Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:11 AM   #1
hazelteen

hazelteen's Forum Picture

Name: Axel
Default HELP: anorexia- The final stage of recovery

help would really be appreciated.

Backround:
I was diagnosed with anorexia this time last year and since then I have gone to an impatient unit, got discharged from there and I'm continuing my journey at home with out patients. I'm still on a food plan to stabilise my weight however there is LOADSTONE of flexibly within that
So I'm basically really nearly recovered and I'm just almost there.

my dad just got home with shopping and I sneaked a peak in the grossersys bag and I saw that he had not bought Any of the things that I normally have or like. I know that they were for me because he had offered them to me before he left to go walk the dog and I had told him the food that I minded the least out of all of those.

While he was out, I just couldn't help but take a peak and I saw that ALL of the food options were RED traffic lights for fat (the system in UK).
I feel so guilty now because I looked at the calories and they are SOOO much more than what I would normally have. I don't feel guilty for eating it, but I do for looking at the nutrition values because I know that It won't help my recovery.

I feel like I've let myself down and my parents (they don't know, but I spent a YEAR trying to get back their trust, and now they trust me completely).

Aside from that, I feel like my dad is getting these high calorie foods because he wants me to put on some weight.

Currently, my weight is healthy, but he's worried about my growth so he encourages me to eat more because he think it will kick of a growth spurt.

Can anyone help me?
HOW DO I FIND IT EASIER TO EAT THIS FOOD?
IS MY DAD TRYING TO FATTEN ME UP?
HOW CAN I STOP THE TEMPTATION TO PEAK AT CALORIES?

I am so nearly recoverers and I feel like I let myself down by letting this worry me
Thanks again, Hazel

Stars can't shine without darkness.
hazelteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:32 PM   #2
ObliviousCat

ObliviousCat's Forum Picture

Default Re: HELP: anorexia- The final stage of recovery

Hi there. I was in your situation not too long ago. I'm glad to hear that your weight is healthy and you're nearing recovery! That's a really big thing and you should remind yourself of that daily. Reminding myself of how far I've come and how many people (family, friends) are supporting me motivated me to keep going.
Now to answer your questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelteen View Post
HOW DO I FIND IT EASIER TO EAT THIS FOOD?
Well to be honest this question is kind of hard to answer but I will try my best to help you. Food (usually) tastes amazing, right? For me it was easier to eat food when I just focused on how it tasted and not so much on what it was...if that makes any sense.
Quote:
IS MY DAD TRYING TO FATTEN ME UP?
No. At least not in a negative way. He's just trying his best, as a father, to keep you healthy and strong. It seems like maybe he's trying to ease you into different foods that you might have refused to eat before. This is so the both of you can see how much progress you've made and to see where you stand in your recovery. Considering that you ate the food despite looking at the nutrition facts, you're doing great!!
Quote:
HOW CAN I STOP THE TEMPTATION TO LOOK AT CALORIES?
This is another hard one because I can't remember how I stopped myself. Maybe you or a family member (probably a better idea) could place colored duct tape over the labels? It may seem tiresome and whatnot but it will keep you from looking at the calories. Maybe when you're about to eat something take your mind off the calories or the temptation to look by watching TV? TV and food go together perfectly. For example, if you have a personal bag of chips just sit by the TV (or computer) and open up the bag without looking at the back of it. Turn your attention to the show you're watching and just eat. Before you know it you'll probably be done with your snack and as soon as you are just ball up the bag as tight as you can and throw it away. After that, you can go back to watching your show and the temptation that may be lingering to take out the bag from the trash and look will fade.

I really hope my answers to your question will help you and I wish you the best of luck. Keep going, you are strong!
ObliviousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #3
hazelteen

hazelteen's Forum Picture

Name: Axel
Default Re: HELP: anorexia- The final stage of recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObliviousCat View Post
Hi there. I was in your situation not too long ago. I'm glad to hear that your weight is healthy and you're nearing recovery! That's a really big thing and you should remind yourself of that daily. Reminding myself of how far I've come and how many people (family, friends) are supporting me motivated me to keep going.
Now to answer your questions.

Well to be honest this question is kind of hard to answer but I will try my best to help you. Food (usually) tastes amazing, right? For me it was easier to eat food when I just focused on how it tasted and not so much on what it was...if that makes any sense.

No. At least not in a negative way. He's just trying his best, as a father, to keep you healthy and strong. It seems like maybe he's trying to ease you into different foods that you might have refused to eat before. This is so the both of you can see how much progress you've made and to see where you stand in your recovery. Considering that you ate the food despite looking at the nutrition facts, you're doing great!!

This is another hard one because I can't remember how I stopped myself. Maybe you or a family member (probably a better idea) could place colored duct tape over the labels? It may seem tiresome and whatnot but it will keep you from looking at the calories. Maybe when you're about to eat something take your mind off the calories or the temptation to look by watching TV? TV and food go together perfectly. For example, if you have a personal bag of chips just sit by the TV (or computer) and open up the bag without looking at the back of it. Turn your attention to the show you're watching and just eat. Before you know it you'll probably be done with your snack and as soon as you are just ball up the bag as tight as you can and throw it away. After that, you can go back to watching your show and the temptation that may be lingering to take out the bag from the trash and look will fade.

I really hope my answers to your question will help you and I wish you the best of luck. Keep going, you are strong!
thank you so much for the response, i found it really helpful, particulaly the advice on focusing on how the food tastes. thats somethiong that i have been doing but havent really thought about it that much. its a good thing that i love all the food that i need to eat because it does really make a difference
i also love haveing "extras" - things like hot chocolate powder in milk and stuff like that because well, it tastes good

i hardly ever do "check" the nutrition facts anymore so i think that duct tape wouldnt be such a good idea. that probally would have been sencible earlier on though!

as it turns out, i havent yet been asked to eat the foods that i described except for one, and that turned out fine because i wasn't so bothered for some reason. (i think maybe i was just really determined to grow taller and decideed that a little extra wasnt such a bad idea.) thanks so much for all the amazing advice! its been really helpful

Stars can't shine without darkness.
hazelteen is offline   Reply With Quote