Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 16th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #1
THJKIGB
Member+

Default Bumped Threads

I have noticed since I have joined several months ago that there has been many threads locked after being bumped after being inactive for a few months. Is there a logical reason that these threads get locked? I mean is it a bandwidth issue or something like that? My reason I ask this is there are several new members that join here every day it seems and yes at first there is a lot of threads to respond to on here, but after you are here for like 2-3 months like myself I seem to log on and check the New Posts Section and like 99% of the posts are ones that I have already responded to and given my input on. There are a few threads that can be responded on more than once, but threads like most Polls, How Does It Feel when you masturbate?, What do you look for in a Boy/Girl?, you can only really give one opinion on and that's it. I can understand if the thread being bumped has been inactive for a year or more being closed, but a few months old seems a little too strict. Unless it causes a bandwidth issue or the bumped thread is being spammed by those bumping it up I think new members should be able to give there opinions on those threads without them being locked immediately. It certainly would give more activity on the boards. Just a suggestion. Thanks for listening.

Jovanna
THJKIGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #2
mikielikesit

Name: Mike
Default Re: Bumped Threads

Agreed, I go to comment and there already locked
mikielikesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #3
Gwen
Awesome Poster

Gwen's Forum Picture

Name: Gwen

I'm okay with the bumping rules. If someone hasn't been commented on for months than there isn't any interest in it. Make a new thread once one has been locked or post something new; this site always needs new content rather than just the same polls with over 1k replies.

What do I do, what do I do

What do I do, what do I do right?
Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2015, 07:03 AM   #4
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

The reason we have a bump limit is to keep the amount of active topics at a manageable level and topics that are over 2 months old are generally either irrelevant, the same as a more recent topic e.g. one created before 2 months or the topic is no longer going to useful to the topic starter.

If we use P101 as an example. If we go into Boys Puberty you will see a lot of the topics on front page are similar to the topics that are over 2 months old. So bumping they topics would be pointless.

Similar with the other H&A sections. If a thread is older than 2 months its no longer probably going to help the topic starter.

In general discussion the bump limit exists to keep topics fresh really as otherwise we'd be posting in topics from months to years ago and this could be off putting to new members. I think a good example is the TV section where people create topics about The Walking Dead often because of the bump limit, it keeps discussion fresh and allows newer people to go into the thread and engage because the topic is so new. If the topic was really old and had 200 replies then chances are people would bypass that thread as they don't want to sift through 200 replies.

If you're wanting to discuss a topic that's outwith 2 months you've got two options.

1) Create the topic yourself

2) PM the Topic Starter and ask them if they'd like to bump up the thread.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote