Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 28th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Shattered Soul

Name: Cathy

Hi, another forum section that I need, I hate my problems they're all probably interlinked and i'm worried people will think i'm making things up when i'm really not. My mind is just a mess.
Ok. It started when I was a kid. All of my food needed to be put on certain places on the plate, everything needed to be put in just the 'right' places in the room. I refused to take part in messy activites because they made me sticky and I used to twirl my hair until it became knotted and needed to be cut.
That was when I was a kid, now every room i go in has to be perfect. I get to class before everyone else so i can make sure the desks are in perfectly straight lines, the teachers desk needs to be in exactly the right place and there cannot be litter on the desks or floor otherwise I cant work in there - i also need to always be sat in exactly the same place in class, dont care if anyone else moves. I, also, absolutely cannot have liquid spill on me, especially on my sleeves - I have to drop everything im doing and go to the bathroom straight away to wash my hands/arms/sleeves coz it always feels sticky if something spills on me, even clean drinking water. When playing poker, i need to start off with the chips who's colour comes first alphabetically, then when i start getting other coloured chips they need to be placed in colour order and the colours need to be in alphabetical. I make other players do this to their chips aswell because I can't play otherwise. Every piece of work i've done for school at college hasn't been good enough for me because even if I get full marks, i don't believe it's perfect and cry coz i think im a complete failure due to this - my psychology teacher says i'm an extreme perfectionist. Another issue is that I have to read the instructions for taken any medication at least 4 times before I allow myself to take it (even if it's a commonly taken medicine like paracetamol), then i constantly worry that i've overdosed. The hair twirling as a child has turned into compulsive hair pulling, which i really hate coz i'm bullied about it and isn't just confined to pulling the hair on my head, it's eyebrows too. Found out recently that it has a name, Trichotillomania. I also fear stupid things will happen if I get any of this wrong, mainly that i'll be harmed, but also fear that isn't pinpointed at anything. If I clean up a room, i don't finish until hrs later until i'm sure everythings perfectly clean and in the right place. I've even spent 2 hrs moving everything in the kitchen into different places, their 'right' places.
My parents took me to the doctors to get the hair pulling sorted out a few yrs ago, she said just tell me not to do it.
Now my friends are really concerned and are urging my to see a doctor coz they think i have ocd. I should also mention that every member of my family has problems relating to the same chromosone: autism, asperger's symdrome, depression and bipolar disorder - ocd is linked to problems with this chromosone aswell.
What do you guys think? Should I go see my doctor? This is really causing me a lot of anxiety and takes up a lot of my time, it's driving my crazy.

xxCathyxx

thought i'd add that on the symptom checklist on the sticky, i ticked 25 of the symptoms - each vary from mild to severe. Didn't put them all in the original post as i dont like my posts being too long.

~ We've got to find the courage to live to fight another day. And remember, someone, somewhere is their holding your hand when you cry at night, fighting right beside you, and that person will help you hear the music of the world again. They will be the one to see not just the beauty of your eyes, but the beauty and wondor of the soul within you. ~

Last edited by Zephyr; May 3rd, 2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Double post, please use the edit button.
Shattered Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
thecanjump
Member++

thecanjump's Forum Picture

Name: Aaron
Default Re: *sigh* Another problem

Sry that I don't know much but I remember on tv that a person did things every close to what you do and he had some kind of disease. I'm not 100% sure but don't think I'm right but that's my say not fact, good day
thecanjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #3
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

I've said this over and over on these forums: do NOT self-diagnose. Fitting symptoms does not mean you have a certain disorder. You must meet the diagnostic criteria, and then have some symptoms. From what you have described, it does seem to fit with OCD, and trichillotomania and OCD can occur together as both involve repetitive, somewhat ritualized behaviors.

I suggest you visit a psychiatrist, psychologist or neuropsychologist and have them do a diagnosis.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Shattered Soul

ok, thank you. I wasn't self diagnosing, it's what my friends have said, and family and also my mum's friend who knows me but i didnt know she's a psychologist until recently. I will go to my doctor.
Also, please don't use that tone of writing with me, i'm very sensitive to it.

~ We've got to find the courage to live to fight another day. And remember, someone, somewhere is their holding your hand when you cry at night, fighting right beside you, and that person will help you hear the music of the world again. They will be the one to see not just the beauty of your eyes, but the beauty and wondor of the soul within you. ~
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #5
Hyper
VT Lover

Yes please do see a professional!

You seem to be able to analyze your own behaivours and explain why You have the urge to do them.. So I think if You find the right kind of help and really commit yourself, You can change, that is of course if You want to change.

I hope You do, life like that must be very uncomfortable.

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #6
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shattered Soul View Post
ok, thank you. I wasn't self diagnosing, it's what my friends have said, and family and also my mum's friend who knows me but i didnt know she's a psychologist until recently. I will go to my doctor.
Also, please don't use that tone of writing with me, i'm very sensitive to it.
I'm not sure what tone you're talking about, it seems fine to me.

The reason I mentioned self-diagnosing was this:

Quote:
on the symptom checklist on the sticky, i ticked 25 of the symptoms - each vary from mild to severe
Good luck on it.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #7
Shattered Soul

Jeez, i'm not even gonna effing bother anymore. I give up on this, and on life. Thought i'd get help here, instead I get someone who thinks they understand me and my vocabulary when I really use the wrong words to describe stuff.
Goodbye, i'm gone.

Old April 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Shattered Soul

oops. sorry, that was uncalled for. I'm a little irrational sometimes. Parents helping me see a psychologist, then i'll get my answer.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:45 AM   #9
cool person

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecanjump View Post
Sry that I don't know much but I remember on tv that a person did things every close to what you do and he had some kind of disease. I'm not 100% sure but don't think I'm right but that's my say not fact, good day
Please please please! YOu saw it on tv? give me a break. TV is completely inaccruate 90% of the time! Never use the tv for any sort of medical stuff.

I agree with the other poster, self-diagnosis generally doesn't work out. If you feel sufficiantly worried I would suggestion going to a spychiatrist and being checked out.

cool person is offline   Reply With Quote