Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #1
Mzor203
VT Lover
 
Name: Rex
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I am aware of the fact that the administration of VT has decided to allow pictures which portray members abusing substances such alcohol and cigarettes.

As a good deal of you know, I am opposed to this, but I'm going to put this out here in a more calm and civilised manner, and hopefully get other opinions on this.

The reason for allowing these pictures is the following: That since this is a global site, and thus people of many cultures, many legal smoking and drinking ages are housed here.

Now here's my argument against this, and I'm going to show it through example.

Sex is perfectly legal at the age of 16 in a good deal of the world. Yet, we are not allowed to discuss it in great detail. With words. More so, we are certainly not allowed to post pictures of anything relating to sex. I know there are actual rules in place prohibiting pictures, yet again we cannot even discuss anything sexual in detail.

The second thing I see is that VT does not promote drug use. Yet this certainly promotes it. Why? Because the only reason I can see for adding something like that into a picture is to make yourself look cool. If you're giving off the impression that smoking or drinking makes you cool, you are promoting it.

Thirdly, VT doesn't allow pictures of self harm. I'm not really sure how drugs and self harm are any worse than each other. Drugs can get you addicted, self-harm can get get you addicted. Both harm your body. Both hurt loved ones. Self-harm isn't illegal, yet you don't allow pictures of it. Drugs/alcohol is illegal for the vast majority of this site, yet you do allow it.

In short, it just isn't appropriate for a teen site, just in the way that many other things aren't appropriate.

My suggestion: rethink this particular feature of the rules.

Feel free to discuss and expand upon this.

Last edited by Mzor203; July 5th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Bobby
Legendary Member
 
Bobby's Forum Picture
 
Name: Bobby
Join Date: January 9, 2006
Location: Where You Want Me
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 16
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I agree. I don't want this image on our site. Do we want to look like that?

"Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war."
-John McCain
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #3
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale
 
AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture
 
Name: Paula
Join Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Toronto
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 34
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

i dont care about it, if it's allowed or prohibited.

pictures dont influence what i do or dont do.
and no one else should be influenced by it either.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod
 
Antares's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 18, 2007
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 51
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
i dont care about it, if it's allowed or prohibited.

pictures dont influence what i do or dont do.
and no one else should be influenced by it either.
In response to Paula, the unfortunate fact is that people are easily influenced. Especially young teens. And some of our governments understand that too. Hence why cigarette commercials are banned.

I totally agree.
This is a teen site. If a teen comes on here...lets say a 13 year old. They see other teens that they may "look up to" using drugs/etc. they may think they should try these illegal substances.

I think that by having these pictures up it promotes drug usage. I mean heck, the drug forum promotes drug usage. Which is all illegal might I add. So I think we need to start removing all pictures portraying illegal/underage drug usage. Especially when we know that the user is underage.

I mean, if I can post pictures of me totally wasted or smoking, then why can't I post a picture of me doing something also illegal like having sex or equally sensitive like cutting (note, those comparisons are a bit extreme but hopefully proves my point)






~Laura was here~

Last edited by Antares; July 5th, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #5
MoveAlong
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Drugs are often self harm? Yes? Yes or no?
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Mzor203
VT Lover
 
Name: Rex
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedWolf View Post
i dont care about it, if it's allowed or prohibited.

pictures dont influence what i do or dont do.
and no one else should be influenced by it either.
Influence isn't the only reason. As Bobby pointed out, the image of VT deteriorates if there's a ton of those pictures. Plus it's just something I don't want to see, and quite a few wouldn't want to see I'm sure.

Oh, and Zack, as you posted that I was editing my post to include my view on that.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #7
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale
 
AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture
 
Name: Paula
Join Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Toronto
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 34
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Like i said i dont mind it either way.
but i see your point.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod
 
Antares's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 18, 2007
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 51
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveAlong View Post
Drugs are often self harm? Yes? Yes or no?
I personally think it is self harm...harming self. It is in the definition

Just like cutting, or perging (sp) or any other thing that our site harbors.






