Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Kahn
Publius

Kahn's Forum Picture

Name: Adam
Default Chat moderators

John (Starstrukk) and I have a suggestion regarding the chat.

I read in the "Smart conversations" thread that some people wanted Chat moderators. Well, lets make this the thread that decides it. I know it will be the upper staff decision in the end, but lets see if the majority would like moderators.

John and I were in chat, and people start talking about the size of their penis, and how they jack off with friends. Sure, we could just leave, but I think Jeff did not donate the money for Chat to be used like this. I am not saying the moderators need to be forum moderators, and I am not saying they need the mod face or anything, they are just there to moderate the chat.

"I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy."

VT Daily Chronicle Contributer
Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Mr. Smithers
Banned

Name: August
Default Re: Chat moderators

Well I don't see how it couldn't be a bad idea. I hardly ever go onto the chat room, but when I do go, people seem to behave themselves usually, but I don't see a problem just having chat room moderators, then again, I wouldn't be the one to make the final decision on that, but I see the point that you are trying to make.
Mr. Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM   #3
CaptainObvious
Retired Administrator

CaptainObvious's Forum Picture

Name: David

It seems like most of the time there's staff on there and therefore not too much misbehavior. I guess it comes down to how much of the time there's nobody there when bad stuff is going on, which from where I'm sitting seems to account for not much of the time - therefore, specific chat moderators would seem unnnecessary.

*edit* Of course, since by definition I'm mostly not around to see chat when I'm not available to be in it my perspective could be skewed.

You are the ground upon which I blizzard.

Last edited by CaptainObvious; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:28 PM.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan

Whenever I'm in chat their is always a "hey you got cam" "can I ask your dick size" ect. I think that yes, moderation could be used and I think it should be on a basis that you're in chat a lot and know what you're doing. Members/Moderators could put themselves forward. It's a good idea yes, but again not my final choice.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Aspiringanonymous
Awesome Poster

From what I can see, there does seem to be almost always at least one staff member in the chat during increased times of activity. However - moderation in chat is more relaxed than in the forum.

I think there is definitely a need for more clear-cut rules and moderation procedures for the chat. Discussing penis size and other questions that are commonly acceptable in P101, is an annoyance of course - but isn't technically breaking any rules.

I'll be honest and say that oftentimes I won't know what to do when a troll enters the chat and starts interrupting a good conversation - if they are simply being annoying and not actually saying anything that could warrant a ban.
Aspiringanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:29 PM   #6
Kahn
Publius

Kahn's Forum Picture

I am always in chat, and almost always, whenever there is not a moderator, someone comes in asking about camming, sexuality, if it is a dirty chat, etc. Usually moderators aren't in there in the morning, and when I am someone always comes in when I'm having a discussion asking if someone wants to cam, or if anyone wants to dirty chat. Therefore I have to end my discussion and leave because I am not dealing with this person.

"I hold the maxim no less applicable to public than to private affairs, that honesty is always the best policy."

Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM   #7
2D
Banned

Adam's basically said everything I think. and if this does come to pass I'm in chat most of the day.
2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

I think this has been considered before but just more normal mods were added.

Honestly, personally, I think that they are unnecessary. People just need to be vigilantes.

Report inappropriate behavior by taking a screen shot or telling an admin the exact time and user and it will be handled effectively.

~Laura was here~
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Iron Man
U.S. Navy

Iron Man's Forum Picture

Name: Skyler*

Oh, I think it would be an excellent idea. A lot of people, including me, have been bashed in there because of the lack of a moderator presence. People say whatever they want in there, including hurtful things.

"Its not the top that's douchey. Its the person wearing it."
-Charles, on striped tank tops.

I own Harry Styles.
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #10
BlackBetty
Awesome Poster

BlackBetty's Forum Picture

Name: Ask Me :)

All the stuff happenes when mods arent there. I think there should be mod for chat.....

~John~
"Better to beg than to steal, but better to work than to beg"-Grandma Topper
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #11
CaptainObvious
Retired Administrator

CaptainObvious's Forum Picture

Name: David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstrukk View Post
All the stuff happenes when mods arent there. I think there should be mod for chat.....
Yes except that there's a point at which adding more mods doesn't necessarily help that. 100% moderator presence is never going to happen, even if you were to add 3 or 4 chat moderators. And it would create additional complications.

Anyways, I agree with John. If someone does something against the rules that you witness while no mod is around to deal with it, report it.

You are the ground upon which I blizzard.
CaptainObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #12
2D
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
Anyways, I agree with John. If someone does something against the rules that you witness while no mod is around to deal with it, report it.
That's not what we're on about. We mean at the moment when it happens you can't do anything. Sure we can report it but that does nada when someone is fucking up a conversation with cam questions.
2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #13
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

I'm really in favor of it.

Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #14
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale

AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture

Name: Paula

If it counts for anything. I wouldn't mind being Chat Mod.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #15
Aspiringanonymous
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I think this has been considered before but just more normal mods were added.

Honestly, personally, I think that they are unnecessary. People just need to be vigilantes.

Report inappropriate behavior by taking a screen shot or telling an admin the exact time and user and it will be handled effectively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
Yes except that there's a point at which adding more mods doesn't necessarily help that. 100% moderator presence is never going to happen, even if you were to add 3 or 4 chat moderators. And it would create additional complications.

I'm going to agree with John and David here.

If someone comes along and starts to be annoying - report and ignore them - to an extent, it's the same concept as with posts in the forums. There won't always be a staff member guaranteed online, especially during times of decreased activity, but reports are dealt with as soon as it becomes possible.

It's a well-intending suggestion - but I, too, question its necessity and the complications it may bring - ignore feature is there for a reason.
Aspiringanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #16
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen

just so you all know, the senior staff are already in discussion about this idea and hopefully in the coming days will come to a conclusion with it.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:12 AM   #17
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

It seems almost 50/50 for me really. Arguments can be made against it, arguments can be made for it. However, one really obvious point that comes forward is moderator workload: a chat moderator position is one which reduces strain on the normal moderators. As a former mod I know that after a while everything really kind of starts to pile up so just sitting around in the chat making sure things are going well can easily be something that adds stress or simply doesn't get done.

The other thing is just that it's a position which someone like me might consider. At this point I'd never be comfortable even sending in an application for a full-on moderator job due to time constraints (which you all know about ) but a more minor position is something that someone who wants to contribute in a smaller way could help with. Spreading the load around. Many hands make light work, all that good stuff.

EDIT: Somehow didn't manage to see Stephen's post, I'll shut up now. >_>
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #18
Sage
Banned

Name: Sage

*shrug* I'm in chat for at least a number of hours every day. Reporting certain things is pointless because by the time a moderator can come around to deal with them, the issue or person in question is long gone. I don't see chat mods as being as... authoritative? on the forum as the regular staff, but having people around to serve quick chatroom law and order where needed would certainly be nice, and would hopefully make the chatroom a more pleasant place for most people.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #19
Kahn
Publius

Kahn's Forum Picture

Me and Jeff are virtually always in chat. As is a few others. We just need to give the senior staff time to think about it.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #20
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison

Personally, I see no problem against it. I mean, someone could take the appropriate action of taking a screen shot and sending it to a mod, or, most of us are connected to a mod some way off of VT, so someone could just jump on MSN and call in a mod. I don't think its unnecessary, but not completely essential.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote