Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #1
ComfortableInChaos
Awesome Poster
 
ComfortableInChaos's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 5, 2013
Location: The State of Dreaming
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default A "liking" system

I've seen on other forums I'm on that there's a "like" system. Is this possible to add here? I'm not sure how many people would actually use this (or if it's ever even been mentioned) but maybe the admin/mods could look into this?

18 year old guy
Gay (bi, but consider myself gay)
Completely open about everything and anything.
Wanna know more? Need advice? Just bored and wanna chat? PM me!
ComfortableInChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #2
Living For Love
Live To Tell
 
Living For Love's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 22, 2013
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

We've had a reputation system in the past, it was removed for a variety of reasons, check this link.


Retired H&A Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #3
Bmble_B
Nice Poster
 
Bmble_B's Forum Picture
 
Name: Changed my mind
Join Date: February 16, 2014
Location: Lavender Town
Age: 17
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

Aw that sucks, I think it'd be cool, but oh well


I wonder what the world would be like without cellphones.

Let's Dance In The Rain.



I'm Different :3
Bmble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #4
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead
 
Typhlosion's Forum Picture
 
Name: Alex
Join Date: December 18, 2013
Location: Brazil!
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: A "liking" system

A survey was done at the end of 2014 and the idea of having a like system was not generally favored. I'm not against such system, but it does have its reasons to not be immediately implemented.

That, and I think it's visual pollution.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #5
ComfortableInChaos
Awesome Poster
 
ComfortableInChaos's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 5, 2013
Location: The State of Dreaming
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nights View Post
We've had a reputation system in the past, it was removed for a variety of reasons, check this link.
Ahh, I see. I don't even remember that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion View Post
A survey was done at the end of 2014 and the idea of having a like system was not generally favored. I'm not against such system, but it does have its reasons to not be immediately implemented.

That, and I think it's visual pollution.
Oh okay. Yeah I left the forum for a little while and have come back from time to time and probably didn't participate lol

18 year old guy
Gay (bi, but consider myself gay)
Completely open about everything and anything.
Wanna know more? Need advice? Just bored and wanna chat? PM me!
ComfortableInChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #6
Cognizant
Smoothie King
 
Cognizant's Forum Picture
 
Name: Patrick
Join Date: January 25, 2012
Location: Bay Area CA
Age: 21
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion View Post
A survey was done at the end of 2014 and the idea of having a like system was not generally favored. I'm not against such system, but it does have its reasons to not be immediately implemented.

That, and I think it's visual pollution.
I was about to find a like button to click to express my approval of your opinion.

The irony is killing me
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #7
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

The like system is kind of controversial because most people who were around for the rep system don't remember it fondly. I myself am not strongly opposed to a like system, but I'm not really a big fan of it either. As alex said, I think it's visual pollution as well.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #8
kryptonite
Member++
 
Join Date: June 27, 2010
Gender: Female
Default Re: A "liking" system

Can I point out the irony of people talking about visual pollution when their signatures are much more larger than their actual posts?

FWIW, I just turned that stuff off in my profile. Still, my point remains.
kryptonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #9
liptonlee
Junior Member+
 
Join Date: April 14, 2013
Location: Asia
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

visual pollution +1

global vision, asian voice.
liptonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Kirina
Banned
 
Join Date: May 6, 2015
Location: Every dimension
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: A "liking" system


Use yellow top bar or next to quote buttons.

If you have liked the post, the like button is hidden.
If more than 2-3 likes the post, you will have to click or hover to see the rest of the names.

It's at least not visual pollution compared to the big cluttered signatures, some users on this forum has.

The feature will actually decrease visual pollution by decreasing "empty posts". Posts that only agrees with something said already, without adding anything new. Some users would have used the like feature instead.
Kirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 03:39 PM   #11
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf
 
Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture
 
Name: Matt
Join Date: January 11, 2012
Location: A cold dark cave near the road to nowhere
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

I was around for the Rep system. It isn't one of fonder VT memories.
I'm not opposed to a like system, but I'm not sure that a like system is really needed since you can go to the top of the thread and click on Rate Thread. Then again maybe Rate Thread could be changed to Like Thread.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 06:58 PM   #12
fairmaiden
Nice Poster
 
fairmaiden's Forum Picture
 
Name: :)
Join Date: May 26, 2012
Location: lana del hay hay
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiztle View Post
image
Use yellow top bar or next to quote buttons.

If you have liked the post, the like button is hidden.
If more than 2-3 likes the post, you will have to click or hover to see the rest of the names.

