Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Should we still allow accomplishment threads? Do you support my idea?
We should allow them; I don't support the idea 12 35.29%
We should NOT allow them; I don't support the idea 3 8.82%
We should NOT allow them; I support the idea 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Default Still allow accomplishment threads?

Should we still allow these?

It's come to the point now where we aren't just seeing Rep Blocks and Post Count accomplishments. We're seeing threads about just about everything...Rep Blocks, Rep Power, post count accomplishments, and now, shoutbox posts.

One thing about Rep Power is that it can change 4 times in a week or so. In fact, that's what happened to me. It went up because I was here a year, then it went up because I got 400 rep points, and then again just yesterday when I reached 5,000 posts, and [edit] just now I got some more Rep and now I have 19 Rep Power when a week ago I had 15

and the thing about shoutbox posts is that it can change drastically every single day, and Kiros has been known to prune the shoutbox every once-in-awhile, making everybody's "accomplishment" go back to zero and the wave of threads comes in again.

Here's a statement by Alex in the previous thread proposing an alternative to "accomplishment threads":

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
I personally think this wave of bragging will pass as quick as it started.
This hasn't been the case since now people are coming up with new things to use as "accomplishments"

and in fact, LightinDarkness made a very good point in a recent thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightxInxDarkness View Post
I bet the next one is going to be "I just joined the most Social Groups," or "I just made the most Blogs,"
You KNOW that's tottaalllyyyy going to happen

My idea:
I'm thinking we could have a thread that people can post in when they have an accomplishment they want to share, just like Govteen: http://forums.govteen.com/showthread.php?t=154600

Although, it shouldn't be a stickied thread - we have enough of those. It could be bumped every once-in-awhile just like the Good Morning ~ Good Night thread, Your VT family thread, and what are you wearing? thread. In fact, it would be a lot more useful than all those threads.

So my idea is a bumped "post all accomplishments here" thread

so what do you think?

Last edited by MoveAlong; June 20th, 2008 at 07:49 PM. Reason: edit; my rep power changed FOUR times within a week, not three
MoveAlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Oblivion
Retired Mod

Default Re: Still allow accomplishment threads?

I think that there should be one main one like GovTeen, where everyone posts theirs
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:04 PM   #3
The Batman
Banned

Name: Thomdam

I like the high post count threads and the rep block threads because most of the time they do deserve a thread, but your right recently it has been starting to get ridiculous to almost a point where maybe there should be someone to intervene. I still don't think we should disallow them yet because they are dying a bit in popularity, but we should have some kind of guidelines up to prevent the nonsense threads. Maybe enforce a new rule like if the accomplishment is not of significant importance than it is classified as spam and it will be locked, but if you continue to make threads like it then you get an infraction. But I don't think that we should ban them altogether.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #4
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Maybe enforce a new rule like if the accomplishment is not of significant importance than it is classified as spam and it will be locked, but if you continue to make threads like it then you get an infraction. But I don't think that we should ban them altogether.
enforcing a new rule like that would not limit the space that the threads take up and they're still on the thread list. Making a thread to encompass all accomplishments would remove some a number of threads from the list and make room for many other more appropriate and less frivolous topics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox
I think that there should be one main one like GovTeen, where everyone posts theirs
Please remember to vote in the poll!!
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #5
cjdude

cjdude's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

the poll needs:

We should allow them; I support the idea...

unless i just dont understand, which is more likely

Hey! I'm Chris =D.
I'm 15 years old
Sexuality? I'm pretty sure i'm Gayy...

Myspace Me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex View Post
hey stud, there's a poltergeist in my pants...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contron13542 View Post
i'm guessing that guy is straight?
cjdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #6
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdude View Post
the poll needs:

We should allow them; I support the idea...

unless i just dont understand, which is more likely
No actually, I'm saying that we should disallow the actual threads, and get a special thread for them.
The other ones say "we should disallow the actual threads, and not get a special thread for them - so we should do something else to get rid of them", and the one on the top says "we should allow the threads, so we don't need a special thread for them"

which means that if there were a poll option like the one you just stated, it would say "we should allow threads like this, and we should have a special thread so those threads aren't posted" - that poll option contridicts itself.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Sugaree
Friend of the Devil

Sugaree's Forum Picture

Name: Matty

It obviously is getting out of hand. I don't mind a post accomplishment thread or a rep block thread. I'm fine with those. The thing I don't like is how people are posting useless shit like "I just got the most shouts in the shoutbox" or "I have the most social groups" crap.

