Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex
Lightbulb Homework forum!

But Alex, surely you have seen the other threads asking about a homework section where the mods, including myself at some point, direct you to E&C?

Yup. And it's not too uncommon of a suggestion.

Now that I think of it, I've seen quite a few people asking about a homework section, yet I've only seen one or two people actually going to E&C for that. And it's not like teens do not have problems with homework either, nor are wanting help with it. Instead, I feel that the lack of a section dedicated to homework, or not being one of E&C's main goals, means that people do not find it appropriate to ask questions there.

On the other hand, it does both say in the form subtitle
Quote:
Have a good day at school? Bad day at work? Need help with your homework? Come on in and tell us your dream job and the ladder you want to climb.
and in the introductory announcement.
Quote:
In this section you can share experiences from school, college, university or from work. Whether you want help or advice, want to vent about a bad day at school, if you have some questions about work/school, or even if you have a question about a homework problem, post it here!
Why so, haven't people been posting? Is there really noone looking for it?

I withdraw what I said almost an year ago, which I linked above, about spamming questions and lack of socialization. Firstly, P101 survey spamfest, but more than that, I feel that offering homework help in a help website isn't inappropriate, especially when some people have hard times wrapping their heads around some subjects like maths, physics, or grammar. Also, even if we have some people that will only be interested in homework help, it might considerably boost the userbase and our SEO rankings.

I suggest either renaming E&C to E,H&C or something to make it more visible that it's for homework too; advertising in the TWPR or through an announcement that the E&C can be used for homework help, promoting people to use it as such; or, what I find best, creating a subform in E&C specifically for homework.

What do you guys think about this?

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #2
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth
Default Re: Homework forum!

I just don't think this site is known for people asking homework here and therefore they do not think about asking for it when they do come here. puberty for example, is one of the things this site is known for. so many come with questions about puberty

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokémon

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but there's a few things to consider;

- The level of the homework. There are far less members here that would be in the appropriate age group if you were to ask a question relating to degree-level subjects, such as myself. If I were to ask a question regarding my subject, I only know of two users that could offer any sort of help on the entire forum.

- The academia of the country. You'd be in luck if you're asking a US related topic, given the large quantity of users in the US, but people like me in the UK don't know what an "AP level" is. We don't have some subjects so we couldn't help.

- The liability/credibility of the feedback. Say, one person answered a question and the OP used that response to guide their homework, and inevitably received a bad mark or failed. Who would take responsibility? The poster with the wrong answer, or the OP for using that answer? How do you assess how credible a posters response is and how do you know whether to trust it? Do you then google the answer? Because if that was the case, you wouldn't need to have asked the thread in the first place.

- How would you define cheating? Would this be a new rule in the Rules section? Or would it be acceptable to give an OP all the answers? Would this have a detrimental effect in the long run?

I do agree this would be good implementation on a help site, but how would we as a community overcome these potential barriers?
Rayquaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

Hrm, here's what I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza View Post
- The level of the homework. There are far less members here that would be in the appropriate age group if you were to ask a question relating to degree-level subjects, such as myself. If I were to ask a question regarding my subject, I only know of two users that could offer any sort of help on the entire forum.
I imagine people in higher education relying on more specialized means of acquiring answers other than a help forum aimed at a younger audience.

Quote:
- The academia of the country. You'd be in luck if you're asking a US related topic, given the large quantity of users in the US, but people like me in the UK don't know what an "AP level" is. We don't have some subjects so we couldn't help.
I think this is a natural part of being a multicultural forum. Many times I can't answer a thread because I'm not in their socio-geographical context, and times where I can't think of making one because no one would know what I'm talking about. The same would probably happen here, people making threads based off their knowledge of the user base and contextx of previous homework threads.

Even more, this can be a learning opportunity. For example, we don't have pre-calc in Brazil, so seeing a thread about pre-calc could lead someone to investigate what it is, or at least see what's going on in the thread.

Quote:
- The liability/credibility of the feedback. Say, one person answered a question and the OP used that response to guide their homework, and inevitably received a bad mark or failed. Who would take responsibility? The poster with the wrong answer, or the OP for using that answer? How do you assess how credible a posters response is and how do you know whether to trust it? Do you then google the answer? Because if that was the case, you wouldn't need to have asked the thread in the first place.
You got a point there. Ideally, only people that know what they're talking about would reply, but that's surely not going to happen. Unlike H&A, I don't expect too many answers for a single question, reducing the chance of someone reading a faulty answer and spotting the problem out, and another person to confirm them. Also, unlike H&A, saying that VT is a support group and not a substitute for a professional, or moderating the trolls out, doesn't work the same here. Yes, they're on the internet, but probably the next site could be more accurate.

Quote:
- How would you define cheating? Would this be a new rule in the Rules section? Or would it be acceptable to give an OP all the answers? Would this have a detrimental effect in the long run?
What would be cheating, exactly?

I imagine that, instead of giving a list of questions to be answered, a user would give one or two questions they're having difficulties in to get the gist of the exercise, or something troublesome that they didn't quite understand.

-------------------

While writing this, as a plus to the original suggestion, is to a have a sticky about PEMDAS. A striking amount of people still don't get this right.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #5
Rayquaza
Sky High Pokémon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion View Post
What would be cheating, exactly?
Well, as in someone providing all the answers to homework, or the OP plagiarising any part of a response they received. Would this be considered a rule-break on the forum? How would you moderate it?
Rayquaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #6
Jaffe
Great Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe

Hmmm I dunno about this idea. When i get on VT, I am trying to escape from homework, not do more of it. Of course, I don't have to read those posts, so if others want to do it, cool.
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Vlerchan
Globalist Shill

Vlerchan's Forum Picture

I don't think I could support this unless I saw more of an attempt made to ensure that responses were credible. It could be a massive help to struggling teens and towards the forum's numbers - but even allowing a few answers slip through would undermine this. Or at least I'd stop reading altogether if I spotted something wrong: it casts doubts on the rest of the material.

I do like the sound of the idea though. If there was some manner of placing an indication on the profile's of people thought to consistently strong assistance then I would be all for it.

".... the result of a consistent and total substitution of lies for factual truth is not that the lie will now be accepted as truth, and truth be defamed as lie, but that the sense by which we take our bearings in the real world - and the category of truth versus falsehood is among the mental means to this end - is being destroyed ... [H.A.]"
Vlerchan is offline   Reply With Quote