Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 20th, 2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Legoboy

Name: Luke
Default Nightmares and other sleep problems

I basically suffer with bad sleep issues some nights worse than others. Its all mental to do with abuse that happened to me in the past and I get nightmares a lot and also have to use a mattress protector still So I have counselling and I have a really awesome family now. The best everyone can tell me is that it will all settle down "in time" but obviously its been a long time already and I just wondered if anyone has been through anything similar and how long it took to get noticably better?

Thanks.
Legoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....
Default Re: Nightmares and other sleep problems

I assume by you saying still use a bed proctor you wet the bed have you seen a Dr ?
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #3
Legoboy

They say that part is either because of anxiety or because when I eventually do get into a deeper sleep I'm just so tired i'm completely shut down. Its a symptom rather than the cause.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

I had pretty bad nightmares/phobias age 10-12, so much so that when I'd wake up in the middle of the night the only thing that would calm me down was creeping across the landing and sleeping in my little sisters single bed with her. I'd get screamed at by my parents in the morning but it was worth it for the couple of hours uninterrupted sleep - I guess she just made me feel safe, I don't know what it was. I was never diagnosed with anything professionally but I'm pretty sure I had insomnia at about 10/11 and after that I just had shit sleep until about 15/16 but the nightmares went away at about 13(ish) for me and I was able to sleep in my own bed. I started being able to sleep with the light off at 16 and that was a great feat for me. Now I sleep like a baby right through the night and it's complete and utter bliss.

I know you don't want to hear this at all but it will get better over time, a couple more years and you should be sleeping a lot more easily, especially coupling it with therapy and your new family. You might not even notice the progress you're making and it might be gradual. Do you think that being on your own might be a trigger? I mean, personally, I had a teddy that was my 'comfort blanket' until I was in my early/mid teens and especially when you wake up, it's nice to just find something familiar there. Keeping the light on might also help?

I'm so sorry that you have to deal with sleep disorders, I get that they can take a real toll on your emotional well-being what with being exhausted all day. Seeing as I grew out of my sleep disorders I don't really have anything that will definitely be of any help other than some support and encouragement that it will get better. Have you researched any techniques that might help your sleeping? Thing is, it's all in your unconscious so it's so difficult to find things that you can do to help. With your home life seemingly settling down I hope that you start to see improvements, maybe if/when you feel stressed or any overwhelming emotions you vent to people and don't clam up, that might have a calming effect which in turn might keep your sleep steady. Stress doesn't help at all.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Think I can completly understand where you are coming from on this, think we're in the same kinda situation here. I'm 15, have a very hard time sleeping as well as other symptoms as yourself, I understand it's embarassing, but keep in mind, these are not your fault, no matter how much you think they are.
It will get better, it takes time, those wounds are deep, deep wounds take a long time to heal, I know.
I don't wet the bed any more, that's just something that will take time for you to recognize thr triggers, and do something about it yourself, and talking helps a lot.
But honestly, everyone has accidents sometimes ya know?
So relax, talk to trusted people who can help
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:02 PM   #6
Legoboy

Wow thanks @Desuetude yeah we ended up moving my bed into my foster brothers room because I was always going through to him because I was too embarrassed to go into my foster parents room, or scared I'd be in trouble. Matts basically the one who rescues me and sorts me out these days.

Yeah I am ok without the light now so I suppose you are right and thats progress mainly because I know someone else is in the room which helps.

Well my dad decided I didn't need teddies when I turned 11 so nope But Matt makes a really good (giant) teddy if I need one lol.

You are right about how it affects you .. its a viscouse cycle and bad sleep makes the anxiety worse which makes the sleeping worse ... So yeah we've all done lots of research into stuff. Worse case Im even allowed to sleep at lunch for 20 mins in the first aid room if I need a power nap

Ok I suppose I didn't want to hear it will take YEARS to sort out but yeah that seems to be the way it is for a lot of people. @TJreversed - you're right it just makes me really angry and frustrated though its like you think you're healed but no that's just your body that's the easy part over.
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Ok I suppose I didn't want to hear it will take YEARS to sort out but yeah that seems to be the way it is for a lot of people. @TJreversed - you're right it just makes me really angry and frustrated though its like you think you're healed but no that's just your body that's the easy part over.[/QUOTE]

No, I'm not sayin im healed up in any way, far far far from it, just sayin I understand, and if I understand what you are saying in your post, we are in the same boat in some ways.

I'm also in foster care, I've also been abused in many ways, those wounds never heal, but I was referring to the physical wounds in my post

It just plain sucks, but I'm sure you know, seems like the worse is over, it just takes time is all
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #8
Legoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJreversed View Post
No, I'm not sayin im healed up in any way, far far far from it, just sayin I understand, and if I understand what you are saying in your post, we are in the same boat in some ways.

I'm also in foster care, I've also been abused in many ways, those wounds never heal, but I was referring to the physical wounds in my post
Thats cool JT I understand.