Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Should negative rep be disabled?
Yes 19 43.18%
No 23 52.27%
Abstain 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #1
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

Default Should negative rep be disabled?

In response to Lauren's thread I would just like to see what the overall consensus is.

Old September 16th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #2
Bobby
Legendary Member

Bobby's Forum Picture

Name: Bobby
Default Re: Should negative rep be disabled?

No. If people are that upset by something someone says on the internet - well, I don't know. It's not good.

"Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war."
-John McCain
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Aηdy
Banned

Aηdy's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

I'm going to say no. I don't care too much about receiving negative rep any more. It doesn't bother me so much. And it's not currently causing any major problem.
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Falk 'Ace' Flyer
Nice Poster

Falk 'Ace' Flyer's Forum Picture

I think you should. For a lot of people, it can be degrading to see that someone thought negatively of them, depending on the subject. Also, I've had people down rep me for stupid reasons, such as making a joke. As all of you may know, I don't really care what my rep is, because I know that, for the most part, people like me. Therefore, my opinion may not have much validity, however I do know that people may feel bad about what they said afterwards.

Too people who are disappointed with their bad rep: chill. It's an online site where people may disagree with you. So what if someone thought your comment was inappropriate? If only one person says something, clearly it's not a big deal.

Why does a chicken coop only have two doors?

Looking for a good time? Of course you are! Wanna make $10 the easy way? Me too! So take a gander at my awesome blog and enjoy yourself, champ; you deserve it!

Last edited by Falk 'Ace' Flyer; September 16th, 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

I think we should disable it, because in the end what's going to happen is that arguments are going to be caused.

I've been on forums that have a rep system, and several of them have had only positive rep. And there are never any arguments over it. It just makes for a more friendly community, if only by a little.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Underground_Network
Divide By Hero

Underground_Network's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

All I have to say is that if we disable negative rep, we should disable positive rep as well.

~Adam~
I'm way too high (too high too high)
To be feeling this dry and low
I'm way too tired, I've tried
I'm fired up and ready to roll
Letís go
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
RaisingSand
Awesome Poster

Name: Lauren.

How do you figure that? The positive rep system isn't being abused -- that is being used for it's intended purpose.

~~ LAUREN ~~

A word is just a word, until you mean what you say. And love isn't love until you give it away ... shine a light, send it on.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
Sugaree
Friend of the Devil

Sugaree's Forum Picture

Name: Matty

I'm in favor for this. But, Adam has a very good point. If we disable negative rep, then we'd have to stop positive rep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter.Tomorrow View Post
Hello again VirtualTeen. you blackhole.

No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has
Amused itself to death
Last.FM
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #9
RaisingSand
Awesome Poster

Um ... read the topic again people. NO WE WOULDN'T.

~~ LAUREN ~~

A word is just a word, until you mean what you say. And love isn't love until you give it away ... shine a light, send it on.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #10
Aηdy
Banned

Aηdy's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirthofFifth View Post
I'm in favor for this. But, Adam has a very good point. If we disable negative rep, then we'd have to stop positive rep.
No we wouldn't. Positive rep has nothing to do with this.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #11
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

It is possible to have only negative rep disabled.

The thing is, all negative rep is doing is providing cannon fodder for arguments and debates over it. Who is going to argue and fight over someone giving them positive rep?

"Admins! He gave me positive rep! Help me!"

In short, only disabling negative rep will keep the rep system we so love and adore, but get rid of arguments and complaints.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #12
Underground_Network
Divide By Hero

This is a balanced system and we have to acknowledge that both far ends of the system [negative and positive rep] have been [are being] abused. If anything, positive rep is abused more than negative rep. People give positive rep for the stupidest things. And to my awareness [though I could be completely wrong], if someone gives you negative rep and it TRULY isn't deserved you can get it removed. But anyways, if you take away negative rep, but leave only positive rep, the system gets fucked. Only good posts receive reputation, and no matter how you look at it, reputation does not only go one way. It should be able to go down. If someone says something out of extreme ignorance or arrogance, their reputation should be tarnished. A reputation is not always good. Keep that in mind. If you don't want to receive negative rep, be wary of what you post. There are always assholes out there. It works the same way in the real world. Someone could tarnish your reputation by spreading lies, just like on here someone could give you negative rep just because they feel like it. You've just gotta deal with it.

