Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Denise

Default mixed messages

my therapist sounds like she's suspicious i have ocd, and i know that i do, but i hear different stories on the effectiveness of medication. some people over the internet say it barely helped them, and others say it helped them alot. i hope it works for me, because i absolutely cannot think my unwanted thoughts through ERP. those thoughts are out of the question. how does medication for ocd work for you?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: mixed messages

Hmmm......your therapist should be able to diagnose you pretty accurately, I'm not sure what sure where 'suspicion' comes into it. If she's unsure, maybe she should refer you for psychological testing by a Ph. D. psychologist, which would confirm the diagnosis with some accuracy.

OCD, when properly and accurately diagnosed, is well controlled with medications. Actaully, one of the ways it is diagnosed in reverse is to put someone on it and see if they respond. So, if you know of people who have been (mis)diagnosed as OCD and didn't respond to the typical meds, then it's more indicative of them being wrongly diagnosed.

Diagnosis by a qualified, experienced professional is pretty straightforward, and if there's some doubt, there's always psych testing, which might be pursued to accurately identify whatever you've got. If it's OCD, youll probably respond nicely to meds.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

I've always felt the diagnosing should be left to the psychiatrists or psychologists (or neuropsychologists, etc...). A therapist could diagnose someone, however, they're job isn't to diagnose (usually), it's to treat the disorder using a variety of methods. I've never taken medication for OCD, however, I think they have a decent success rate, although they have a high chance of addiction if used for long-term treatment (for benzodiazepines), so that can be one problem.

I'd see a psychiatrist or psychologist, have some tests done and see the results. The tests themselves are not a diagnosis, but rather they're used in formulating the diagnosis or support the clinician's thoughts on which disorder(s) may be present.

IAMSAM, why did you say by a Ph.D. psychologist? Psychologists can have Ph.D.s or Psy.Ds.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #4
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

I stand corrected, INFERNO, a psychologist can have either a Ph.D., or a Psy.D. ('Doctor of Psychology'). My point was to alert the OP to the "D" credential which indicates a level of proficiency required to perform and interpret testing.

As an FYI, typicaly Benzo's are not used to treat OCD, SSRI's are, which carry no risk of addcition/dependence.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Medication is a successful treatment for the majority of people who have OCD. Some people will find that they don't benefit.

The best way to approach this would be to see someone who can diagnose you. If they diagnose you with OCD then it would probably be in your best interests to try medication in addition to a talking therapy.

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote