Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Old January 25th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
triplethreat40
Junior Member+

triplethreat40's Forum Picture

Question How to get Help...

So basically I think I'm schizo. I was really annoyed that I could never find the sources of these sounds, but then when I asked other people, they say that they didn't hear them. So I did a disgusting amount of research, and I really think I am schizophrenic. But I don't want to be put in some psyciatrists office and put on drugs. I don't want everyone looking at me like i'm mental. I really don't want to have to convince my mom that I might be mentally ill. But what happens when I start hearing things that I can't prove don't exist? What if I am convinced my dreams are real for more than half of a day? What if I start seeing people getting shot instead of just hearing it?

I don't know what to do. Would the school psycologist be able to give me a confidentail screening perhaps? Would anything go on my record?!?!?!
triplethreat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: How to get Help...

Well, it's unclear if you're actually schizophrenic, you seem to be rather in touch with reality, which would suggest that eventhough there might be something distressing going on for you, it might not be schizophrenia.

The only way to get an accurate diagnosis (and treatment) is to get to a qualified mental health professional like a psychologist or psychiatrist. If there's someone in school who can facillitate that, it's a very good idea to let them help you. It would not appear on your record (it's a non school issue), and, again, it's unclear what a doctor would do, medication is just one option.

Don't get too far ahead of the story here, get to a doc and see what's going on.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #3
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

First, don't self-diagnose. You may or may not be schizophrenic but reading up on it and seeing if you fit the criteria has a risk of making you mold yourself to fit, even if you don't intend to mold yourself.

I have visual and auditory hallucinations and, to me they're quite real. To others, they're not because they cant see them. Lots of the time they seem to be perfectly real, to be part of reality yet they just seem so unusual, I know that they cant possibly be real yet they're right there.

As for the school psychologist, I'm not sure. There's not really a good treatment for schizophrenia that doesn't involve meds. Some talking therapies and such can help with coping or ignoring the hallucinations but they don't make them go away.

To get diagnosed, it's best to talk to family also. You get the patient's view (yours) but you have to consider a) are they telling the truth , b) how are they perceived by others (psychologist hasn't seen you before so getting other people's inputs on you would help in diagnosing). Also, I'm assuming you've come across this in your research but have you heard of the Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF)?

If not, then here's a quick lesson in abnormal psychology. There are 5 axis to diagnosing a person, and the GAF is considered Axis V (use roman numerals for the axis numbers). The GAF is a scale the shows how affected your functioning in life is by a disorder(s). It's too much to type but if you google it, you should find it. There's other tests or criteria to meet that lead to the score found on the GAF. Once again, google them. I'm in 2nd year university, and 1 of the courses is abnormal psychology, and part of this course gives us a very very small book of a few disorders straight from DSM-IV-TR (the newest one).

I'm assuming you've looked up the DSM-IV-TR criteria for schizophrenia. What makes you think you have it and what type do you think you have (i.e. undifferentiated, paranoid, catatonic, disorganized, or inherited)? I don't know your symptoms but it may not be schizophrenia. A great way to test is get an EEG or MRI as the MRI will show clear abnormalities in the brain. It could also be psychosis from bipolar, delusional disorder (which is NOT schizophrenia as it doesn't meet Criteria A). Criteria A isn't too much typing so here it is:

A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less is successfully treated):
1) Delusions
2) Hallucinations
3) Disorganized speech (i.e. frequent derailment or incoherence)
4) Grossly inorganized or catatonic behavior
5) Negative symptoms (i.e. affective flattening, alogia or avolition)

For Delusional Disorder, the above criteria isn't met. The exception: if the hallucinations (tactile and olfactory, or touch and smell) are present if they are related to the delusional theme. Of course, there's a small list of the types of delusional disorders.

If you are to see the school psychologist, I don't know their policies. Schizophrenia is considered a fairly severe disorder so they may contact the parents or tell you to see someone else.

Lastly, and this one is important: your functioning, hygeine, etc... may decline noticably.
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
Skeln
Great Poster

Skeln's Forum Picture

Name: Bobby

Trust me, take it frm someone who knows three schitzophrinics (parents plus a friend). You are not officially schizophrenic. either you must suffer from two of the following symptoms:
delusions
prominent halucinations lasting more than a few moments
incoherance or marked loosening of association
catatonic behavior
flat or grossly inappropriate affect

Either two of those or bizzare delusions lasting more than a few moments, invoving totally implausible beliefs
Prominent hallucinations of a voice commenting about you r conversating with another voice

with the symptoms you have now you are not a schitzo. But you really are concerned, go to a doctor. If going to a last resort, get a brain scan. there is a physical difference in the brain of a schizophrenic.
Skeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5
triplethreat40
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
I'm assuming you've looked up the DSM-IV-TR criteria for schizophrenia. What makes you think you have it and what type do you think you have (i.e. undifferentiated, paranoid, catatonic, disorganized, or inherited)? I don't know your symptoms

I must be a pretty crudy researcher, because I have never heard of
DSM-IV-TR.

