Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 11th, 2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Name: Pebbles
Default Question connected with 2 words.

The words "oldag" and "newfag" - are they contemplated as insults?
Asking, since by definition they do not pose as insults, but having the word "fag", may contradict that.
I've been wondering for awhile if these words are deemed as insults.

No, I ain't talking about calling another user an oldfag/newfag.
If they are considered as insults, then I'm guessing that I can use them in vents, when sharing stories about other people(non-users of course), etc.
Let Me Be a Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:00 PM   #2
Horatio Nelson
Retired Bro

Horatio Nelson's Forum Picture

Name: Zach
Default Re: Question connected with 2 words.

Any form of the word "fag" is offensive and will not be permitted on VT, no matter who you are saying it to.

Horatio Nelson

"All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19*Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20*Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
-Ali-
Horatio Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #3
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Nelson View Post
Any form of the word "fag" is offensive and will not be permitted on VT, no matter who you are saying it to.
Thanks for the information. That's what was needed.

Is there a list of words which are not to be used?
I see the word "fuck" a lot for example. It is offensive, but deemed inoffensive to the Forum(during vents).
Also confused with the words used for venting. What's allowed, what isn't? I've read the rules, it just deems more questions.

Thought that offensive words as a whole are to be censored, only if they're aimed towards certain VT members.
When venting, there are words also that are not allowed?
http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96130 Tried to get myself on track by viewing similar threads to mine.

Also, have seen the word "fag" used in the forums, to describe a fag(cigarette). Now, I'm reading here that any form of the word "fag" is offensive.
It's confusing, that's all. Asking so I know what to do in the future and what not to do.

Last edited by Let Me Be a Pony; May 11th, 2015 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Done with the edits.
Old May 11th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #4
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Vulgarity may not be used toward or against another VT member. It falls under our flaming rule. Otherwise, we don't really have any ban on certain words, but we will take action if something you say or do is offensive (which could of course depend on context; a lot of things are on a case by case basis). For example, we don't allow nazi symbols. Does that help?

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 03:43 PM   #5
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
Vulgarity may not be used toward or against another VT member. It falls under our flaming rule. Otherwise, we don't really have any ban on certain words, but we will take action if something you say or do is offensive (which could of course depend on context; a lot of things are on a case by case basis). For example, we don't allow nazi symbols. Does that help?
Aye, I was expecting it would not be permitted such words to be aimed towards a member. But venting, if I am to theoretically vent out my emotions using offensive words without aiming any insults to members, it would be permitted or regarded as dismay?
Thanks for answering.
I'm going to go smoke a fag after this.
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossary View Post
Aye, I was expecting it would not be permitted such words to be aimed towards a member. But venting, if I am to theoretically vent out my emotions using offensive words without aiming any insults to members, it would be permitted or regarded as dismay?
Thanks for answering.
I'm going to go smoke a fag after this.
I mean, I can imagine someone talking about being bullied and saying that people call them a "fag" and all and there'd be no reason to take action against that that I can think of. I won't say it's true for all cases since it really varies, though. If you're ever unsure, you can always run something by a staff member first.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #7
Typhlosion
Fire-type Metalhead

Typhlosion's Forum Picture

Name: Alex

I guess you're referring to your post in the ROTW that got censored: http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=224208

It doesn't make sense to censor the words "newfag" and "oldfag" if they're being used just to illustrate/demonstrate the hostility of the internet in such discussion. It's like censoring the word "Nazi" when talking about WWII. If anything, readers and posters are losing the opportunity to learn what the words "newfag" and "oldfag" mean by having them censored.

Also, if you really think of it, in it's common context those two words have nothing to do with offending someone by their sexuality.

Formerly at your service! ^^
Ex-GD Mod

Straight / Atheist / Metalhead / Right-wing / Aspie

Last edited by Typhlosion; May 11th, 2015 at 04:20 PM.
Typhlosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #8
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhlosion View Post
I guess you're referring to your post in the ROTW that got censored: http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh...d.php?t=224208

It doesn't make sense to censor the words "newfag" and "oldfag" if they're being used just to illustrate/demonstrate the hostility of the internet in such discussion. It's like censoring the word "Nazi" when talking about WWII. If anything, readers and posters are losing the opportunity to learn what the words "newfag" and "oldfag" mean by having them censored.

