Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 20th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #1
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends

Miserabilia's Forum Picture

Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee
Default Is VT getting less activity?

Okay so this is a bit unspecific, but is VT getting less active members/less new members?

I feel like no matter what time I get on for example, there is nobody in the chat room. A year ago that was really different.

Don't get me wrong, the smaller the community the more personal but I just feel like there are a lot less new posts and activity.

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)
Default Re: Is VT getting less activity?

(Even though it is in VT HQ I personally think it's a TWPR thread so I'll post even though I don't represent VT)

Yes, I honestly believe that VT is slightly less active than it was. I've seen so many profiles of really active and amazing members, but are no longer active. (Mostly because they have 'Grown Up' and 'Moved On'.
And I over the year I have been here, I've seen alot of members move on or disappear. But, I have seen a good deal of newer members that are really active and valuable to VT.

It's a yes and no answer. My personal conclusion is, one generation has gone, a generation is here, and starting to leave, and a new generation is just starting to reveal itself.

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #3
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

After the two week period of downtime we had last year, our SEO rankings got demolished. Google really hit us hard for that and we've been slowly working our way back to the activity level we had prior to the crash. I've seen a slow, but steady, increase in registrations and posts per day over the last 6 months or so.

The chatroom has been rather inactive lately, but I think that is attributed to a few things. Slightly less activity definitely plays a part in it, but I think it's also because a number of active chat users have left the site in the past few months and nobody else has really stepped up and become a staple in the chat room. The best way to get people into the chat room is to go in and wait for a few people to join -- usually when I or a friend of mine does that a number of people end up joining -- but without the chat regulars in there at most times people aren't as enticed to join. A lot of people say "oh the chat room is dead" but in actuality if they just went in and waited for a few people would likely join and it wouldn't be so dead.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #4
Castle of Glass
Awesome Poster

Castle of Glass's Forum Picture

Name: Niilo
Location: In a parallel universe where everything goes my way

i am trying slowly to rebuild the chatroom popularity but it is hard at times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
We hate the struggle of fighting the urges, but don't quit. suffer now, then live as a champion as you over came your battles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet
What if I just pulled myself together, Would it matter at all, What if I just try not to remember, Would it matter at all
Castle of Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 03:03 PM   #5
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
The chatroom has been rather inactive lately, but I think that is attributed to a few things. Slightly less activity definitely plays a part in it, but I think it's also because a number of active chat users have left the site in the past few months and nobody else has really stepped up and become a staple in the chat room. The best way to get people into the chat room is to go in and wait for a few people to join -- usually when I or a friend of mine does that a number of people end up joining -- but without the chat regulars in there at most times people aren't as enticed to join. A lot of people say "oh the chat room is dead" but in actuality if they just went in and waited for a few people would likely join and it wouldn't be so dead.
I agree with Mike. It's like complaining that the train isn't here but you're leaving the station before it has a chance to arrive. If people stuck around in the chatroom for longer and actually tried socializing then it wouldn't be so dead.
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Miserabilia
Our Bipolar Friends

Miserabilia's Forum Picture

Name: dan/johnny foreigner/cheesee

Good point. I'll try lurking/waiting in the chatroom again like back in the day

Hoping activity will come back up again a little. thanks for the responses

shout at the world because the world doesn't love you

lower yourself because you know that you have to.
Miserabilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:50 PM   #7
Jaffe
Great Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe

Wow, the chatroom works? First, I didnt even know about it until recently. Then, when I went to it I got an error... 404? 403? Something.

If its up again, I'd love to be in it, when I have time to sit here. Some days though, like everyone, I only have 15 minutes, which isnt enough time to chat, just to read a few posts and go away.

So.. tomorrow morning, maybe.

Maybe you should "advertise" the chat room more. And can you do "private chats" in the VT Chatroom?
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #8
lyhom
Great Poster

lyhom's Forum Picture

to be fair another reason for the chat inactivity could be that since it runs on java, some browsers might block it because of this whole eliminating npapi thing that stuff like chrome is doing

idk
lyhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:38 AM   #9
StoppingTime
Retired Administrator

StoppingTime's Forum Picture

Name: Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffed View Post
And can you do "private chats" in the VT Chatroom?
We already have a Private Message system for that reason - having private chatrooms is only asking for trouble in terms of moderation

Mikey was here

Elysium was here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan
WILL HOUSING CRISIS CAUSED BY COMMIE HOMOSEXUALIST-ABORTIONIST MARXIST IMMIGRANTS AND WELFARE CHEATS FROM RACIST ANTI-BRITISH EU CAUSE TB RATE FROM VACCINES TO RISE?!
StoppingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #10
DerBear
Retired H&A Mod

DerBear's Forum Picture

Name: Derri

I haven't really been too active on here since December 2013 but if I compare now to then I'll admit that VT has drastically went downhill in terms of activity, probably due to the amount of server issues VT has had over the varying course of 2014 like Mike said. The Chatroom hasn't recovered very much either, back when I was really active around 1am UK time the Chatroom usually had around half a dozen to a dozen people in it and during the day it would always have a steady stream of activity.

Hopefully the more VT is online it'll regain its google rankings. I'm sure it'll quickly recover, after all we have the never ending cesspit that is Puberty 101

Retired Help & Advice Mod

If anyone wants to add me on PSN feel free to send me a PM.
DerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #11
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I also want to say that I think the current ban policy has really come down hard on many contributing regulars to these forums to the point where a decrease in activity has occurred.

I don't know what can be done about that because a lot of the rules here have good reason for being there, but if VT cannot handle such "hot topics" perhaps a link to another forum community who does welcome such discussions can be used to outsource what would get you banned over here without the loss of a contributing conversationalist.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #12
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
I also want to say that I think the current ban policy has really come down hard on many contributing regulars to these forums to the point where a decrease in activity has occurred.

I don't know what can be done about that because a lot of the rules here have good reason for being there, but if VT cannot handle such "hot topics" perhaps a link to another forum community who does welcome such discussions can be used to outsource what would get you banned over here without the loss of a contributing conversationalist.
What gets you banned here is repeated offenses, sex chat/cybering, being overage, and making duplicate accounts. I hardly think those kind of things are unreasonably strict. It has nothing to do with "hot topics." And if I'm misunderstanding you and by "hot topics" you mean sex chat sites, by linking to those we'd be breaking our own rule.

If you want to continue being a contributing conversationalist on VT, read the rules, listen to the mods, and don't use the site to hook up with people. I am not sure how giving someone an alternative site would help them not break rules on ours anyway.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #13
makyoch
Fucking Legend

makyoch's Forum Picture

Name: Yø-Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
Here's the main reason I'm not in there anymore. :P

this is gonna hurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professional Russian
your stil a ducebag jagr
makyoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:58 AM   #14
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
What gets you banned here is repeated offenses, sex chat/cybering, being overage, and making duplicate accounts. I hardly think those kind of things are unreasonably strict. It has nothing to do with "hot topics." And if I'm misunderstanding you and by "hot topics" you mean sex chat sites, by linking to those we'd be breaking our own rule.

If you want to continue being a contributing conversationalist on VT, read the rules, listen to the mods, and don't use the site to hook up with people. I am not sure how giving someone an alternative site would help them not break rules on ours anyway.
Not sex chat sites. Those are obviously obscene and have no place here.

But over the past 3 days I saw 3 people banned two of which had hundreds of posts and I couldn't find any obscene post that makes sense why they were banned rather than perhaps just frozen for a bit.

From my perspective I see that as something that's shrinking the community and is really threatening the quality of advice that can be given when grey area questions are asked by various OP's.

There are many sites regarding sexual health that approach the topic clinically and appropriately without it being inappropriate storytelling.

Those are the types of sites that shouldn't be bad to refer to since techniques cannot be shared here. Even if the intention is to correct a behavior a poster makes that you could suggest an alternative that is safer because you recognize what they currently are practicing is dangerous.
Old June 26th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #15
azure moonstone
glowing

azure moonstone's Forum Picture

Name: Allison

Quote:
Not sex chat sites. Those are obviously obscene and have no place here.

But over the past 3 days I saw 3 people banned two of which had hundreds of posts and I couldn't find any obscene post that makes sense why they were banned rather than perhaps just frozen for a bit.

From my perspective I see that as something that's shrinking the community and is really threatening the quality of advice that can be given when grey area questions are asked by various OP's.
I think you're stuck on the idea that members here on VT must be getting banned for what they post publicly on the forums. As Elysium said above - more often than not...it's not the case.

Most of the time members end up banned for one of several reasons:

- advertising or being a spambot
- it's discovered that someone is overage to have registered
- cybersex/camming
- they have duplicate accounts

(^there are other reasons, but these are the most common ones^)

Yes, members may also be banned if they earn too many infraction points (disobeying staff, fighting, profile violations), but honestly...that's not as common a circumstance as those listed above. Chances are - if you see someone that is banned, it's more likely it's not because of something they posted on the forum.

Last edited by azure moonstone; June 26th, 2015 at 05:41 AM.
azure moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 05:58 AM   #16
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

I'd just like to add that even if we did ban someone for something they posted on the forums, we'd delete the post so you wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 12:50 PM   #17
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Okay.

Well those cases that makes sense.

I guess there are things I can't see like I will concede if I see 3 people banned, they could've really been the same person with multiple profiles which only a mod could see via IP address.

This leads me to ask this question.

How do mods differentiate siblings from the same household from someone with multiple accounts? I'd imagine it'd appear like duplicate accounts but it could still be two people in real life living under one roof and one internet connection.
Old June 26th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #18
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator

ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Quote:
Okay.

Well those cases that makes sense.

I guess there are things I can't see like I will concede if I see 3 people banned, they could've really been the same person with multiple profiles which only a mod could see via IP address.

This leads me to ask this question.

How do mods differentiate siblings from the same household from someone with multiple accounts? I'd imagine it'd appear like duplicate accounts but it could still be two people in real life living under one roof and one internet connection.
Cases like that are few and far between, and we generally handle everything on a case by case basis.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #19
Noody

Noody's Forum Picture

Name: Elliot

"This site uses a plugin (JavaTM) which is unsupported"

I'd love to use the chat room, but there's just no way of me bypassing this issue.. I've tried different browsers, new versions of java etc.

Hi, I'm Noody. Please message me if you want help or a chat, I love talking to people!

"We can make the world stop"
"Your life is a product of your choices."
"There is nothing wrong with being gay anymore, wake up."

17 ~ Gay ~ Male
Noody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #20
Silicate Wielder
Deep-web Survivalist

Silicate Wielder's Forum Picture

Name: Michael

Like Bright nights, I don't represent VT.

It does feel the site is becoming less active, but it's a slow decline. and I think the main reason of this has been the abuse to the site by bots in the last year or so . Nonetheless, we always seem to have a fresh influx of members during the summer.

But let's also keep in mind this; not everything lasts forever.

I like drawing boobs.
Quote:
Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers. - Leonard Brandwein
Silicate Wielder is offline   Reply With Quote