Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 9th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #1
fairmaiden
Nice Poster

fairmaiden's Forum Picture

Name: :)
Default not really a ''crisis'' per se but

So currently I have slight paranoia over my laptop webcam? it's really odd. I mean, I found a trojan in my laptop a few days ago and ever since then I've been worried that my laptop webcam was hacked. my anti-virus is pretty decent and so is my firewall. I don't think I've clicked on any suspicious links, except for links that my friends have sent me.

There's nothing really indicative of my webcam being hacked. It could have just been a normal virus (well not normal but like a run-of-the-mill virus.) There wasn't a blinking LED light, or anything amiss; there was nothing.

I deleted the virus and I know it's gone for good now but still; I hate the idea of someone having looked through and watching my every move; it really irritates me. I don't think about it often but it still bugs me lol.

I watched a film a few weeks ago about someone's webcam being hacked and I guess that could have partly fueled this.

How can I cure my mild paranoia about this issue? I'd also appreciate it if someone who's experienced with computers and stuff could post an answer in this thread? thanks.

i will love you till the end of time

Last edited by fairmaiden; April 9th, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
fairmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Horatio Nelson
Retired Bro

Horatio Nelson's Forum Picture

Name: Zach
Default Re: not really a ''crisis'' per se but

Cover your webcam? If it's bothering you that much, than that's really all I can think of.

If you've done a full system scan and are positive your computer is clean, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But I do understand the paranoia.

Horatio Nelson

"All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19*Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20*Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
-Ali-
Horatio Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Vermilion
Awesome Poster

Vermilion's Forum Picture

Name: ....

A simple fix might be putting something over the Web cam. I'm no good with computers so I'm not much help.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #4
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

I guess as the others said cover your webcam. I do not know if there would be a way to tell if it was hacked or not by taking it to an expert

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #5
fairmaiden
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Nelson View Post
Cover your webcam? If it's bothering you that much, than that's really all I can think of.

If you've done a full system scan and are positive your computer is clean, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. But I do understand the paranoia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin View Post
A simple fix might be putting something over the Web cam. I'm no good with computers so I'm not much help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
I guess as the others said cover your webcam. I do not know if there would be a way to tell if it was hacked or not by taking it to an expert
Oh I'm not paranoid about it watching me now, I'm sorta paranoid of it watching me before (While the virus was still in my system). I think the reason why I'm paranoid is because I don't know why someone would want to hack my webcam, and I don't know who the person could have been (even though it's pretty likely that my webcam wasn't even hacked in the first place)

Old April 9th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #6
xXoblivionXx
Awkward Taco :3

xXoblivionXx's Forum Picture

I used to be like that, so I cut a post it note and put it over.
xXoblivionXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Uranus
Mah Home

Uranus's Forum Picture

Name: Thomas (Yung Merk)

I understand. But still, even if there's no viruses, your government can still watch you. The NSA here are capable of it. Not trying to worry you, you know that, but I am simply stating the facts. If it helps, try covering your webcam.

#ThugLife
Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #8
fairmaiden
Nice Poster

To be honest i'm not really that bothered about the government because they most likely do it to everyone so I can't escape that; what I'm more worried about is a random unknown person trying to hack into my webcam and record me going about my everyday life lol

Old April 11th, 2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Atom

Atom's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmaiden View Post
So currently I have slight paranoia over my laptop webcam.
As everyone else said, - just cover your cam. I put a piece of black tape over mine as soon as I bought a new laptop. This will prevent anyone from looking through your webcam in the future even if they do try. Also I would advise not to worry about the past because you cannot change it, don't create entropy in your mind over something you can't control You can, however, change the future.

19 Gay Vegetarian
Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #10
fairmaiden
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom View Post
As everyone else said, - just cover your cam. I put a piece of black tape over mine as soon as I bought a new laptop. This will prevent anyone from looking through your webcam in the future even if they do try. Also I would advise not to worry about the past because you cannot change it, don't create entropy in your mind over something you can't control You can, however, change the future.
Thank you very much I think you've helped me relax about the matter now aha

A big thank you to everyone who replied!

Mods please close!