Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM   #1
chucknorrisrules
Junior Member+

chucknorrisrules's Forum Picture

Default Yet another OCD thread.

I hate to do this, but I would like to know if I show any signs of OCD, not a diagnosis.

- I like to take 2 steps per street sidewalk square. If I don't, I often get aggravated with myself and feel that something bad may happen.

- I like to keep anything I don't know is clean, cleaned. My TV remote, keyboard, mouse, and other things I use daily are cleaned and disinfected at least once a day, more if someone else uses them (if I allow it). Usually if I can't clean something, I'll just completely refuse to use it until I can clean it or have it cleaned.

- I hate having a dirty space, I'm always picking up trash which makes me need gloves or more hand sanitizer because of the clean issue, as stated above.

- I have some pretty bad trust issues and get really uncomfortable and fidgety around just about anyone.

- I often find myself checking multiple times to make sure a door is locked and that my stove is off repeatedly before going to sleep, or I won't be able to sleep.

- I shave every day even though there isn't much to shave and if I don't well, I always do.

- I always correct people's spelling. I hate seeing bad grammar. Seeing or hearing the incorrect use of a word or using a word that isn't real just makes me correct them or else I feel horrible.

These problems have been affecting me quite a lot these past few months, and if I don't follow these annoying rituals, I feel as if I'm just going to fall apart (sounds weird, I know). Hoping to get some helpful responses. Thanks for your time.

Justin AKA Justian

You want help? I'll do what I can for ya!

Last edited by chucknorrisrules; January 1st, 2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Had to capitalize an 'I'
chucknorrisrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: Yet another OCD thread.

Well, you're right we can't diagnose you online. However, regardless of whatever we call your symptoms, by your own admission, you're going to 'fall apart' if you don't engage in them. That's a pretty strong term, so based on that, I'd think seeing a doc would be in order here.

I'm assuming your folks know about these needs of yours? If not, tell them, and share with them how they get in your way and ask them to find a therapist to evauate it.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
chucknorrisrules
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
Well, you're right we can't diagnose you online. However, regardless of whatever we call your symptoms, by your own admission, you're going to 'fall apart' if you don't engage in them. That's a pretty strong term, so based on that, I'd think seeing a doc would be in order here.

I'm assuming your folks know about these needs of yours? If not, tell them, and share with them how they get in your way and ask them to find a therapist to evauate it.
My parents broke up when I was a bit younger and I only live with my mom. I've tried alerting her about the feelings that I have if I don't follow these rituals and she just brushes it off like I'm exaggerating or just looking for an excuse to get out of school. Any advice on how to convince her to bring me to a therapist about this?

Justin AKA Justian

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM   #4
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknorrisrules View Post
My parents broke up when I was a bit younger and I only live with my mom. I've tried alerting her about the feelings that I have if I don't follow these rituals and she just brushes it off like I'm exaggerating or just looking for an excuse to get out of school. Any advice on how to convince her to bring me to a therapist about this?
2 approaches:
First, continue the convo beyond her brushing it off. Be detailed and specific about what's going on (the behaviors), as well as your feelings about them, and how they're interferring . make it clear it is not about faking or otherwise get out of your responsibilities or committments. Sometimes, it takes more than a sentence or two to accurately convey the info your mom needs to appreciate that it's more serious that faking. Stay with it, and see if you can't get her to appreciate your perspective, and if it doesn't work, come back to it on a later day. Keep at it.

The other approach is to talk with your guidance counsellor at school, or if there's one, the school psychologist or social worker. Parents can often hear things from other adults, esp. if they're trained, that they can't accept from their kids. The tact would be the same here, be very clear about your symtoms and your feelings, as well as the need to talk with someone professionally outside of school. See if you can't get them to intervene with mom on your behalf.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #5
chucknorrisrules
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
2 approaches:
First, continue the convo beyond her brushing it off. Be detailed and specific about what's going on (the behaviors), as well as your feelings about them, and how they're interferring . make it clear it is not about faking or otherwise get out of your responsibilities or committments. Sometimes, it takes more than a sentence or two to accurately convey the info your mom needs to appreciate that it's more serious that faking. Stay with it, and see if you can't get her to appreciate your perspective, and if it doesn't work, come back to it on a later day. Keep at it.

The other approach is to talk with your guidance counsellor at school, or if there's one, the school psychologist or social worker. Parents can often hear things from other adults, esp. if they're trained, that they can't accept from their kids. The tact would be the same here, be very clear about your symtoms and your feelings, as well as the need to talk with someone professionally outside of school. See if you can't get them to intervene with mom on your behalf.
Alright, thank you. Once school comes back into session, I'll talk to my guidance counselor. I've tried getting into detail with my mom and she thinks it's quite a big load, no matter how detailed I get. Thanks again, and I'll try to provide the results as soon as I know.

Justin AKA Justian

Old January 7th, 2009, 04:13 AM   #6
chucknorrisrules
Junior Member+

Update:

Spoke to my school nurse, I was more comfortable speaking with her. My mother came to school today and after they conversed for about a half an hour, she realized that I need to seek the help of a therapist. Going tomorrow, hoping to get good results!

Also, it seems as times get more stressful, the worse the symptoms become. Lately, it's been pretty bad, not many things going right and things are becoming much less tolerable. Symptoms getting much worse.

Justin AKA Justian