so "symptoms":
1. As for "halucinations" lasting over a few moments, I spent 3 hours yesterday crying over my dead cat. Apparently we have never had a cat. Actually, I hate cats.
And I've been convinced that one of my friends has died only to see them at school.
2. I hear the doorbell and the phone ringing. There's no one at the door, and noone on the phone. I thought I was subject to a disgusting amount of pranks before I learned that my Mom didn't hear the phone when I did. I also hear music and can't find the source. It's really distracting because it is all screwy and messed up. Some times I'll hear screaming and a gunshot. Screaming more often. Again, noone else heard it. So I figure I'm either in touch with the other side or mental.
3. I've started smelling really strong scents that are out of place. But that could just be that I almost always reek of chlorine (dive team).
4. My phone buzzes and it didn't get a text. I am assuming that my phone is just retarded because it has a really powerfull buzzer and that would be hard to mistake unless something really is wrong with me.
5. I don't like people. I don't see anything wrong with this, but I read some old diarys and apparently I used to always need to be around friends. I like to spend most of my time alone. not that I find anything wrong with this, but it is a big change I guess.
6. I don't sleep very well. meaning hardly at all.
7. I've started talking less because often people have no idea what i'm talking about. They say i'm being hopelessly random and how does that even make sence etc.

This is just off the top of my head why I thought I might be schitzophrensic.
thanks for helping.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:19 AM   #6
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

The DSM-IV-TR is the criteria used mostly in North America. In Europe, it's usually the World Health Organization (WHO) but some of the disorders have slightly different criteria. If you look in a DSM-IV-TR or online, and it has some sequence of numbers or letters next to the name, that's the reference for the WHO.

1. This is a delusion, not hallucination.
2. This could be a hallucination or there's a sound that sounds like the doorbell or phone, or something like tinnitus (ringing in the ears).
3. This could also be a hallucination.
4. Your phone is weird so I'm ignoring this one.
5. What is your thought of people or why do you not like them? If you dislike them, there probably is a reason. Also, how old are you?
6. Sleeping problems are common with numerous disorders but still good to know.
7. You'll have to explain this more. What is it that you say to people?

If you do look online for criteria of DSM-IV-TR or WHO, remember, you don't need all the criteria, only a certain amount. Therefore, you can be schizophrenic (not saying you are) and so can I (which I am) yet both of us have completely different symptoms.

These are some standard questions but, ever done drugs or currently on drugs? Do any family members have schizophrenia or any mental disorder or substance abuse problem? How long have these symptoms been going on for and how long do they last? How's your mood in general?

The issue is that these hallucinations (phone ringing, etc...) may not be hallucinations that a schizophrenic would have.

However, do get a brain scan (MRI or EEG are common ones).
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:13 PM   #7
triplethreat40
Junior Member+

Well, I just guess I've become a not social person. I am really quick to see the worst in people, and the little things just tick me off beyond belief. I just like to be by myself, or maybe with a good friend.

I am 14 (not to sound stupid, but 14 and a half) I know adolesent schitzoprenia is pretty rare, around 1% right? but nonethe less, it's a bit freaky.

Talking to people i'll just be trying to have a normal conversation, or maybe a debate in class. Instead of all my ideas just flowing out in a chain that I just add on to, the words just kindof barf. All of what I want to say comes at one time, and I have to figure out how to say it all before i forget ( like i said, my memory stinks). As a result, it really make no sence. I'll forget where i'm taking something, and apparently I just ramble the same thing over and over. I'll jump from topic to another closely related topic, and people will not be able to follow me at all. I have to type this in a word document and go over it a few times before posing so you know what i'm trying to say. I have trouble expressing myself in words. I joke that I don't need to learn another language because of my extreme usage of hand gestures and sound effects

Not on drugs, and only done legal ones when sick
Family not schitzo, but I don't know about anything else. Any family more distant than my parents I don't really know mutch about. at all. But from what I do know, I wouldn't be surprised. Some serious smokers.

I have no idea when this started, mostly because I thought it all was real up untill a certain point.

Mood: changes from being on top of the world, to really really depressed. been kindof in the middle lately. Mostly i just feel in a blur, nothing standing out.

So you think I should see about a brain scan?!?!?! I haven't even told anybody. I dont' really think it's that much of a big deal...
is it?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM   #8
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

Well, one thing that slapped me in the face about that post was the rapidly changing moods. How long do these mood changes last for and how long have they been going on for? Also, any history in the family of changing moods?

Overall, it sounds more like bipolar to me (not sure what type yet).

For schizophrenia, in the DSM-IV-TR, there's a bunch of criteria and one of them is... (this is straight from it):

D. Schizoaffective and Mood Disorder exclusion: Schizoaffective Disorder and Mood Disorder With Psychotic Features have been ruled out because either (1) no Major Depressive, Manic or Mixed Episodes have occurred concurrently with active-phase symptoms; or (2) if mood episodes have occurred during active-phase symptoms, their total duration has been brief relative to the duration of the active and residual periods.

In simple terms, you need to get certain types of mood disorders ruled out in order to have schizophrenia. Since the symptoms you listed before are very uncharacteristic and are doubtful to be schizophrenia, I'm more leaning to bipolar or some other mood disorder. But, this is all based off of what you're tying. For a diagnosis, ideally the person has to meet you and conduct it face-to-face (no I'm not wanting to meet you).

Go to a doctor and mention what you said in this whole thread.

A brain scan would be more suited to schizophrenia, which I'm doubting you have.