It's at least not visual pollution compared to the big cluttered signatures, some users on this forum has.

The feature will actually decrease visual pollution by decreasing "empty posts". Posts that only agrees with something said already, without adding anything new. Some users would have used the like feature instead.
That's a pretty cool idea.



i will love you till the end of time
fairmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #13
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiztle View Post
image
Use yellow top bar or next to quote buttons.

If you have liked the post, the like button is hidden.
If more than 2-3 likes the post, you will have to click or hover to see the rest of the names.

It's at least not visual pollution compared to the big cluttered signatures, some users on this forum has.

The feature will actually decrease visual pollution by decreasing "empty posts". Posts that only agrees with something said already, without adding anything new. Some users would have used the like feature instead.
That looks nice, but did you come up with that on your own and shop it in, or is that from an actual modification? Because a lot of ideas are good in theory, but the execution or actuality of a modification looking like that may not be feasible. I've tested and seen like-post addons before and for vBulletin 3.8 they haven't looked anywhere near as nice as that.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #14
Kirina
Banned
 
Join Date: May 6, 2015
Location: Every dimension
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCoolBeans View Post
That looks nice, but did you come up with that on your own and shop it in, or is that from an actual modification? Because a lot of ideas are good in theory, but the execution or actuality of a modification looking like that may not be feasible. I've tested and seen like-post addons before and for vBulletin 3.8 they haven't looked anywhere near as nice as that.
Took it from another forum, it uses http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

Here's how it looks. http://i.gyazo.com/33cb5acbae39b723e27f219dd568784c.png There the like button is placed where the post content is tho, it can do that because the posts have empty space. While on VT it's more compact.

Would be nice if it could be done.
Kirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #15
ImCoolBeans
Retired Administrator
 
ImCoolBeans's Forum Picture
 
Name: Mike
Join Date: April 26, 2010
Location: US
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiztle View Post
Took it from another forum, it uses http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

Here's how it looks. http://i.gyazo.com/33cb5acbae39b723e27f219dd568784c.png There the like button is placed where the post content is tho, it can do that because the posts have empty space. While on VT it's more compact.

Would be nice if it could be done.
Unfortunately IPB addons aren't compatible with vBulletin. It does look very nice, though.

Always here to help. Don't hesitate to PM me.


Machines Are Taking Over
-Ron
-and also Beth, with Max too
Contact me at [email protected]
Jon was here
"The Goderator" Worshiper
*Ali*-
Officially blessed by Elysium, The Goderator
ImCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM   #16
ellie2000
Junior Member
 
ellie2000's Forum Picture
 
Name: Ellie
Join Date: February 28, 2014
Location: Brighton UK
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Default Re: A "liking" system

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden View Post
That's a pretty cool idea.
I also like the sound of that
ellie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Sir Suomi
Awesome Poster
 
Sir Suomi's Forum Picture
 
Name: Austin
Join Date: September 20, 2012
Location: Nebraska, United States
Age: 20
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: A "liking" system

No. Just no. I was around when all the controversy happened with the liking system. It caused more grief than it did good.

Agnostic l Conservative l 18 l Trump Is Love, Trump Is LIfe


Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace View Post
um excuse me bigot, I'm actually a smart person trapped inside an ignorant person's body
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuckphace View Post
"I will not sit quietly and watch phuckphace shred the Constitution." -Rand Paul
Sir Suomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #18
Melodic
VT's Rising Vocalist
 
Melodic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Madie
Join Date: May 31, 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 19
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 11
Default Re: A "liking" system

I think it's a good idea. Well, if the liking system could be used in a more uplifting than negative way. But given all that happened, I wouldn't say it should be back on the site.

"May the space of where I am, and where I want to be inspire me"
Melodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #19
Abhorrence
Death
 
Abhorrence's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 28, 2014
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: A "liking" system

I would say it's a good idea if it was implemented properly but even then I don't know whether it would just be overlooked.


Nothing will be waiting for you at the end of this life.

Ask // Private Message
~Mike was here~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Spooky scary labia
Abhorrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #20
HUSTLEMAN
Nice Poster
 
HUSTLEMAN's Forum Picture
 
Name: Keyshawn
Join Date: July 27, 2012
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Gender: Male
Default Re: A "liking" system

I was there near the end of the reputation system. It wasn't pretty so can we please not go down that road again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
George Bush isn't smart enough to understand how to do an inside job
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicNoodle View Post
Nobody dies a virgin, life fucks us all.
HUSTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org