Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
guacamole24
Nice Poster

guacamole24's Forum Picture

Name: Zack
Default Dealing With My OCD

I have been very privately dealing with what I think is OCD for probably the last two or three years. I have so many weird habits that I do, such as walking up and down the stairs, starting and ending with the same foot, I fold my clothes for each day into little piles, I line up coins in rows, typing only with my pinky, and a billion other things. I feel like if I don't do these things, something will go terribly wrong. And I've somehow intertwined them with my spiritual relations.
I have never been very religious at all, but I pray every night, and I feel like I have a very personal relationship with God. My parents don't know that I pray at all, and I keep it that way. I always keep it very private, as well as my OCD habits, because I feel like they are private, nobody else's business, and something will go wrong if they find out.
I don't think I feel very comfortable talking about this at all, especially not with my parents, and I don't know who I can talk to. I would say that I would like to talk to a therapist, which I really would, but when my mom says that therapists have to report everything to the parents for underage patients (I'm fourteen). The reason I think therapy would be the most comfortable situation is because it would be a person that I don't know personally, like my mom.
Last summer, when I was imagining that I had a bunch of illness and health problems, I talked to my mom about it all. Eventually, she started getting worried about all the problems I was having, which is what I don't need. Having a personal relationship without the person. Plus, it seemed like she started getting annoyed that I thought everything was wrong with me. So I tend to keep a lot more to myself. And I don't talk about issues with my dad... he's not as sensitive or understanding as my mom, really.
On the other hand, I'm starting high school next week, where we'll finally have a guidance counselor... is that something I should look into or not? Do they contact your parents as well about your issues?

Please give me some advice about this. I really don't know what to do about my OCD and everything else I mentioned. Along with the constant worrying (possibly anxiety), gayness, mom issues, and a bunch of other stuff, it's really taking it's toll on me. Thank you.

Last edited by guacamole24; August 3rd, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
guacamole24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph
Default Re: Dealing With My OCD

Therapists or counselors of any sort cannot, by law, report anything to anybody unless you're a danger to yourself or others hun, I promise you that. That being said, you should seek out therapy if your compulsions are interfering with your everyday life and if your anxiety starts getting to a level where you can't handle it on your own.

From my experience with mental illness, your parents are the best resource for help. Granted everybody is different, your parents only want what is best for you, and will likely try to help you in anyway that they can.

If you decide to seek out a therapist, one that practices Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy is the way to go as they will focus on your behaviors along with the logic (or lack of) behind them and try to help you break free of them.

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #3
guacamole24
Nice Poster

guacamole24's Forum Picture

Name: Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Therapists or counselors of any sort cannot, by law, report anything to anybody unless you're a danger to yourself or others hun, I promise you that. That being said, you should seek out therapy if your compulsions are interfering with your everyday life and if your anxiety starts getting to a level where you can't handle it on your own.

From my experience with mental illness, your parents are the best resource for help. Granted everybody is different, your parents only want what is best for you, and will likely try to help you in anyway that they can.

If you decide to seek out a therapist, one that practices Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy is the way to go as they will focus on your behaviors along with the logic (or lack of) behind them and try to help you break free of them.
I just don't want to upset my mom at all since she's kind of unstable right now. She's taking medication and the side effects include rage. And she has definitely displayed. Should I just wait two months until she's off of her medication to tell her that I want to look into therapy. Either way I feel like it's going to upset her and make her think that I don't trust her or something. The same with my dad. He has a very strong disbelief in therapy, so I can't bring that up to him. But if I ask him if he thinks my mom is okay enough for me to bring up a serious topic that I couldn't discuss with him, he would feel like I didn't trust him. So what should I do? And do you think what I have is OCD? Thanks.
guacamole24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph

If you feel that this medication side effect with your mom will interfere with you asking, then perhaps you can see your school counselor in the mean time, and they can help you prepare for asking your parents about seeking a professional's help. As great as school counselors can be, they're more geared towards education, not mental illness, but they can still try to help you with other things.

It's really up to your best judgement about when to ask though.

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote