Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #21
dstnyisurs
Member++

Default Re: "I have OCD." "Yeah I think I might too!" "No."

It can get annoying, people take whatever troubles you're going through and try to relate to them and thus tone them down, diverting the attention to themselves.
Self-diagnosis can be annoying when it's way off, or false. Some of it, though, is accurate. People know what's wrong with them in the general ballpark through research, but don't get diagnosed because they're scared (my case), too prideful, so on, but they know what's wrong with them.
For instance, I know I am severly entomophobic, and I know I have some sort of mood disorder, whether it be bipolar disorder, or depression, or borderline personality disorder, or whatever. I know the ballpark, and I know something is wrong with me.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
dstnyisurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:50 AM   #22
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

At age 16, a personality disorder is not going to be able to be diagnosed anyway. Bi polar is also unlikely to be diagnosed in under 18's. ^^

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #23
bellais
Junior Member+

bellais's Forum Picture

urghh its so annoying
bellais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #24
Chris95
Awesome Poster

I have severe Social Anxiety Disorder, and I just spoke to a friend about it for the first time. He basically shrugged it off as a "phase", it seems. Like I told him how it is physically NOT POSSIBLE for me to enter a social encounter with someone I don't know. He said "It's like a cold swimming pool. Just jump right in, you'll be fine." And he said he also had the "awkward phase" at the beginning of high school. Just... no. I will not sit here and have my fucking debilitating mental disorder be compared to the way anyone acts at the beginning of high school. It's fucking sickening. Although I don't want to bring it up to him, because it seems like he's trying to help... which, though I appreciate it, if anything it's driving me backwards.

Now, relating to self-diagnosis, it depends for me. "Like, oh my GAWWWWWWD! I must be social anxiety disorderz, cuz last time I had to give a speech in class I messed up! I noes how you feel!" That, I will NOT tolerate, and I am willing to tell off even my closest friend if they said that.

However to be honest, a doctor never said to me "You have Social Anxiety Disorder." But through extremely extensive research, and through the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Test (something created and used by professionals to diagnose the disorder), I know I have it, without a single shadow of doubt. That kind of self-diagnosis (using the term loosely) is fine, and I'm sure most would agree.

Last edited by Chris95; June 9th, 2010 at 01:51 AM.
Chris95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #25
JunkBondTrader
Awesome Poster

JunkBondTrader's Forum Picture

Name: Felix

I was diagnosed with OCD in 2005 and I'm not going to lie, I don't feel that I have it very severely. But the main reason I never mention it to anyone is because of the surprisingly vast amount of people who get OCD mixed up with OCPD (of which I have no symptoms). For this reason, a lot of people assume I'm lying because I'm messy and quite disorganised. This confusion annoys me more than people trying to relate to it, but that's probably just because most of the people I speak to don't.

It's me, Felix.
Name changes annoy everyone, I know.
JunkBondTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #26
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith

I WISH OCD was as simple as "I like to keep my books organized." I want to punch people in the face when they say that crap. If you were OCD for even a day, you'd never say you were OCD again because it's not something to be... well, proud of in that way, though I'm proud in more of an "I like myself" way (does that make sense?). You'd be begging to be able to live with those seven ice cubes in your cup instead of eight, or rid your mind of the image of your teacher... *ahem* ...that keeps popping into your mind for no apparent reason. You want your soft, pretty hands back (hand washing. Before meals, after meals, three times after the restroom, before and after touching a keyboard or a door handle or your dog or any item that has been touched after it being in the dishwasher, soaked in hand sanitizer or sprayed with disinfectant). You'd wish that you could get on with your life and not double, triple, no, quadrouple check that you in fact turned your stove off, locked the door, turned off your bedroom light. OCD isn't something to throw around. I don't care about some stupid pencils being aligned straightly, I care about them being the same brand, sharpened to a specific thickness, and using each for the same amount of time so they stay the same. I have to bump into people in the hallway just because they happened to be on the tile I'm supposed to step on each time I pass, for heaven's sake. It's not a ride in the park.

Finally, bipolar disorder, one, has made my life hell, so don't say your boyfriend who is hot and cold with you is bipolar, or maybe think that you might be just PMSing, which usually has more frequent mood swings than manic depression, thank you.

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote