Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #1
aspiechick2008

aspiechick2008's Forum Picture

Default Does anybody else here have Aspergers syndrome???

Hi

I am 17 years old with aspergers syndrome,
i was wondering if their was anybody else on here
with aspergers syndrome

Smile

Laterz
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
Hyper
VT Lover

Default Re: Does anybody else here have Aspergers syndrome???

I know there are some active members who do.. But I honestly can't name them atm

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Jean Poutine's Forum Picture

Name: Tony

I have Asperger's Syndrome. (I, myself, prefer the term "Assburger's", because I like auto-derision).

It's a pretty pants condition and I don't enjoy it in the slightest, but it does make an interesting convo subject. I wonder every day how it is to think/react "normally", but knowing my luck I'd probably hate being normal so I suppose it's best to stick with what I know.

I'm considering telling my classes about my...different brain wiring, so they don't automatically write me off as cold or distant. I'm pretty open about it so it's not a question of whether or not I'm scared to go forward, it's more like a question of if I do want the attention and/or the shit that'll bring to me or not. I want friends, but I don't want them to hang with me out of pity..."OH LOOK POOR HANDICAPPED GUY".

Such a dilemma.

Anyway, my Assburger's consists in all the crap about non-verbal language difficulties, and I have pretty huge organisational problems as well (I gotta carry a Palm), and obsessive interests. I have no problem with spoken language, other than a verbose delivery and a monotone voice. I have a sense of humour, slight, but it's there. I cannot look into the eyes of anyone. I have a degree of alexithymia, etc, etc, bla bla bla.

Jean Poutine, LL.B.

Last edited by Jean Poutine; February 23rd, 2009 at 01:57 AM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Destiny&Desire

Destiny&Desire's Forum Picture

I don't have Asperger's myself, but my brother does, so I understand some of the concepts of it =]
x x x

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” - Nelson Mandela
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Destiny&Desire

Destiny&Desire's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchimata View Post
but I don't want them to hang with me out of pity..."OH LOOK POOR HANDICAPPED GUY".
I've found that with things like Aspergers and other learning disabilities, people don't notice their differences as much as they would to say...someone with a physical disability (sorry if that's spelt wrong).

I think it's the fact that with things like Aspergers, you might not know that someone has it just by looking at them, because I know that most people with learning disabilities/mental issues (I don't like to use words like 'illness' or 'disorder' when I refer to people with things like Aspergers, etc.).

It's just the fact that everyone expects people with disabilities to have some sort of physical problem. But not all of them do.

I guess it's just the world's stereotypes?

“There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” - Nelson Mandela
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Maybe I should just trust humankind a little more and jump the boat and hope nobody pities me RIGHT.

Maybe I'll take the plunge tomorrow. *shrug*

BTW I have a physical problem. I have a particular gait (I refer to it as "Assburger's Nine Dragons Secret Walking Style") and a lack of depth perception that's finally not because of my eyes, but because of the way we percieve the world, ie flat. So Aspeger's robs me not only of friends but also of any driving skills darnit. Oh well I'm stuck with it so might as well laugh about it.

Asperger's : viewing everything flat in every domain.

Jean Poutine, LL.B.
Old December 26th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #7
Raptor22
Nice Poster

Raptor22's Forum Picture

Name: C

Quote:
Maybe I should just trust humankind a little more and jump the boat and hope nobody pities me RIGHT.

Maybe I'll take the plunge tomorrow. *shrug*

BTW I have a physical problem. I have a particular gait (I refer to it as "Assburger's Nine Dragons Secret Walking Style") and a lack of depth perception that's finally not because of my eyes, but because of the way we percieve the world, ie flat. So Aspeger's robs me not only of friends but also of any driving skills darnit. Oh well I'm stuck with it so might as well laugh about it.

Asperger's : viewing everything flat in every domain.
Thats really interesting how you can describe it so coherently and vividly that I can understand what it is like. I would have never guessed.

Its actually pretty cool, it makes you, you.
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #8
lengthy_brochure
Member+

me has it

i speak wierd, have a funny walk, run into things, dont think before I act, and am not that organized.
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:03 AM   #9
lesher

lesher's Forum Picture

Name: David

According to several psychology book I've read, I'm quite sure I have this syndrome

DVD-Lesher is who I am, my nickname, myself
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Kaius
Banned

Name: Aaron

I've got a form of it, Semantic Pragmatic Disorder
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Botchy

Botchy's Forum Picture

Name: Charlie
Location: My head,My room,My house,Harrow drive,Portsmouth,England,Europe,Eurasia,Earth...you get the point

I have it and it dosent affct my day to day life much yes I'm not the best In starting convos but i'm not the worst. I'm geesing having this explanes why I'm so nervos when metting new people i hate it can't talk to them look them In the euy etc etc,once I know them i'm fine tho

Remember what life is. An amazing journey....as long as you dont take a worng turn
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:59 PM   #12
Icarus7

Icarus7's Forum Picture

Name: Charlie

Quote:
I have Asperger's Syndrome. (I, myself, prefer the term "Assburger's", because I like auto-derision).

It's a pretty pants condition and I don't enjoy it in the slightest, but it does make an interesting convo subject. I wonder every day how it is to think/react "normally", but knowing my luck I'd probably hate being normal so I suppose it's best to stick with what I know...

...Anyway, my Assburger's consists in all the crap about non-verbal language difficulties, and I have pretty huge organisational problems as well (I gotta carry a Palm), and obsessive interests. I have no problem with spoken language, other than a verbose delivery and a monotone voice. I have a sense of humour, slight, but it's there. I cannot look into the eyes of anyone. I have a degree of alexithymia, etc, etc, bla bla bla.
I think i have some sort of Asperger but I'm not sure...Thanks for the description i will look for more info about it
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

A lot of people think I'm on the Autistic Spectrum, I do have many of the symptoms, but I have no official diagnosis of it.

I had a friend, we were quite close, who had Autism.
He didn't seem to have it at all.
He was very friendly, polite, he acted like a pretty cool teenager, like any other.
He was in a special needs school, however, so of course he wouldn't act as other teenagers do, he did have difficulties & it did show at times.
But still, I was quite shocked & surprised he told me he had Autism.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:34 PM   #14
Pube

Name: Jerry

i have it
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #15
kollkolen

Name: kollkolen

While I don't have Aspergers Syndrome, I do have:
Aneurysm(Brain)
Depression(caused by the hydrocephalus)
Epilepsy(caused by the operations for the aneurysm and hydrocephalus)
Hydrocephalus(caused my the aneurysm)
I have had these since birth so, you are not alone.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #16
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

^^ How is that related to AS if I may ask?

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #17
Sith Lord 13
The Force

Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

I do.
What's everyone's opinion on having it? The best part? The worst?

And the biggest question, if you could take some cure, would you?

I think this sums up my opinion on the matter.

I love the X-men. I know they can represent any minority group, but I feel it is a pretty allegory for AS and neuro-atypicals in general.
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #18
Bels_Revenge

Bels_Revenge's Forum Picture

Name: Bella

My brother has it, Its really sad because all he want to do is be like everyone else... sorry i couldnt help

I said that I don't need you, But I'm a liar I swear I do, I do
♥...baby i didnt know love untill i met you...♥
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:45 AM   #19
Sith Lord 13
The Force

Sith Lord 13's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bels_Revenge View Post
My brother has it, Its really sad because all he want to do is be like everyone else... sorry i couldnt help
How old is your brother? Perhaps you can help him by pointing out some of the more positive aspects of AS. Yes we're different than other people, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many famous people, like Einstein, either were diagnosed with or most likely had AS.

Life can be tough at times, but there is usually something good you can focus on. All you have to do is find it.
Old April 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM   #20
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
How old is your brother? Perhaps you can help him by pointing out some of the more positive aspects of AS. Yes we're different than other people, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many famous people, like Einstein, either were diagnosed with or most likely had AS.

Life can be tough at times, but there is usually something good you can focus on. All you have to do is find it.
we're not "different", we're "handicapped". a person with down syndrome isn't different, he's fucking crippled for life. he's mentally retarded as we are socially retarded.

you think it's a good thing to be unable to relate to anyone, to be unable to feel love for those you are supposed to care for, or maybe you feel it but you'd be damned if you know because your emotions are all unreadable and entangled? or maybe, of course, you think it's a good thing to barely function normally in a classroom, to not open your damned mouth for days at a time?

boy, i don't know what kind of pansy autism you've got, but unless you have the good luck of being an idiot savant, having this condition is a portion of hell i could have done without in my life.

btw there is absolutely no proof that einstein had asperger syndrome. you can claim all sorts of geniuses had autism if it makes you feel better about your condition, i suppose, but don't take it for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
I do.
What's everyone's opinion on having it? The best part? The worst?

And the biggest question, if you could take some cure, would you?

I think this sums up my opinion on the matter.

I love the X-men. I know they can represent any minority group, but I feel it is a pretty allegory for AS and neuro-atypicals in general.
there is no best part. the worst part is being stuck among people you cannot understand and who cannot understand you. i know it sounds like typical emo teen shit but it's true for me.

it stinks to never be sure of what you feel, unable to describe the emotions inside you, never being able to relate with others, for good or for bad. i have no healthy relationships with people. because of my differences, they are always kept at arm's reach. perfect for certain jobs where getting too involved with people is not good, but shitty for everyday life.

i would take a cure in a heartbeat. those who say they wouldn't are so used to their mundanities and their weaknesses that they don't see the problem.

sites like wrong planet and movements like the "autism rights" thing do not speak for every autistic person.

as for allegories, i like the "alien crashed on earth" one.

Jean Poutine, LL.B.
Closed Thread