~Laura was here~
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #9
theOperaGhost
Banned
 
Join Date: December 21, 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 9
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I couldnt agree with rex more. In fact at the time both of us were staff we brought it up but found very little support. I think it puts a pretty shameful image on this site and it is a promotion of drug use just like pictures of scars or cuts promote self harm. I dont think these pictures should be permitted under any circumstances.
theOperaGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #10
MoveAlong
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I'm sorry guys but I haven't really seen this. I guess if it is happening though, it should be prevented.
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #11
Mzor203
VT Lover
 
Name: Rex
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

It's happened, I can attest to the fact that this has been discussed before, but I cannot show anyone it because that would be unfair to those who are currently sporting such pictures, in a rule-abiding manner at this time.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #12
The Joker
VT Lover
 
The Joker's Forum Picture
 
Name: Matt
Join Date: March 21, 2009
Age: 22
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I totally agree Tibificus Rex.

Sorry, yes I totally agree Rex.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
I'm about to assassinate Gandhi.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #13
Donkey
Retired Administrator
 
Donkey's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 9, 2008
Location: England
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Totally agree. Hate it when I see pictures like this, and as soon as this comes into force, i'll report them.

Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #14
Neverender
Newfoundlander
 
Neverender's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

I dont really care too much about these pictures to a certain extent.

For example, I found this picture on the site:
I believe this is unacceptable.






Whereas (My profile picture):
This should be acceptable to at least some degree.




Been here on VT so long,
my clothes are starting to rot.
8 Years and counting
Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #15
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod
 
Antares's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 18, 2007
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 51
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
I dont really care too much about these pictures to a certain extent.

For example, I found this picture on the site:
I believe this is unacceptable.






Whereas (My profile picture):
This should be acceptable to at least some degree.


Well the bottom picture doesn't show any alcohol or drugs so I don't think anyone matters. I think when its clearly shown like above or in soo many other albums on this site, it becomes a problem.






~Laura was here~
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #16
Neverender
Newfoundlander
 
Neverender's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ryan
Join Date: July 28, 2007
Location: Newfoundland and Labrador
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
I think when its clearly shown like above or in soo many other albums on this site, it becomes a problem.
Especially since we're supposed to be helping to give support for someone who, for example, is quitting smoking. But then they see the Picture and they see/feel a conflict of messages the site is sending.


Been here on VT so long,
my clothes are starting to rot.
8 Years and counting
Neverender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #17
redcar
Retired Administrator
 
redcar's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 15, 2004
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 20
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Last time I checked the rules we didn't allow any promotion of drug useage? Pictures of persons using drugs would constitute breaking this rule, which carries a big enough punishment. We also dont show images of self harm. Correct me if I am wrong?

I agree with them totally. Sure it was me and Ben who decided to crack down on promoting drug useage.

But cigarette and alcohol... get over yourselves. Those two are perfectly legal for some people. Drug useage is illegal and cutting is something we say we dont show because part of this sites remit is to help people who do cut and showing pictures of same is just not conducive to that.

I strongly suggest any of you who back this idea to rethink. Otherwise lets crackdown on talking and showing pictures of cars. Most of the site aren't able to drive, because it is illegal for them to do so, so lets not talk about it. While we are at it, lets stop all talk of getting a job, because some people here it would be illegal for them to work because they are underage.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #18
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale
 
AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture
 
Name: Paula
Join Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Toronto
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 34
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

What Alex said is a good point.
We can't prohibit everything that isn't legal.
and a picture isn't going to change anything.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #19
Donkey
Retired Administrator
 
Donkey's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 9, 2008
Location: England
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Does talking or driving do any harm to teenagers, who also happen to be the audience of this website? I know cigarettes and alcohol do.

It's not exactly a good look for the site.

Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #20
redcar
Retired Administrator
 
redcar's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 15, 2004
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 20
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Does talking or driving do any harm to teenagers, who also happen to be the audience of this website? I know cigarettes and alcohol do.

It's not exactly a good look for the site.
Do you really want me to find stats on how it is young males who are the people most likely to die driving?

Cigarettes aren't good for you but they are deeply part of society at this stage. Alcohol is ok in moderation.

So please using this arguement that it doesnt look good for the site is ridiculous. What if people come on and say "Oh I dont like the gays here, they make it look bad!" or "Yea I dont think Americans are really what the world want at the moment, so lets ban them!". Ridiculous eh? Same as this suggestion.

~ A L E X ~

||||||||||||
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org