~Adam~
Letís go
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:13 PM   #13
RaisingSand
Awesome Poster

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=30118

PLEASE READ PROPERLY BEFORE CASTING YOUR VOTE.

~~ LAUREN ~~

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Sugaree
Friend of the Devil

Sugaree's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
Um ... read the topic again people. NO WE WOULDN'T.
Sorry, but who died and made you the decision maker for VT? If we only have a postive rep system then that just wouldn't make sense. We should disable the negative rep because that's what starts fights on here.

But, if we do that, then what's the point in keeping a positive system? I could see the negative rep system is taken away then that would stop fighting. But, if we disable that and someone can't give negative rep to a user, then what happens? More fighting. Users would be dumb enough to start threads on it or bash them through PM or the shout box if possible.

Quote:

No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has
Amused itself to death
Last.FM
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #15
Falk 'Ace' Flyer
Nice Poster

Falk 'Ace' Flyer's Forum Picture

I think we should get rid of both. Do you guys who have ump-teen bars really feel special for it?

Why does a chicken coop only have two doors?

Looking for a good time? Of course you are! Wanna make $10 the easy way? Me too! So take a gander at my awesome blog and enjoy yourself, champ; you deserve it!
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #16
RaisingSand
Awesome Poster

If you don't want to receive negative rep, be wary of what you post.

Are you saying we shouldn't post our personal opinions and views? It doesn't work that way Adam, and you know it. I've recieved negative reputation for saying I oppose gay marriage. Positive rep -- that system is not being abused. This poll is about NEGATIVE reputation. Let's try and keep it that way.

~~ LAUREN ~~

Old September 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #17
Aηdy
Banned

Aηdy's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirthofFifth View Post
Sorry, but who died and made you the decision maker for VT? If we only have a postive rep system then that just wouldn't make sense. We should disable the negative rep because that's what starts fights on here.

But, if we do that, then what's the point in keeping a positive system? I could see the negative rep system is taken away then that would stop fighting. But, if we disable that and someone can't give negative rep to a user, then what happens? More fighting. Users would be dumb enough to start threads on it or bash them through PM or the shout box if possible.
Many sites I am a member of only have positive rep. It's like the vBulletin thanks system, you can give thanks but not take them away. It would be the same with negative rep. People will then only get rep for the good they do, they they don't deserve rep then don't give it to them.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #18
The Batman
Banned

Name: Thomdam

I think negative rep should be abolished. It is seriously being abused and i think it should be stopped. Positive rep is good, you rep on good posts and the person gets a warm fuzzy feeling inside, but negative rep on the other hand makes you feel as if your doing something wrong, the site is out to get you, or that your just not good enough for the site. I think instead of giving members the power to virtually chastise members we should only have the power to reward each other for good posts.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Sugaree
Friend of the Devil

Sugaree's Forum Picture

Once again, another back seat mod you are Lauren

Adam brings up what we need to be thinking. People can give you negative rep just because they feel like it. That's the abuse for that half of the system. When people give positive rep for someone who has just gotten 2500 posts, then that's abusing because the post has no meaning for positive rep. Positive rep is only for posts that give advice and are helpfull and not for things like "I just got my 15th rep bar" or what ever post count accomplishment a user has.

So Lauren you can't say the positive one isn't being abused because it is. You're not looking at it the way you should.

Quote:

No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has
Amused itself to death
Last.FM

Last edited by Sugaree; September 16th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Underground_Network
Divide By Hero

Also, as Matt said, negative rep is a way of taking frustration out on a user that say, insulted you or diminished something you said [without good reason] without making it public or making a scene. By ridding the site of negative rep, you're opening up more chances for arguments and obstructions to the positive VT community. With that will come more infractions, then more freezings, and possibly more bannings.

EDIT: Positive rep is constantly abused, more often than negative rep. I know I've repped people who have given me positive rep in return just for the hell of it. I also know there are people on here who rep other people for hitting milestones in posts, like 500 posts or 1,000 posts, which is not what the rep system is for. There are even people on here who rep other people for getting more rep. What kind of sense does that make? I know I've also repped certain users just because I appreciate them, even if it wasn't for a post that was repworthy, which, in a sense, is abuse of the rep system.

~Adam~
Letís go

Last edited by Underground_Network; September 16th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Closed Thread