Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy
Default OCD?

My sister has always been odd. She is now 11 years old. She has routines that are very particular, like my mum has to say exactly the same thing every night when she puts her too bed and if it is slightly wrong she cries and they have too start again before she will go too sleep. She also has too make sure her bed things such as her bed, or her shoes are put on or arranged in a certian way. if they aren't she will keep going at them until they are perfect. if we try too stop her half way through she will cry and shout :/ She has a short temper especailly with things accociated with that type of things :/ Does she have OCD?

One other question, is OCD realted too self harm? I self harm and i really don't want my sister to end up doing it :/

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
It’s your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

Default Re: OCD?

We cannot diagnose her, or say she has or hasn't got OCD, take her to see a psych for an assessment if it is disrupting her life that much / distressing her that much, & see what they say.

"OCD is an anxiety disorder in which people experience repetitive and upsetting thoughts or images (obsessions), and feel compelled to carry out certain behaviours (compulsions). As mentioned above, self-injury can bring relief from the anxiety associated with OCD. It can also be a compulsive behaviour, a symptom of OCD itself."

Taken from - http://www.siriusproject.org/mentalhealth.htm

http://www.ocdsymptoms.co.uk/what-do...-selfharm.html

Might help with your latter question.

I don't think there is a connection, but it is a possibility in occurring.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #3
The Dark Lord
Awesome Poster

The Dark Lord's Forum Picture

Name: George

If you think it is geniunely that bad, then perhaps ask your parents if she could go to a doctor, but a lot of people self-diagnose OCD wrongly, so be careful. I don't think OCD is connected to self harming, but I'm not 100%.

“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”-Steven Weinberg

The Dark Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #4
Fiction
Ex Psych Mod

Fiction's Forum Picture

Name: Kathy

My mum is a doctor and has her susppicions about it. Everytime she mentions something to me about the fact that she thinks my sister may have OCD she immediatley begins denying it again, more too herself than anyone else. I think my mum is just scared too admit that she really does have a problem and i don't want too push her too admitting this after all, it could just be something my sister will grow out of

You brought hate, pills and knives,
And this is how the tale begins.
It’s your life, exist and wonder why.
When it only fails to work,
It only fails to work sometimes
Fiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

If it is OCD, I doubt she will grow out of it as you don't just grow out of OCD, it's a very serious disorder, and it could get worse as your sister grows up, & right now it sounds like it's distressing your sister, so I would get this seen to just to be sure.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote