Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 26th, 2015, 11:53 AM   #1
RickMason
Junior Member+

RickMason's Forum Picture

Name: Rick
Post Multiple personalities/imaginary friends

It all started in my early teens. My father used to work late and I was home all alone so after a time some people came to visit. They were not a part of the physical world yet they seemed to be much better than anyone I've ever met. They were me... just a little different. The first one I called Rick Mason (surprise, it is not MY name that resides as my nick), low middle class read-haired outgoing laid back boy, the embodiment of my extrovert, rebellious self. The second one was called Kim, blue eyes and long fair hair, almost looking girly, the incarnation of my sensitive and witty self. After a while I became obsessed with them and I could have hours of conversations without being bored. I lost most of my real world friends as I thought I found a better deal with these two... But it turned my life into a freak show. I wanted long fair hair like Kim or a laid back attitude like Rick. I imagined being them... the illusion got me down until the year I turned 14, at that time I became tired of them and they slowly disappeared from my life. I don't know what it all meant, perhaps a way of dealing with my loneliness gone wrong (and fortunately gone for good)... or symptoms of something bigger?
I don't talk to them anymore, the thing is, they disappeared not very long after I came out to myself as being homosexual, so I can't stop myself from seeing a connection there too. Anything like this happened to any of you? Any advices or opinions on what to do do or what to make of this?

Two Italians enter the bus in New York and start very noisy conversation:
" .... 'em come first, then I come, two asses together, I come again, two asses together, then I pee, pee again and I come in the end... "
An old lady nereby can't stand it any longer and says:
" You pigs, what a shame to discuss your disgusting sexual life on public!!!! "
Italian: " Hey, wassup lady??? I just tella my friend, how to spella Mississippi....."
RickMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Default Re: Multiple personalities/imaginary friends

Honestly, you sound like you were a lonely kid who needed someone to hang out with and came up with those two as a way of coping. Imaginary friends aren't just for five-year-olds. I had imaginary friends for a long time because my real friends thought bullying me was more fun that actually hanging out with me. So I created new friends. By the sounds of it, you may have gotten a tad obsessive and started mixing up the real world with the place that you had created but like you said... it went away. A lot of times we want to be different people, based off of ideas given to us by real-world people or the ideal versions of us that we've made up. I think once you came out to yourself and started accepting who you were, you didn't need to have these imaginary friends and role models anymore.

I don't think this sounds like a psychiatric disorder, at least not one by any medical diagnostic criteria that I can think of. That being said, I'm not an expert. If you are really concerned, you can always speak to a professional but I think they'll say the same thing I just did.

Here's a couple questions and answers to help you with this:

Have you ever experienced periods of black outs where you were unaware of what was happening but others said you were completely there, if acting out of character? If no, you definitely don't have any form of a dissociative personality disorder.

Have you ever looked at yourself in a mirror and not known who you were looking at? Or have you felt disconnected from the real world as if looking at it from outside or from a dream? If no, don't worry. If yes, also don't worry unless it's a persisting thing, in which case you might want to speak to someone. Those are dissociative episodes, the first being depersonalization, the second derealization. I've suffered from both. Often they are coping mechanisms when we are having some sort of internal or external crisis. I think everyone goes through one or two of these, especially in their teens, but some people have them frequently as part of either a dissociative disorder or symptoms of something else (I get them because I've been diagnosed with BPD which often has moments of severe lack of identity with oneself, among a long list of other things).

I hope this helps a little or at least gives you a bit of insight. I think you were just coping in the only way you knew how at the time and it seems like things are either more stable now or you've figured out how to cope in a more healthy manner and that's why it's gone away.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #3
RickMason
Junior Member+

RickMason's Forum Picture

Name: Rick
Default Re: Multiple personalities/imaginary friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla View Post
Honestly, you sound like you were a lonely kid who needed someone to hang out with and came up with those two as a way of coping. Imaginary friends aren't just for five-year-olds. I had imaginary friends for a long time because my real friends thought bullying me was more fun that actually hanging out with me. So I created new friends. By the sounds of it, you may have gotten a tad obsessive and started mixing up the real world with the place that you had created but like you said... it went away. A lot of times we want to be different people, based off of ideas given to us by real-world people or the ideal versions of us that we've made up. I think once you came out to yourself and started accepting who you were, you didn't need to have these imaginary friends and role models anymore.

I don't think this sounds like a psychiatric disorder, at least not one by any medical diagnostic criteria that I can think of. That being said, I'm not an expert. If you are really concerned, you can always speak to a professional but I think they'll say the same thing I just did.

Here's a couple questions and answers to help you with this:

Have you ever experienced periods of black outs where you were unaware of what was happening but others said you were completely there, if acting out of character? If no, you definitely don't have any form of a dissociative personality disorder.

Have you ever looked at yourself in a mirror and not known who you were looking at? Or have you felt disconnected from the real world as if looking at it from outside or from a dream? If no, don't worry. If yes, also don't worry unless it's a persisting thing, in which case you might want to speak to someone. Those are dissociative episodes, the first being depersonalization, the second derealization. I've suffered from both. Often they are coping mechanisms when we are having some sort of internal or external crisis. I think everyone goes through one or two of these, especially in their teens, but some people have them frequently as part of either a dissociative disorder or symptoms of something else (I get them because I've been diagnosed with BPD which often has moments of severe lack of identity with oneself, among a long list of other things).

I hope this helps a little or at least gives you a bit of insight. I think you were just coping in the only way you knew how at the time and it seems like things are either more stable now or you've figured out how to cope in a more healthy manner and that's why it's gone away.
First of all... Thank you for responding and reacting to my sort of struggle.
I feel sorry for you being bullied, there were periods in my life when this was happening to me... When I got to the age of reason I started reading books and watching documentaries while my friends played games and watched movies. Since I was different and I didn't have a thing to share with them they expulsed me from the collective and started mocking me... nothing physical though.
I believe it happened like you said, it might have been just a time killer for a loner such as myself.
I have never experienced blackouts as you described them and as for the mirror part I recognized my face though my mind was filled with disappointment and pity over the fact I did recognize myself. No dreamy or outside look at the world has not occurred with me.
BPD sounds like an unpleasant issue to live with, I wish you the best to deal with it.
I still see the two of my friends from time to time though I never start any conversations as I fear it may be a step backwards in my struggle to keep whatever it is out of my life as I try to restore it to some kind of optimal or at least workable level.
Thank you again and wish you a pleasant day.

Two Italians enter the bus in New York and start very noisy conversation:
" .... 'em come first, then I come, two asses together, I come again, two asses together, then I pee, pee again and I come in the end... "
An old lady nereby can't stand it any longer and says:
" You pigs, what a shame to discuss your disgusting sexual life on public!!!! "
Italian: " Hey, wassup lady??? I just tella my friend, how to spella Mississippi....."
RickMason is offline   Reply With Quote