interact with real people. The world isn't always a happy place. And a word like noob should have no effect at all on your emotions.

Ѐņ ߀خ Ί∩خ
~Laura was here~
Closed Thread