Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old August 1st, 2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)
Default Update On The Chatroom?

Just curious about the process on the Chatroom. Any ideas when it will be back up?

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:48 PM   #2
xXl0sth0peXx
Administrator

xXl0sth0peXx's Forum Picture

Name: Val
Default Re: Update On The Chatroom?

@Continental We're still working out what our best option is, and it's a lot of money, and by no means an easy decision. Hopefully within the next week or so we'll have something, but I don't want to guarantee anything.

Feel free to contact me: [email protected]|PM me
Feel free to visit: Ask Me|Diary|My Tumblr

"Perfect. Nice and bright outside. Wow, I'm so rococo x.X" - Bethany
~Steven
- Ali
xXl0sth0peXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXl0sth0peXx View Post
@Continental We're still working out what our best option is, and it's a lot of money, and by no means an easy decision. Hopefully within the next week or so we'll have something, but I don't want to guarantee anything.
Ok. Well hopefully it will be back soon

#ThugLife
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....

Has there been any update ? Anything is appreciated Thanks tom.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 03:55 AM   #5
wolf g
Member+

wolf g's Forum Picture

Name: UNKNOWN

i think we have chatroom it's will be good
wolf g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:43 AM   #6
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

Did the old chat subscription actually expire or is just taken off because of the issues with Google Chrome, as you can bypass the Google Chrome Java issue by changing a setting in Chrome.

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:55 PM   #7
luq_

Name: Luke

It's nice being honest to yourself and admitting Java is just very shitty tool to use for chat. I do a lot of Java programming and it comes hard for me to say it, but it just doesn't work. Applets used to be "a thing" a long time ago, now they are just an annoyance.
Glad to see something changing for the better.
Not glad to see it takes so much time.

Last edited by luq_; August 22nd, 2015 at 05:13 PM.
luq_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Human
VT Lover

Human's Forum Picture

If it costs money I'm sure we could put together a donation thing. I'd happily donate to vt.
Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #9
luq_

Okay, a few months for a chatroom isn't acceptable. You (or I) can make the simple, barebones one in less than an hour (e. g. like this). In a few days, it can be upgraded to include all the basic stuff. Hell, even if you are super lazy and make it weeks, it still takes less time than this.
If you really don't feel like it, or can't find anyone to do it, there are plenty of free third-party alternatives to serve as a temporary room, e. g. Mibbit, Freenode, SynIRC.
It really shouldn't be that hard.

Luck has always been following me. It just hasn't caught me up. Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Bernstein
Time is the cruelest teacher; first she gives the test, then teaches the lesson.
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #10
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by luq_ View Post
Okay, a few months for a chatroom isn't acceptable. You (or I) can make the simple, barebones one in less than an hour (e. g. like this). In a few days, it can be upgraded to include all the basic stuff. Hell, even if you are super lazy and make it weeks, it still takes less time than this.
If you really don't feel like it, or can't find anyone to do it, there are plenty of free third-party alternatives to serve as a temporary room, e. g. Mibbit, Freenode, SynIRC.
And who do you think you are?
Dude, show some respect to the staff, they have priorities that are much more important than a chat room. They have lives to. They have college and school, work, probably even more than that and have very busy lives. And the last thing on their mind, would be a chat room. Keep in mind it costs money for this sort of thing which the admins take out of their own pockets. Yea, I'd like it to be back to, but I'm not gonna be disrespectful about it. Show some respect, you're not the one in charge.

#ThugLife
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:31 AM   #11
Stronger
Justice

Stronger's Forum Picture

Name: Brandon

Quote:
Alternatives are not a good choice to use, because they, (I'd imagine) would be harder to moderate than what the former chatroom's system used. The staff also have a life just like you and me, have some patience.

Kaya is my VT Sister
Stronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #12
lyhom
Great Poster

lyhom's Forum Picture

Quote:
who the fuck are you?

seriously, it's probably not as simple as "how do we set up a new chatroom", I believe the chat was paid for to get extra security or something, and I really doubt that anyone is going to listen to a member who can't even pm yet lmao
lyhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #13
luq_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continental View Post
And who do you think you are?
Dude, show some respect to the staff, they have priorities that are much more important than a chat room. They have lives to. They have college and school, work, probably even more than that and have very busy lives. And the last thing on their mind, would be a chat room. Keep in mind it costs money for this sort of thing which the admins take out of their own pockets. Yea, I'd like it to be back to, but I'm not gonna be disrespectful about it. Show some respect, you're not the one in charge.
Okay, I admit, I do overreact sometimes because I do programming myself. Chatroom isn't a complicated service. I've written an Android app with server backend in a month during the holidays (2-6h a day sufficed), counting 12k lines currently, still polishing out the details. But it's functional as it is currently. During school year, I've written a program to find optimal route using public transport (walking included), it works in under 0.1s (worst case) and it took me four days. It's far from perfect, but it's solid. Also many more smaller programs or scripts which are irrelevant in the current context, because my point isn't bragging.

My point is, chatroom is a simple thing. I can write a very basic service and self-host it next weekend. It won't be integrated with the user system on the forum because I don't have the access to the data and even if I had I don't know how vBulletin or whichever engine is used works underneath. It won't have all the fancy moderation tools, probably only an option to have admins which can kick users. It will just work. If there weren't for school, I could have it finished today. I understand people are busy, I didn't expect it to come back after a few days or weeks. Almost three months though, it's a bit too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronger View Post
Alternatives are not a good choice to use, because they, (I'd imagine) would be harder to moderate than what the former chatroom's system used. The staff also have a life just like you and me, have some patience.
You're probably right, the biggest weakness would be that they probably can't be integrated with the user system existing on the forum.

I apologize if anyone got offended by my response. It's just that I've got used to expect the best and looking at this site as yet another product. A few months is a quite significant period when it comes to anything related to technology (just remember Ubuntu pushes a whole new version of an operating system every six months).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyhom View Post
who the fuck are you?

seriously, it's probably not as simple as "how do we set up a new chatroom", I believe the chat was paid for to get extra security or something, and I really doubt that anyone is going to listen to a member who can't even pm yet lmao
No one forces you to listen to me. I was just expressing my opinion, which is that it takes way too long. Paying for extra security? Get a site-wide HTTPS certificate, problem solved. I can't think of a way to improve chat security much further, or a reason to. Even that could be an overkill. I mean, the previous version used a Java applet, and Java applets aren't really famous for their security, but exactly the opposite.

Posts merged. Next time, please use the "Edit" or "Multi" button. ~Elysium

Quote:
Time is the cruelest teacher; first she gives the test, then teaches the lesson.

Last edited by Elysium; September 26th, 2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old September 26th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #14
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

It's my fault that the chatroom isn't up and running yet. I had a very busy summer, and after it ended I got even busier. VT is a full time job in itself, and sometimes when everyone is really busy we have to prioritize things, because we don't always have the time to knock off everything on the to-do list. Unfortunately the day-day stuff took priority over the chat, which was also not cheap to replace. We had to first find a number of suitable alternatives to our old, outdated chat, demo and test them, make sure we could properly integrate it, make sure it has all of the necessary moderation tools, things along those lines, and most importantly that it was better than what we had. It's not as simple as just writing a basic IRC chat client, we have standards that have to be met and security measures to take into consideration. I can say for sure that we will have a new chat room up and running hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm sorry that I can't give you an exact date, but we are working on getting it properly integrated and have hit some bumps along the road. I apologize personally and on behalf of the staff for how long this took/is taking. I do realize that it has been a long time coming and we did break promises that it would be taken care of quickly, but sometimes things come up in life and ruin your plans. "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - John Steinbeck.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:35 PM   #15
luq_

Yeah, I get it, (I'll use a less fancy quote) shit happens. Chat is obviously not a priority, and I could see that stuff was being done despite the busy days (e. g. like system). My biggest complaint is the lack of communication, just a simple "oops, this might take some time, but it'll be worth it" and "some stuff gone wrong, but we'll fix it, just bear with us for a moment or two" or "it might take a few weeks longer than expected, we're working to deliver our best" would've been great.
Nonetheless, looking forward to improvements, no matter how long they take.

Quote:
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:04 AM   #16
wolf g
Member+

wolf g's Forum Picture

Name: UNKNOWN

Quote:
It's nice being honest to yourself and admitting Java is just very shitty tool to use for chat. I do a lot of Java programming and it comes hard for me to say it, but it just doesn't work. Applets used to be "a thing" a long time ago, now they are just an annoyance.
Glad to see something changing for the better.
Not glad to see it takes so much time.
i just want tell you something is true that you have free time to do a lot of things in 5 minutes ;but if i tell you work in Internet do your homework go to your high school take care of your brothers in the same time of curse you will gonna say "what the hell you think me. A robot?"
it's the same thing for the chat room and remember it's a responsibility they must take they time to do a chat room .
it's not easy like you think
wolf g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 07:49 AM   #17
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

Quote:
Yeah, I get it, (I'll use a less fancy quote) shit happens. Chat is obviously not a priority, and I could see that stuff was being done despite the busy days (e. g. like system). My biggest complaint is the lack of communication, just a simple "oops, this might take some time, but it'll be worth it" and "some stuff gone wrong, but we'll fix it, just bear with us for a moment or two" or "it might take a few weeks longer than expected, we're working to deliver our best" would've been great.
Nonetheless, looking forward to improvements, no matter how long they take.
Erm, the admins here are just regular kids with jobs and lives, and school even I think

They have lives, they're unpaid volunteers that actually dish out their own money not only to keep this site running but moderate it, as well as keep it working and SAFE.

That's no small task- even across three admins and a handful of global and sectional mods.

This site has quite a few users and is fairly complex. These guys aren't professionals who have taken years of schooling to know exactly how things work, so things don't always work out

They're also all under 21.

Like, you can't just walk into a mcdonalds in rush hour and ask for 50 mcdoubles, then get impatient when you can't get them immediately.

I'm just saying, you have to factor in the fact that they're just kids too.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 08:11 AM   #18
phuckphace
VT Lover

I do kinda miss the chatroom but you gotta admit that Java-based shit was a total drag. I would seriously rather use one written in Flash and Flash is pretty disgusting. unfortunately, Java is used because it compiles and runs on literally anything, old and new.

~ not posting anymore cru ~
phuckphace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #19
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends

Miserabilia's Forum Picture

Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee

I really hope the chat gets back soon... I fully understand the problems the staff have though! No pressure. When it gets back I'll enjoy it even more

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #20
kenoloor
hookworm

kenoloor's Forum Picture

we used to have an unofficial irc channel, right? i remember that being sometime around 2011-2013, if i recall correctly. until there's an official flashchat/irc alternative, could people looking for a chat feature be redirected there?

Parables and Parasites
kenoloor is offline   Reply With Quote