Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
Gumleaf
Former Whatever

Gumleaf's Forum Picture

Name: Stephen
Default How to Deal with Family Arguments

Fight fair in family arguments

Of course you love your siblings, (or, parents or best friend). Of course you would never want to fight or argue with any of them. And, of course, those are exactly the people with whom you have the most arguments.

No, you probably aren't constantly fighting with each other (though if that is the case, go talk to a counseling professional, because that's not how relationships with those we care about are supposed to work), but even the best of relationships are going to have disagreements and misunderstandings.

Working through those moments honestly and fairly can help strengthen a relationship for both parties, but make disagreeing an emotional shouting match and you can easily do real damage to an important relationship.

Instead, try these tips for disagreeing without causing harming:

- Remember your goal is to solve the problem, not "win" the argument.
- Don't let anger be your first reaction. When anger clouds judgment, it's easy to insult and disrespect the other person, resulting in an emotional fight rather than an attempt to deal with the issue.
- Don't let misunderstanding be the basis for the argument. If you think you've been misunderstood, ask the other person to tell you what he or she heard you saying. Simply restating what you really meant may straighten things out.
- Listen to the other person's side and make sure you really understand his or her position. We can be just as guilty of not understanding, or sometimes not even hearing, the other side of the argument.
- Be sincere and open. Don't resort to code words and innuendo which will only confuse meanings. Say what you mean, but say it respectfully.
- Stick to real issues — those things that really can be fixed. Launching a personal attack on the other person, focusing on emotional issues, or dragging up past problems and events will do nothing to solve the current problem.

Disagreements with loved ones happen, but that doesn't mean you both don't still love and respect each other. Discussing problems openly and in detail can often lead to a solution, but even when it doesn't, it's important to remember that the relationship itself is always more important than the current disagreement. If you can't find an immediate solution, agree to continue loving and respecting each other, and remember that there's always tomorrow to try and work things out.

stephen

Always Hawthorn

Hawthorn Football Club

Strong As One

~Laura was here~
~Jessi should have been here~
Gumleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #2
damn almonds

damn almonds's Forum Picture

Name: Sheila
Default Re: How to Deal with Family Arguments

how do u get ur rents to stop fighting?

I The One And Only, The Hott, The Sexy, The Unbelievable, JAKE!
Proud To Be Totally Diva Chix Addicted!
And Then Gid Said, Let There Be Chocolate. When God Saw That Chocolate Was Good, He Seperated The Dark From The Light.
CHOCOLATE CRUNCH!
F497119
damn almonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM   #3
diamond jetstream
Member++

diamond jetstream's Forum Picture

Name: jesse

sorry but u cant they probably have a personal problem that they cant tell you about because they see u as an innoccent child. its better to ride it out but if it gets way serious like violence tell someone. hope i was helpfull

why wont jesus answer my text messages...because it is geting late and he borrowed my ipod.

im sixteen and i have blue eyes and blonde hair
my name is jesse and im bi my friends consider me to be funny so if you want to be friends pm me and ill add you on facebook
diamond jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #4
Jagador
Member++

Jagador's Forum Picture

Name: Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond jetstream View Post
sorry but u cant they probably have a personal problem that they cant tell you about because they see u as an innoccent child. its better to ride it out but if it gets way serious like violence tell someone. hope i was helpfull
agreed, but if you can't stand it, tell them to go somewhere else, and if it gets to violence, threaten to call the cops, but it shouldn't get that high. Also you can TRY to break it up but its not advised

I specialize in Family/Friend Help and Advice. I have been in almost every situation with family and friends.
I have nearly touched hands with death himself.
Jagador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Asylum
Banned

Name: Songl

this is very good advice, however my parents don' like to listen to the other side, nor let m have an opinion. just last night i was explaining why i turned in a assignment late... SHUT UP!!!! I don't care what you have to say, be quite and jsut do what i aks turn in yoru assignmnts on time. Dad... I"m tyr... I SAID SHUT UP!!! i don't care!! this is backtalk how can you talk to me this way!?! oh there is going to be mroe resrticitonson your phoen now... alright... who said you get the last word... no SHUT UP!!! it went on and on but you get the point...
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #6
jupiterpitter
Banned