I agree with the idea of having a thread that is allowed to be bumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter.Tomorrow View Post
Hello again VirtualTeen. you blackhole.

No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has
Amused itself to death
Last.FM
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Oblivion
Retired Mod

^^ Not mentioning any names (:

Anyway, i think that the GovTeen one was out of hand too, so we need to be more strict about it if we make one

OR we could have an achievement forum that is specifically for posting achievements! And it could be like arcade where it doesnt go towards post count!
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM   #9
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
OR we could have an achievement forum that is specifically for posting achievements! And it could be like arcade where it doesnt go towards post count!
Please don't make any suggestions about an achievement forum, it has already been decided that we won't have one of those because we simply don't have enough posts of this nature to need a WHOLE forum like that.

-as cited from Alex:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcar View Post
I don't think we have anywhere near the amount of threads appearing to warrant a subforum.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #10
Sugaree
Friend of the Devil

Sugaree's Forum Picture

Name: Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
^^ Not mentioning any names (:

Anyway, i think that the GovTeen one was out of hand too, so we need to be more strict about it if we make one

I know that I've made a few threads about it. But it wasn't the biggest deal in the world to me. But, I think I know better now then I did when I originally made those threads.

Me and Rudi both mentioned having an achievement forum. The idea never worked. Why make a forum that you can post about a post accomplishment and it doesn't even count?

When people make the "I made X number of posts" thread, that means that when they post that thread it means that they just posted that number of posts with that thread.

So if you made that thread which is your X number of posts and it doesn't count then it really isn't an accompishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter.Tomorrow View Post
Hello again VirtualTeen. you blackhole.

No tears to cry
No feelings left
This species has
Amused itself to death
Last.FM
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Oblivion
Retired Mod

Oh ok. Never mind about the achievement forums then.
But we should be able to recognize our achievements. And if there was an achievements forum, there would be no limit on the sillyness because the posts wouldn't count.
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #12
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie B. Barkin View Post
When people make an "I made X number of posts" thread, that means that when they post that thread it means that they just posted that number of posts with that thread.
Not always; that's not how I do it.
still, making a thread that houses all accomplishments would mean that there would be less place to spam.

to Arctic Fox's last post - true, but we just simply don't get that many accomplishments on a regular basis to fill an entire forum.
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Underground_Network
Divide By Hero

Underground_Network's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

I think that accomplishment threads shouldn't be posted in TWPR [hey I know this coming from me, but hear me out], but that people should have the option to post them in their diary, as it is something personal to them, their own personal milestone. And some people also like to keep track of things like their achievements/accomplishments in their diary, so it kind of works out that way. And the idea of may be an accomplishment forum in which posts don't count isn't that bad an idea. I'm not sure where I stand, so I'm not going to vote.

~Adam~
I'm way too high (too high too high)
To be feeling this dry and low
I'm way too tired, I've tried
I'm fired up and ready to roll
Lets go
Underground_Network is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #14
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

I think people should be able to make accomplishment threads in their diaries, or maybe just one, and that there should be a bragging thread. Definitely a bragging thread, I hate bragging topics, they're just pointless.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #15
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex
I think people should be able to make accomplishment threads in their diaries, or maybe just one, and that there should be a bragging thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underground_Network
people should have the option to post them in their diary
To the last two posters, yes, people should have to option to post accomplishments in their diary, but what about those without diaries? An accomplishment thread would be great for those people
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #16
Mzor203
VT Lover

That's why I said I agree with having a bragging thread.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #17
The Batman
Banned

No matter what people are still going to do what they want to do and the attention seekers will most likely post their own threads.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #18
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
No matter what people are still going to do what they want to do and the attention seekers will most likely post their own threads.
If a seperate thread for post count accomplishments is created, all threads created by members from then on will probably be merged with the new "official" thread.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:12 PM   #19
Mzor203
VT Lover

@LightXInXDarkness

And get infracted.

Seriously, after someone breaks the rules and the staff do something about it, they will stop.
Old June 20th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #20
The Batman
Banned

But still it wouldn't be stickied and if they don't see the thread it wouldn't be fair for them to get an infraction. I know these threads are pretty pointless but I don't think we should force this on everyone because a couple of people posted about random crap.