Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1
Agent
Member+

Default Laughing at things that really are dramatic and/or sad

Does anyone laugh at things that are meant to be dramatic and/or sad? I laugh a lot to things that are meant to be sad. I once made up a story in my head, where a 10 year old boys parents go shopping and they leave him home. Then the boy burns their dog at a fireplace and when his parents come back he shoots them with a shotgun. I always start laughing when I think about it. I cant help it. I laugh even now.

And when someone reads a sad poet/story, like, lets say, in school and people are moved/sad because of the poet/story, I get very annoyed because everyone gets moved. I have never cried because of someones dead. My dog died, my cat runned away from home, my grandpa died and my father had a heart attack once. I didnt even felt slightly sad because of those things. I just felt neutral. Laughing, being nervous, being paranoid or neutral are the only emotions I have.
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM   #2
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Default Re: Laughing at things that really are dramatic and/or sad

I've heard of this before. Myself, I feel nothing, whether it's a happy or sad story, just numb. If I laugh, it's at a comedy (i.e. Family Guy) or for sadism.

For you, I think it's either restricted affect or blunted affect.

Also, and very important, is figuring out why you laugh at certain things and not at others. Without knowing that, then it will be harder to change (assuming you want to change it).

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Agent
Member+

I laugh at things like comedy movies, jokes, stupid faces etc.
But I also laugh at things that many people see as dramatic or sad.

I dont know why dramatic, violent etc. things make me laugh. Sometimes I get even in trouble because of it. I live in Finland and when the Jokela School Massacre happened, we had a silent moment for it in our school. I started laughing at the silent moment. I couldnt hold my laugh anymore. Teacher was angry as hell. And Im not going to kill anyone in school, if someone thinks so. I dont see a school massacre as hilariously funny(maybe slightly funny) thing, but it just makes me laugh.

Last edited by Agent; June 19th, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Reality
Banned

Name: You a stalker?

Haha. You're like me. I laugh at the most inappropriate times, I can't really help it I just do. I laugh whenever a teacher is going ballistic at everyone and the whole class drops silent. I must say I've had my fair share of trouble from this, though.

It tends to be dramatic things I laugh at, though, never sad things. But mind you, I only feel emotions for stories about childrens or animals deaths, never really anything else. But I don't laugh about massacres or anything like that.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph

This used to happen to me when I was unmedicated.

During the 9/11 3rd year anniversary moment of silence in school, I busted up laughing.

When I was little and my dad would yell, I would always crack up laughing and I didn't know why.

While watching a horror movie in theaters when I was 14, (I forget the name of it) I laughed. Didn't know why.

Sometimes still, I'll bust out into random laughter for no reason at all.

It just happens.

-shrug-

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #6
Agent
Member+

Goddamn, one person from my class told today that his uncle killed himself few days ago. I started laughing after holding my insane laugh for 2 minutes.
Sigh...
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #7
sam i am
Member+

sam i am's Forum Picture

Name: .

OMg ur just like me dude.I don't cry over things like death stuff like that my grandfather died too i didn't cry idc ....i remember when i was like 11 or 12 my dad slip on ice one morning when he was going to work and i didn't care i was like so that's life get over it. I'm a cancer(my sign) and Im emotional and stuff but when it comes to death and when people get hurt idc and i really hate it when some people say sorry i just don't like it when they say sorry because to me sorry doesn't matter. I think it's normal and it's not just u so don't worry about it dude k?
sam i am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Ella

My emotions are ridiculous.. I agree sad things always make me laugh hysterically and i Can't stop it.. but I also couldn't stop myself crying for over an hour yesterday just because I couldn't find my keys. Recently I've been thinking perhap I do this because I'm afraid of showing my true feelings, being too vunerable, I'm very hidden anyway.. so maybe its the same for you?

x
Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #9
bagel
Junior Member+

bagel's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Do you laugh because you think sad things are really funny, or do you laugh because you don't know what else to do? Sometimes when tragic things happen you might feel uncomfortable about the situation, so you laugh because you're not sure what to say, or maybe because your own discomfort seems silly to you.

Or maybe you laugh to get a reaction out of others? Do you laugh at sad things to draw attention to yourself? Maybe you don't realize it when you do it, if this is the case, but it could be possible.

If you really do laugh at the pain of other people because you think it's funny, you might want to consider seeing a psychologist. Despite the other people who said they are the same way, I don't think this is normal.

Whatever the case, it's important not to blame yourself or feel as though you are doing something wrong. We can't control our emotions, even when they're out of place.
bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #10
Agent
Member+

Im not quite sure why I laugh...
I really see some dramatic/sad things funny. Like, when there was this school massacre, I pictured the situation in my mind and started laughing because I thought it was funny as hell.

I also laughed when we watched Titanic in school. It was the scene where Titanic was sinking and people slide to the other end of Titanic. I laughed then. It really is a funny scene, seriously.

Last edited by Agent; June 19th, 2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #11
HelloWorld123456
Nice Poster

HelloWorld123456's Forum Picture

Name: John

lofl i laugh when somebody dies lofl sorry but even at a funeral i cant be serious ... xD

when somebody gets angry with me like my parents i burst out laughing hahaha it is so hilarious XD i could not hold it xD
and one time i laugh so hard i even farted hahahaha

I really feel ashamed of myself xD Even like the film titanic ... lofl The best comedy movie I have ever seen xD

The love that lasts the longest is the love that is never returned.
HelloWorld123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #12
orangecounty
Member++

orangecounty's Forum Picture

Name: Forgot

Yes, I can't tell my parents any sad news or anything to anyones face without laughing about it. Telling myself "DON'T LAUGH" usually just makes it more uncontrollable. My mom actually thinks I find it funny, which I don't...it is just something I do in sad situations. At my grandfathers funeral...I had to chew on a wax cup to keep myself from laughing or smiling next to my crying family...it's like my brain has sadness and facial expressions mixed up.

"After the game,
the king and the pawn go into the same box."
-Anonymous

orangecounty is offline   Reply With Quote