Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Old March 10th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #1
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick
Default Social Anxiety at school?

I'm not the most social being on planet earth. Whatever. I've learned to live with it and I don't mind that my friends are the ones starting the conversation 60% of the time.
I don't mind making small talk with coworkers at work on the clock, I don't stress out about interacting with customers or my boss, I don't mind interacting with other people when necessary (such as talking to a teacher about stuff, mechanic about my car, or to my doctor, etc). Hell, I've even been able to have conversations with strangers on the bus or train without even a sense of nervousness or anxiety, even if they are a bit rough.

But school is an entire different story. Unless I'm interacting with a good friend, I freeze up. I get super nervous meeting new people at school. Sometimes just walking through the halls at school is enough to get my heartbeat to increase. I get real quiet at school, and it bothers the hell out of me. I don't know why school gets me acting like that. Not gonna lie, there's time's I've showed up on campus late purposely so that I don't have to see other people.
But is that social anxiety? How would you go about trying to alleviate (or at least cover up) the anxiety?

I have a feeling that college will be better, because either I will fit in better, blend in the crowd better, or nobody will give a shit and I will have my old high school friends, family, and coworkers to keep me company. But yeah. Getting to my high school each day is really painful (sometimes unbearable) for me.
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Quake3fan

Name: Brandon
Default Re: Social Anxiety at school?

Honestly bro, I know that exact feeling. It just eats away over time and cripples you... the way I fought it was realizing my anxiety was caused by thoughs which helped me push through. I have a job and at work, oddly, my anxiety disapears. I think its just the hostility of school that placed the thoughts to take control. But push through and hang in there man. Hope my experience helps somehow
Quake3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #3
JamesSuperBoy
Awesome Poster

JamesSuperBoy's Forum Picture

Name: ^*~James~*^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognizant View Post
I'm not the most social being on planet earth. Whatever. I've learned to live with it and I don't mind that my friends are the ones starting the conversation 60% of the time.
I don't mind making small talk with coworkers at work on the clock, I don't stress out about interacting with customers or my boss, I don't mind interacting with other people when necessary (such as talking to a teacher about stuff, mechanic about my car, or to my doctor, etc). Hell, I've even been able to have conversations with strangers on the bus or train without even a sense of nervousness or anxiety, even if they are a bit rough.

But school is an entire different story. Unless I'm interacting with a good friend, I freeze up. I get super nervous meeting new people at school. Sometimes just walking through the halls at school is enough to get my heartbeat to increase. I get real quiet at school, and it bothers the hell out of me. I don't know why school gets me acting like that. Not gonna lie, there's time's I've showed up on campus late purposely so that I don't have to see other people.
But is that social anxiety? How would you go about trying to alleviate (or at least cover up) the anxiety?

I have a feeling that college will be better, because either I will fit in better, blend in the crowd better, or nobody will give a shit and I will have my old high school friends, family, and coworkers to keep me company. But yeah. Getting to my high school each day is really painful (sometimes unbearable) for me.
I guess what you is set by the time you have left at that school it may be you feel worse trying to sort out how you feel. Good you know things will be different at college. Maybe at school its just the huge number of people around you or something past has made you anxious?
JamesSuperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #4
DayintheCity

Name: Dale

Will things actually get better at College? They said the same thing in elementary, middle school and high school. Next thing it'll be "things will get better when you are retired"
DayintheCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Sendhelp

I read your post. I relate to almost all of it. I freeze up at school and have no idea what to do to get out of it. My school sucks too. Let me know if you'd like to talk.

Sorry to bother you!!
Sendhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #6
Cognizant
Smoothie King

Cognizant's Forum Picture

Name: Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake3fan View Post
Honestly bro, I know that exact feeling. It just eats away over time and cripples you... the way I fought it was realizing my anxiety was caused by thoughs which helped me push through. I have a job and at work, oddly, my anxiety disapears. I think its just the hostility of school that placed the thoughts to take control. But push through and hang in there man. Hope my experience helps somehow
Thanks for the support bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSuperBoy View Post
I guess what you is set by the time you have left at that school it may be you feel worse trying to sort out how you feel. Good you know things will be different at college. Maybe at school its just the huge number of people around you or something past has made you anxious?
I think it's just my high school. I can stand on a subway train packed to the doors with people and be fine tbh. I just have issues with my high school, the people, and how much they expect from us. It's really horrible, our school district has had enough suicides recently to make it to the local news channels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayintheCity View Post
Will things actually get better at College? They said the same thing in elementary, middle school and high school. Next thing it'll be "things will get better when you are retired"
I honestly think it'll be different in college, because nobody gives a shit about who you are or what you're doing in life in the beginning. At least in my school district, there's a lot of pressure to do well and be an outstanding student -- and if you're not, well a shit storms'a brewin.
In college, you're paying for it, and everybody is there to do one thing - get a degree while preforming to the best of their ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendhelp View Post
I read your post. I relate to almost all of it. I freeze up at school and have no idea what to do to get out of it. My school sucks too. Let me know if you'd like to talk.

Sorry to bother you!!
Feel free to send me a message if you'd like to talk! I could talk for hours about my shitty little high school
Cognizant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 01:04 AM   #7
Thomas01
Member++

Thomas01's Forum Picture

Yeah I used to have the same problem. It hasn't gone away completely but I just use some anxiety relief tricks to avoid it as much as possible.

Like I could walk through the halls just playing with a button on my shirt and focus on that for a bit, the anxiety calms down and then I reach my friends, the people I feel comfortable about

Another thing I do is tell myself, "these are just thought, people may be staring at me, they might not be, I don't know, and me being stressed won't change it"

Number games also do the trick without being too obvious. Count in your head by a different number each time and before you know it, you're where you need to be

And yeah, think about how college will be different. It seems like you're almost there, just a few more months

I hope this helps however it can sorry if my response was a bit off topic

17 year old, gay guy
I haven't been on for like a year, so just getting back into
Up for a chat anytime (English/franšais)
Thomas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #8
JamesSuperBoy
Awesome Poster

JamesSuperBoy's Forum Picture

Name: ^*~James~*^

I was thinking about this again - for sure the pressure is part of it but also. I think at school there is a huge amount of "pupil or student" and not enough of us as people so regardless we just have to kinda give up a whole load of ourselves and the fit in to some random mould identity thing. We shed of some individuality just to fit.
JamesSuperBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #9
badpig316

badpig316's Forum Picture

Name: Jake

I hate that feeling. I just get so mad at myself when I know I have a great chance to make a new friend but I just cant come up with anything to say. I feel like everything I am gonna say is stupid or something.
badpig316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Sugilite

Sugilite's Forum Picture

I really hate anxiety attacks. I get mine irregularly, but frankly almost never at school. I can never calm myself out of it, it just passes, sometimes it takes few minutes, sometimes hours.
Weird thing is that I never get them while being surrounded by people, or in a public place, such as school. I have attacks when I talk with someone I barely know, and there are no distractions in the place we are. Sometimes this happens while texting too.
Sometimes they just randomly strike when I'm around the house.

~Ask me anything~

~Pronouns; they/them (or any other variant of gender neutral).~

Sugilite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #11
annewilde
Banned

Name: anne

I have never had any attacks like that I get nervous but that is all
annewilde is offline   Reply With Quote