Also, if you really think of it, in it's common context those two words have nothing to do with offending someone by their sexuality.
This is mainly what got me to make the thread.
It's confusing - The definitions of these words have nothing indeed to do with sexuality.
The words are represented by internet slang. Newfag is the exact synonym of the word "newbie", and an oldfag is the synonym of the word "oldbie".
The word "fag"(the word used to describe a ciggie) can be used, but the word with the context that opposes an insult can not. Okay.
But the words "oldfag" and "newfag" may not? They got nothing to do with sexuality, guys.
It's like saying that a fag(ciggie) ought be banned, for it offends the sexuality, since the same word has another different offensive definition.
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover

If I might add my two cents.

I've never heard those terms new* and old* before and when you said them I was utterly confused about what you meant.

Sometimes slang is very vague and it would be better to articulately describe what and why something is upsetting.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #10
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossary View Post
This is mainly what got me to make the thread.
It's confusing - The definitions of these words have nothing indeed to do with sexuality.
The words are represented by internet slang. Newfag is the exact synonym of the word "newbie", and an oldfag is the synonym of the word "oldbie".
The word "fag"(the word used to describe a ciggie) can be used, but the word with the context that opposes an insult can not. Okay.
But the words "oldfag" and "newfag" may not? They got nothing to do with sexuality, guys.
It's like saying that a fag(ciggie) ought be banned, for it offends the sexuality, since the same word has another different offensive definition.
I don't see why you should make a big deal out of it though.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #11
James Dean
Rebel

James Dean's Forum Picture

Name: Charles

We do allow members to use curse words when appropriate. But I don't think any offensive words which includes words that could cause offense to our members are allowed. There are however exceptions to the rule which were already explained.

Many of our members here are part of LGBT community of some sort.

I have seen those terms used before and they are pretty popular sayings on the internet, we just aren't going to allow them being used here. They could be seemed offensive, or an act of bullying as I said before to a big part of members here.

It is showing people of that group in a negative light. It is basically saying that someone who is gay, is someone who is different and everyone avoids and stays away from, hence the term "newfag". A new user who people avoid because they are new and don't know anything and people don't want mess with.

It also shows that someone who is gay, won't stop saying that they are gay and wants everyone to accept them because they are gay, hence the term "oldfag". A long time member of a forum who basically believes what he says is right.

I understand that with this generation and I myself am guilty of it, that sometimes words have double meanings. But in this case, I have to disagree with you.

Of course if you are from England, you can say "fag" (cigarette), as it has a different meaning there. But "newfag" and "oldfag" are not okay, those words in this context, are not allowed.

If you want to use them for ranting purposes or if it isn't related to others members, it would have to depend and we would have to evaluate that and see.

I just want you to see the real meanings behind the words and how they are considered offensive.

Again, I understand that being that we are all young, it's only natural to want to use recent words or slang and some of it fine to use, however there is a fine line to that.

If a staff member feels what you typed was not allowed, they will take action.

I hope this helped you understand. I think you are a great member here, and I really appreciate you being concerned about this.

VM
PM

"You could stop at five or six stores, or just one."

Last edited by James Dean; May 12th, 2015 at 06:46 AM.
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:54 AM   #12
Let Me Be a Pony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
We do allow members to use curse words when appropriate. But I don't think any offensive words which includes words that could cause offense to our members are allowed. There are however exceptions to the rule which were already explained.

Many of our members here are part of LGBT community of some sort.

I have seen those terms used before and they are pretty popular sayings on the internet, we just aren't going to allow them being used here. They could be seemed offense or an act of bullying as I said before to a big part of members here.

It is showing people of that group in a negative light. It is basically saying that someone who is gay, is someone who is different and everyone avoids and stays away from, hence the term "newfag". A new user who people avoid because they are new and don't know anything and people don't want mess with.

It also shows that someone who is gay, won't stop saying that they are gay and wants everyone to accept them because they are gay, hence the term "oldfag". A long time member of a forum who basically believes what he says is right.

I understand that with this generation and I myself am I guilty of it, that sometimes words have double meanings. But in this case, I have to disagree with you.

Of course if you are from England, you can say "fag" (cigarette), as it has a different meaning there. But "newfag" and "oldfag" are not okay, those words in this context, are not allowed.

If you want to use them for debate purposes you can, but other than that, probably not.

Again, I understand that being that we are all young, it's only natural to want to use recent words or slang and some of it fine to use, however there is a fine line to that.

If a staff member feels what you typed was not allowed, they will take action.

I hope this helped you understand. I think you are a great member here, and I really appreciate you being concerned about this.
Alright, glad we got this question out of the cannon. Thanks for helping, mods!

I do think that questions regarding similar uncertainty ought be asked, for future mistakes not to transpire in the future.
Have used slang words for a prolonged period of time and some words conflict with my mind when on VT, considering some regulations and the numerous definitions(some brusque with an off hand manner).
Thanks again, for helping, guys.