Fight is happen in every family and every one do argue with you just do one thing that if any one is arguing with you don't tell any thing for a while tell when that person become relax if you do this the fight not increase and also and misunderstanding also not create.
jupiterpitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 01:39 AM   #7
ankurg562
Banned

Name: ankurg562

every difficulty have a solution.Fight is happen in every family because every parents want his child is good for other.they always arguing.that time u feel bad but then u remember ur parents words.u think ya they this time say good for me.then u feel i am wrong.
ankurg562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Mario T

Name: Mario

all i do is stay quiet
Mario T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #9
skilletfan128

Exclamation Re: How to Deal with Family Arguments

Somebody pleeeeeeeaaaaasssseee help me. I'm 13,a girl. im having SERIOUS issues at home.

1)My 5 year old brother has aspergers (a form of autism) he drives me nuts and phisically hurts me but I know he doesnt mean it but it hurts

2) My parentos still hire babysitters when they go out. I'm aloud to stay home alone for like hours by myselt but NOT with my bro what do i do?

3) I am a super smart straight A student in 7th grade but my school teaches us 10th-college work ( i am taking SAT test this june- a practice THEN a real one in Septenber!) all people care about is how smart I am not my feelins or anything else!!!! PLEASE HELP ME!!! IM THINKING ABOUT KILLING MYSELF!!! OR RUNNING AWAY!!
skilletfan128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Jahiem

Always arguing.that time u feel bad but then u remember your parents words.u think ya they this time say good for me.then u feel i am wrong.
Jahiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #11
John Marston
Member++

John Marston's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas

I act like I don't care about the fights, but I think people know I do.

I never wanted anybody more than I wanted you The only thing I ever really loved was hurting you.
ORIGINALLY Affiliations
Pizza for Caitlin!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sire View Post
Banned because Pikachu is a wild pokemanz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
If anime comes to life for you, it's a sign of LSD.
John Marston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Ben4ever
Member+

Name: Ben Ruffles

I hate when parents fight!

No matter what you may be dealing with I want you to know that You Are Not Alone
I'm 19, GAY as a rainbow,love to have weird conversations, I'm from south Louisiana
Ben4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Everthehopeful

Name: Shan

What can I do when my parents fight both with me and each other and seem to treat my brother like a prince (note the use of the word seem. I do realise they don't). It all seems to be over my exams and social life! I just turned 16 and they are still trying to ground me even though, legally here, I do not have to be if a parent says so.
Everthehopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #14
momo....

momo....'s Forum Picture

Name: Yuri

i never argue with my family i dont need stress

momo.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #15
WearAngels
Banned

Name: Nareen

Another way around of informative post that will help me a lot specially of today's time that i was a trouble maker anywhere i may go because i am a kind of person that has a bad temper every time arguments go on.
WearAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Jamesison
Banned

Name: James

I try to walk away to thing get better.
Jamesison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #17
NickTheBest
Junior Member+

NickTheBest's Forum Picture

Name: Nick

This is good information

im 18 - Chat me anytime.You can ask or show me ANYTHING i dont mind.
Contact Info on my profile
NickTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #18
HunterBlue

HunterBlue's Forum Picture

Name: Karson

When there's an argument in my family, its on! My mom is never home, so it's basically me and my older sister. She's older so she thinks she's all bad ass. But I'm bigger and don't take her crap so its like Game of Thrones sometimes. Literally.

My youngest sister never fights, but my oldest has a temper and can be pretty nasty. She screams at my younger sister, making her cry. I always step in and she goes way over the top. She once stabbed me in the elbow with a knife. A steak knife! Without even thinking I pulled it out of my arm and threw it into the sink and the yelled out loudly GAME OF THRONES!!! And she took off.

I was at the hospital with my younger sister who was all quiet and upset about it all, but the she burst out laughing and asked me why I yelled that out. I told the doctor I dropped the knife while washing the dishes. He looked at me like I was full of crap.
HunterBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #19
Jamesison
Banned

Name: James

I walk away or i try not to get in them if I can.
Jamesison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #20
GypsyGirl
Junior Member+

Name: stephanie

Whenever I get into a fight with my sister I always apologize 5 minutes later because I feel guilty. Even if I don't want to let her have her way, she always gets it because I don't want her to hate me anymore than she already probably does. Hate fighting so much so things get bottled up and just burst out when pushed too far.
GypsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote