Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 19th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #1
averygamerdude
Banned

Name: Avery
Unhappy Why do people try to stop others from committing suicide?

I seriously don't get it. I feel like people should have the right to kill themselves if they so wish. It's not like they're hurting anybody, it's a victimless crime, in fact! Even though I'm sure everyone will disagree. I think it's selfish to try and stop somebody from killing themselves. It's their choice! If they're dead, they won't be able to feel pain or work for like 10 cents an hour. I also found out that they're building a suicide net on the Golden Gate bridge. Looks like I'm gonna have to bring a blow torch with me when I jump off of there...
averygamerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Höek
Default Re: Why do people try to stop others from committing suicide?

A victimless crime? Are you kidding me?? Do you even KNOW what the aftermath of a suicide is?

Someone who loves the victim will most likely find their body, or some other innocent person.

Why is this it a big deal if it's some rando who doesn't even know them? SUICIDE IS GRAPHIC. DEATH, GRAPHIC.

There's a reason some people go into therapy after finding murder victims. Suicides can be just as bad.

Now imagine if you LOVE the person who is now a mangled corpse in front of you?

You also have to plan all these events so that they can be properly taken care of while you're still in shock and grief. People will judge you, and say awful things about you, and this person you love because suicide is so heavily misunderstood and stigmatized. Look at what happened to Zelda Williams after her father committed suicide this year. (Zelda is the daughter of the late comedian and actor Robin Williams, if you weren't already aware.)

When someone commits suicide, they leave a lot of people hurt, angry, frustrated, traumatized. People blame themselves, others. It can tear families apart.

Suicide is a complex topic, and there is a lot of grey area, because there are SOME instances that suicide is justifiable, at least in my opinion. Like when someone is terminally ill, therefore already dying, as a way to shorten suffering.

Suicide is MANY things, but victimless? Suicide is hardly any less victimless than homicide.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #3
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisenUpJanetWeiss View Post
A victimless crime? Are you kidding me?? Do you even KNOW what the aftermath of a suicide is?

Someone who loves the victim will most likely find their body, or some other innocent person.

Why is this it a big deal if it's some rando who doesn't even know them? SUICIDE IS GRAPHIC. DEATH, GRAPHIC.

There's a reason some people go into therapy after finding murder victims. Suicides can be just as bad.

You also have to plan all these events so that they can be properly taken care of while you're still in shock and grief. People will judge you, and say awful things about you, and this person you love because suicide is so heavily misunderstood and stigmatized. Look at what happened to Zelda Williams after her father committed suicide this year. (Zelda is the daughter of the late comedian and actor Robin Williams, if you weren't already aware.)

When someone commits suicide, they leave a lot of people hurt, angry, frustrated, traumatized. People blame themselves, others. It can tear families apart.

Suicide is a complex topic, and there is a lot of grey area, because there are SOME instances that suicide is justifiable, at least in my opinion. Like when someone is terminally ill, therefore already dying, as a way to shorten suffering.

Suicide is MANY things, but victimless? Suicide is hardly any less victimless than homicide.
Perfectly said, but I still think someone should have the right to vomit suicide if they so please, its there body, no one else's. But I do think, if o wish to end MY OWN life, I should be able to. Hell, I don't see why its illegel to kill yourself, what the fuck are they gonna do about it? Throw a corpse in jail?

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #4
averygamerdude
Banned

Quote:

I was right when I said that EVERYONE would disagree. :/

It's just that living has become too much of a chore for me. I just don't like the idea of sitting in some security office late at night, all by myself, watching security cameras at some place that is probably gonna go bankrupt in the next month for 10 cents an hour for the rest of my life.
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #5
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by averygamerdude View Post
I was right when I said that EVERYONE would disagree. :/

It's just that living has become too much of a chore for me. I just don't like the idea of sitting in some security office late at night, all by myself, watching security cameras at some place that is probably gonna go bankrupt in the next month for 10 cents an hour for the rest of my life.
Because you're kind of wrong, no offense. I mean, suicide is a victimless crime to the person who commits it maybe- in which case homicide is as well- is the person going to know any better? No. They're dead.

The whole point of "victimless" means that no one but the perpetrator is affected... And that isn't even close to correct in this case.

Honestly? I do feel for you there, because my life is pretty much shit right now too. And I get that you were venting. It just makes me mad when suicide is taken too lightly, and I guess a lot of it is that I have...Quite a bit of knowledge about it, and how it can affect people.

When you try to kill yourself multiple times in a year, and you have some close brushes, you learn a thing or two, and realize a thing or two about what will happen when you're gone.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #6
averygamerdude
Banned

Quote:
Because you're kind of wrong, no offense. I mean, suicide is a victimless crime to the person who commits it maybe- in which case homicide is as well- is the person going to know any better? No. They're dead.

The whole point of "victimless" means that no one but the perpetrator is affected... And that isn't even close to correct in this case.

Honestly? I do feel for you there, because my life is pretty much shit right now too. And I get that you were venting. It just makes me mad when suicide is taken too lightly, and I guess a lot of it is that I have...Quite a bit of knowledge about it, and how it can affect people.

When you try to kill yourself multiple times in a year, and you have some close brushes, you learn a thing or two, and realize a thing or two about what will happen when you're gone.
I know what you're saying, I just have a LOT of problems right now. Some of which are unsolvable, but I know that you'll disagree.
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #7
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
I know what you're saying, I just have a LOT of problems right now. Some of which are unsolvable, but I know that you'll disagree.
In which case I guess we can agree to disagree, I guess. I just don't like suicide being treated so flippantly.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:27 PM   #8
averygamerdude
Banned

I still wish I was dead, though.
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #9
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
I still wish I was dead, though.
Hey, I understand.

I'm not expecting my words to just automatically make you feel different, because I know they won't. And I know that you're rationalizing things at this point (Which means you need to get help, because that is a very dangerous place to be. I know.), however, I'm not going to pussyfoot around the topic either.

And you know, maybe I was a little harsh, and I'm sorry for that, it's just hard for me to not feel angry or emotional over a topic like this.

I know that all the factual information about death and suicide, all the horror stories in the world couldn't change your mind because I've been there. I know what it's like to just want to be gone. I still feel that way. A lot. Certainly a lot more than I let on here, or anywhere else.

The thing is, I'm sick. I have bipolar disorder, I have generalized anxiety disorder, and my old therapist hinted very heavily that I might have borderline personality disorder.

It is practically normal for me to want to die. Because I'm sick. Were I healthy and sound of mind, this would not be normal.

Suicidal thoughts are a symptom of illness. You are sick. Sick people need help. If you were able to get help, you might find that you find a reason to live. That dying isn't such an obvious option anymore.

I'm not saying you'll be "cured", and I'm not even saying that you'll never have your lows ever again... But life can be kind of nice. Don't you have dreams? Goals? Don't you have some crazy fantasy that makes you happy inside until you remember just how crazy it is?

Reality can really hurt, but sometimes, we don't realize that reality isn't static, unmoving. You can change what happens in your life to some extent. Always. I promise.

I'm not saying you need to suck it up- I'd be a total hypocrite, and I don't believe it as it is.

I'm just saying that I know you're in a seriously tough place right now, and while my first reaction is to be angry at you for not "having a better attitude" or some bullshit- who knows

The truth is, I can relate to what you're saying. A lot. Ok? You're not alone.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Ben_Frost
Member++

Ben_Frost's Forum Picture

Name: Benjamin

Quote:
I seriously don't get it. I feel like people should have the right to kill themselves if they so wish. It's not like they're hurting anybody, it's a victimless crime, in fact! Even though I'm sure everyone will disagree. I think it's selfish to try and stop somebody from killing themselves. It's their choice! If they're dead, they won't be able to feel pain or work for like 10 cents an hour. I also found out that they're building a suicide net on the Golden Gate bridge. Looks like I'm gonna have to bring a blow torch with me when I jump off of there...
It's selfish to kill yourself too, because you're not stopping to think the consequences this might have on other people. You're just looking for the easy way out for YOU and aren't giving a second though to how this may impact certain people who might actually care about you that you haven't considered. Seriously looking for a justification for suicide is way more selfish than someone trying to prevent it.

I should have known it was all a lie...

To another reality.
Ben_Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #11
ImagineRepublicCity
Nice Poster

ImagineRepublicCity's Forum Picture

Name: Nat Aki

I know it may be like 'Hey, people suck.' But after losing so many precious people this year and last year, 2 for sickness and 1 from suicide, it really hurts. See, the difference is is that it can be helped. People don't have to suffer, they just have to find someone, whereas I understand euthanasia, those are terminal illnesses which cannot be treated and cause severe pain, but even if that was legalised (here anyway), there would be a lot of rules. Suicide is a selfish kinda act I think, because when you kill yourself, you affect everyone around you, whereas if someone tries to stop you, it stops you hurting everyone around you and hey, you get to live. I think that's a bonus.

THere are always helplines and people which want to help, but some people just don't find those people, but it can always be helped. Things don't have to end there and then with suicide.

If you need someone, talk to me, because no one wants you to commit suicide.

"Inspiration is always the key to success. Maybe that's why I'm still failing."

Need someone to talk to? Need advice? PM me!
Nat, the laziest girl on earth.

ImagineRepublicCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #12
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

killing yourself is never the answer, no matter how much pain you are in. besides, the damage it does to the loved ones you leave behind...it can literally destroy the people you leave behind

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:31 AM   #13
James Dean
Rebel

James Dean's Forum Picture

Name: Charles

Usually people contemplating suicide feel alone and helpless. Knowing suicide signs from a loved one or even a stranger, and preventing a suicide from happening is very important and is sadly often overlooked and not fully understood. I don't find it selfish at all. It would be selfish if I saw someone in dire help and didn't do anything.

The fact someone is coming to aid to help them and possibly save them from making a rash and permanent decision to a most often than not temporary problem, and enlightening them with the realization that, someone is there for them, you are loved, live life the way it's meant to be. You're letting the bullies, the enemies, the evil thoughts win. We are all winners and all have a place in the earth.

VM
PM

"You could stop at five or six stores, or just one."
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:38 AM   #14
AussieBoi98

Name: Jay

Quote:

I fully disagree it isn't a victimless crime it affects your entire family your friends and just about anyone you had a relationship of some sort with and i think people try to stop others because the one trying to commit suicide arnt thinking right at the time but the person who's trying to stop you normally is, if i seen someone trying to kill themselves id try and stop them.
AussieBoi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #15
averygamerdude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Frost View Post
It's selfish to kill yourself too, because you're not stopping to think the consequences this might have on other people. You're just looking for the easy way out for YOU and aren't giving a second though to how this may impact certain people who might actually care about you that you haven't considered. Seriously looking for a justification for suicide is way more selfish than someone trying to prevent it.
I'm just planning on doing it because I'm tired of this bulls***!

TIRED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkat View Post
I'm not saying you'll be "cured", and I'm not even saying that you'll never have your lows ever again... But life can be kind of nice. Don't you have dreams? Goals?
Well, I used to have dreams and goals. And sure, I guess life can be kinda nice, but not completely. It has to be completely nice and I need to have recovered all the time I lost doing useless bulls***. The latter is impossible. Which means there's no point in going on if I'm just gonna be putting up with infinite bulls***.

Posts Merged~ ImagineRepublicCity

Last edited by ImagineRepublicCity; October 21st, 2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old October 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #16
Pulp501
Nice Poster

Name: Brennon

I'm kind of appalled at what you said. For the same reasons that others have already explained. Anytime someone is trying to commit suicide you should try to stop them, but if they succeed it doesn't mean they were selfish, just mentally ill. Also, suicide isn't really a "choice". Its a conscious decision, but when you are so depressed that you want to kill yourself you aren't in the right state of mind, you cant always completely comprehend what your doing and what the consequences will be.

PM sometime, I love to talk

RIP Mama <3
Pulp501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #17
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp501 View Post
I'm kind of appalled at what you said. For the same reasons that others have already explained. Anytime someone is trying to commit suicide you should try to stop them, but if they succeed it doesn't mean they were selfish, just mentally ill. Also, suicide isn't really a "choice". Its a conscious decision, but when you are so depressed that you want to kill yourself you aren't in the right state of mind, you cant always completely comprehend what your doing and what the consequences will be.
Basically, I couldn't say it any better than this. I know you're pretty insistent on knowing what you think you want, but the truth is that you're depressed, and that kinda inhibits you from the clarity of mind needed to make that decision.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #18
averygamerdude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp501 View Post
There are no bad things that'll happen if you're dead, though.
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #19
Hideous
Warlord

Hideous's Forum Picture

Name: John

Quote:
There are no bad things that'll happen if you're dead, though.
Yeah, but like what Ren said, it'll have a huge impact on those who really care about you. Do you really want to see them suffer? (not trying to pick on you or anything) but there's so much to life, why end it? Try to find the good in the bad, and if you feel hopeless, you have friends and family to guide you.

“Everyone leaves, learn how to survive alone.”
“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
(they/them)

~alluring was here (naw wait he's dead)

Last edited by Hideous; October 20th, 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Hideous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 05:50 PM   #20
averygamerdude
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluring View Post
Yeah, but like what Ren said, it'll have a huge impact on those who really care about you. Do you really want to see them suffer? (not trying to pick on you or anything) but there's so much to life, why end it? Try to find the good in the bad, and if you feel hopeless, you have friends and family to guide you.
But the bad outnumbers the good 100/1. About me impacting them, it's not fair that I have to stay on this planet in horrible agony, but if I'm dead, I can't feel pain, and I won't be able to see them suffer. Also, why end it? The question really is... Why not end it?!