Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #1
SteelyDan10678
New Member
 
SteelyDan10678's Forum Picture
 
Name: Josh
Join Date: July 10, 2014
Gender: Male
Arrow Things that really bother me....

I can't stand when people flippantly use the term "OCD" as if it were some kind of joke. The more frustrating thing is that when I tell them that I get offended when people say that, they suddenly make me seem like I'm in the wrong. I've had OCD my whole life, and it has been the bane of my existence, to the point where I've considered running off or ending my life to take the burden of raising me off of my parents. OCD isn't just "haha I love having a clean desk" or "I eat the blue m&ms first because I like them"
I can't stand the compulsions, and I can't stand the intrusive thoughts that come with having OCD. I don't understand why this disorder has turned into some kind of joke or buzzword among people who feel as though they need something to spice up their boring lives.

Warm Regards
Likes: (2)
SteelyDan10678 is offline  
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Blood
Banned
 
Name: Jess
Join Date: November 6, 2009
Location: Bend over, stick your hand up your ass, and pull.
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 12
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

It's not really right for people to joke about a disorder of any kind, but the fact of the matter is that people are going to joke about it. That's life. Worrying and getting mad because people joke about it isn't really going to help anything. I'm sure the people who joke about it don't have anything against people who actually suffer from OCD. A joke is just that; a joke.
Blood is offline  
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Karkat
Knight of Blood
 
Karkat's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ren Hek
Join Date: February 20, 2014
Location: Land of Pulse and Haze
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

This annoys me a lot as well- and as a result of what you've described, people don't take me seriously. They think that I'M joking when I say something about being OCD.

It's awful. I get pissed off at people who joke about being ADHD or treat autism, retardation, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, addiction, and suicide like they're all jokes. I don't get how on earth it could be funny.


Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline  
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:08 AM   #4
Svan
Banned
 
Name: Svan.
Join Date: July 11, 2014
Location: Bangor, Maine
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 8
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan10678 View Post
I can't stand when people flippantly use the term "OCD" as if it were some kind of joke. The more frustrating thing is that when I tell them that I get offended when people say that, they suddenly make me seem like I'm in the wrong. I've had OCD my whole life, and it has been the bane of my existence, to the point where I've considered running off or ending my life to take the burden of raising me off of my parents. OCD isn't just "haha I love having a clean desk" or "I eat the blue m&ms first because I like them"
I can't stand the compulsions, and I can't stand the intrusive thoughts that come with having OCD. I don't understand why this disorder has turned into some kind of joke or buzzword among people who feel as though they need something to spice up their boring lives.
Yes, this and when they say things like "I'm so ADHD". They have NO clue what anything of that sort is like. As for me, it wouldn't PERSONALLY offend me, because I neither have OCD or ADHD, but I DO have Borderline Personality Disorder and severe depression.
Svan is offline  
Old July 11th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #5
SteelyDan10678
New Member
 
SteelyDan10678's Forum Picture
 
Name: Josh
Join Date: July 10, 2014
Gender: Male
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
This annoys me a lot as well- and as a result of what you've described, people don't take me seriously. They think that I'M joking when I say something about being OCD.

It's awful. I get pissed off at people who joke about being ADHD or treat autism, retardation, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression, addiction, and suicide like they're all jokes. I don't get how on earth it could be funny.
And then they get all incredulous when you point it out to them.

Warm Regards
SteelyDan10678 is offline  
Old July 12th, 2014, 06:27 PM   #6
Karkat
Knight of Blood
 
Karkat's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ren Hek
Join Date: February 20, 2014
Location: Land of Pulse and Haze
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyDan10678 View Post
And then they get all incredulous when you point it out to them.
Yup. Or they will turn the COMPLETE opposite way, out of nowhere, and go "ahh, you're probably just exaggerating". Ah yes, this coming from the person who didn't want to work on their homework or whatever two minutes ago and wrote it off as "Ah, I'm so ADHD".


Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline  
Old July 14th, 2014, 06:56 PM   #7
1_21Guns
Val's bitch. ;)
 
1_21Guns's Forum Picture
 
Name: Natalie
Join Date: May 16, 2009
Location: Hell.
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

It annoys me when people joke about things they shouldn't, but as Blood said, people will joke about those things. It hasn't bothered me as much since I came to realise it mainly comes from a lack of understanding, people often mock things they don't or can't understand because it's their reaction to it. Kinda when you hear something shocking, and laugh even though it's inappropriate to. Of course this far from excuses it, and if people don't understand something they should just shut their mouths about it, but they don't, and ignorance isn't worth getting annoyed over

1_21Guns is offline  
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #8
PunkVanilla
Banned
 
Name: Tory
Join Date: July 14, 2014
Location: Austin, TX
Gender: Female
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

This makes me soooo mad.
People do not understand OCD if they do not have it.
PunkVanilla is offline  
Old July 14th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #9
thatgothgirluknow
Great Poster
 
thatgothgirluknow's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jade/jordan
Join Date: December 22, 2013
Location: in the deep depts of hell (florida)
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 5
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

personally what annoys me is that people think that ocd is only being a neat freak ive even herd people call it obbsesive cleaning disorder the jokes dont bother me as much but then again i make them at myself for the most part because i find it makes people more comfortable with my things i do and more understanding like when i had a roommate at a mental hospital i joked about how i couldnt stand to have the door open even a crack because otherwise she probley would have thought it weird that i got up and made sure the door was closed absulety had to close the door till it clicked or i would end up staring at it as if it would close itself till finnally i got up and did it myself also it helped my friends understand why i was so picky about where they put my stuff or if they touched my stuff since i have a specific way everything in my room has to stay on my even if it seemed stupid to them i had to have everything where i was used to it being or i would freak even the empty bottle i left on my headboard had to stay there cause it had been there for so long and so now its part of my room if i didnt make the joke people would probley think i was crazy especialey the way if something touches one side of my body it has to touch the other the same exact way

u know u love the goth girl


do not live to survive but to thrive and secede

<font color=SlateGray><font size=5>BUTTERFLIES</font></font>
the rain comes before the rainbow

Last edited by thatgothgirluknow; July 14th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
thatgothgirluknow is offline  
Old June 11th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #10
ftrhh
New Member
 
ftrhh's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 19, 2014
Gender: Female
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkat View Post
Yup. Or they will turn the COMPLETE opposite way, out of nowhere, and go "ahh, you're probably just exaggerating". Ah yes, this coming from the person who didn't want to work on their homework or whatever two minutes ago and wrote it off as "Ah, I'm so ADHD".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgothgirluknow View Post
personally what annoys me is that people think that ocd is only being a neat freak ive even herd people call it obbsesive cleaning disorder
I definitely get these two aspects, I almost feel like I can't tell people because they won't take me seriously. I've had people reply "oh yeah, I have it too, I am such a neat freak" and stuff like that, which is fine, but it sort of makes me feel like they don't really believe me, or don't think it's a serious thing. Like I'm talking about just needing to put stuff away or something. And then I don't want to explain myself, about the misconception that it's about being clean, because...I don't know. I'm just glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. It's weird, some of the people I've come across treat "being OCD" like a trend, or something. It makes me feel weird, like my struggles with it are invalid. But I know they don't mean any harm. (:
ftrhh is offline  
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:43 PM   #11
azure moonstone
glowing
 
azure moonstone's Forum Picture
 
Name: Allison
Join Date: November 8, 2012
Location: The Crystal Castle
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 21
Default Re: Things that really bother me....

Please do not post in threads with more than two months of inactivity.
azure moonstone is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2017
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2017, VirtualTeen.org